Author Topic: Virtual Console  (Read 25748 times)

Offline thepoga

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Virtual Console
« on: November 21, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
So what games have people gotten so far?

The games are overpriced, but I got Donkey Kong for fun. Where's Duck Hunt?!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:57:27 PM »
As I'm a completionist, I picked up Legend of Zelda just now...I'll be picking up Gunstar Heroes when it comes out, which will hopefully be before the end of the year...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:26 PM »
I thought we already had a thread for this but I can't find it so here goes.

Right now I have Sim City, Solomons Key and Mario Bros. Either next week or latter this week when i get mor emoney Imma get Sonic and Bonks Adventure followed by Bomberman. Then I might check out F-Zero and see if it got better then the last time I played it.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
Has anyone gotten Mario 64 yet?  I'm interested to hear if there are any improvements to gameplay performance.

Offline D_MaN87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
I got mario 64.  No improvements to gameplay performance as far as I've seen.  (also got sonic)
Wii Number: 1080 3358 2033 2880
FF3 Number: 2620 7985 5351
Diddy Kong Racing DS: 0688 1563 4718

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:55:54 PM »
I picked up Bonk's Adventure today.

Offline WPack911

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
I have Sonic and Bonk.  Both are great games, I had never played a Turbo Graphix-16 game before and had never played Bonk before, I am pleasantly surprised on both fronts.  
Does Nintendo Still rule after all these years?  Maybe now more then ever.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 04:21:35 PM »
I bought F-Zero and (uggh...) Altered Beast. Man, Altered Beast was a pretty crappy impulse buy. If I researched it for a second I would not have bought it and would not be begging my mom for money to buy TurboGrafx games.  
Thanks for listening.

Offline Tansunn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »
So the N64 games don't have any noticeable improvement over the originals, huh?  It'd be nice if they had improved framerates to smooth things out, but hopefully they won't end up any worse, like OoT and MM seemed to on the Zelda Collection.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
I must be turning into one of those hardcore gamers I hear about bouying MS up on XBLA...

I bought 3000 Wii Points on launch day, but only spent 800 on Sonic that day since they didn't have Super Star Soldier or Gunstar Heroes, and I hesitated on Sim City.

When I go back home for thanksgiving, I'll buy more Wii Points and get my Sim City, my Super Mario 64... and MAYBE bomberman...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »
Buyer's remorse for using 500 points on Donkey Kong. Not that it's bad, but 3 levels and it's basically done.

I also got F-Zero; I predict fun times ahead on that one.
"wow."

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 11:26:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Tansunn
So the N64 games don't have any noticeable improvement over the originals, huh?  It'd be nice if they had improved framerates to smooth things out, but hopefully they won't end up any worse, like OoT and MM seemed to on the Zelda Collection.

No. It was announced by Nintendo that none of the games on the virtual console would be altered at all. The games are supposed to play exactly as they did on their respective original consoles - faults and all.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline MilkManX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 02:09:12 AM »
I am a sucker for the VC.

I got Mario 64,Donkey Kong,Bonks Adventure and Bomberman 93'

Personally the TG16 seem to be the most bang for your buck! Bomberman even does 5 players!
Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 02:26:30 AM »

No. It was announced by Nintendo that none of the games on the virtual console would be altered at all. The games are supposed to play exactly as they did on their respective original consoles - faults and all.

What I'm praying for here is a solid framerate, even if it only 15-20 fps.  It would be nice to play some of the four player games like Vigiliante 8 and Perfect Dark without the terrible slow downs.  Unless the developers hardcoded framerate drops, games like those should maintain their "optimum" speeds.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 02:36:46 AM »
A long time ago, I spent a few hours playing Bonk in the front of an electronics store in the mall.  I was very impressed by the graphics back then, and the game was plenty of fun, but there was no way my family could afford a TG16.  Today it's not quite as bright and colorful as I remembered it, but it's still pretty neat.

Once I had some points, it was pretty difficult to avoid temptation by two of my all time favorite SNES games.  I convinced myself that I didn't have time to play SimCity, but F-Zero is such a perfect virtual console game that I couldn't avoid it.  I know I could just plug it into my SNES, but now I can play a race whenever I feel like it without switching inputs, ejecting cartridges, and untangling controllers.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 02:55:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Rhoq

Originally posted by: Tansunn

This is a lie, because Zelda's framerate is noticably smoother than the original...(Sonic has a perfect framerate as well...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 02:57:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
This is a lie, because Zelda's framerate is noticably smoother than the original...(Sonic has a perfect framerate as well...)

Imagine that, Nintendo telling a lie! Well at least this was a good lie.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline MLS_man_64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 03:45:59 AM »
Got:  Donkey Kong, Sim City, Mario 64, Sonic, and Bonk.

One from every system, I am completed
"I want to be some muscle bound guy dressed like Rambo with a huge gattling gun shooting aliens while I'm snowboarding down an erupting volcano."---Ian Sane

"If you put a $10 ticket up two bucks, that's a 40 per cent jump," he said.---The Toronto Star

If a broken 360 is on a store shel

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »
You know, other than Solomon's Key, I haven't seen a single game on here I'd buy.  Seriously, anything I'd be interested in I have in another form, whether it's Zelda from the GameCube collector's disc, Super Mario 64 DS, the umpteen versions of Mario Bros. on GBA, etc.

Show me some really interesting choices and I might consider it.  Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley, for example.  Maybe Blast Corps. for the N64 (did Rare keep that license, or Nintendo?), hell, gimme Sin and Punishment.  Seriously, just gimme some of the rarer stuff that Nintendo hasn't been already shoving down our throats and I'll bite.

So an interesting thing I noticed the other day.  The "Classic" Controller has two analog sticks.  Why?  The N64 only had one, and you have to use a GameCube controller to play GameCube games.  Why is there as second stick?  Could we end up seeing some VC originals?
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 04:28:57 AM »
I'm convinced there will be some original content released through the VC. It's crazy how much potential this console has.

Offline ShreddersDojo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 05:01:29 AM »
Anyone know when DuckHunt will be released?  I havn't played this since I first got my NES, but it was fun.

I also hope the Ninja Turtles games will eventually be released, as well as some Arcade games that are UNCHANGED due to 'rights issues'.

I'd love to see the Simpsons and Real Ghostbusters available for download.  Maybe even a Simpsons sequal game by Konami .

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 05:08:11 AM »
There never were framerate issues on Sonic for Genesis. The only time there was ever slow down was when playing 2 player split screan but that wasnt till Sonic 2 and 3. The Genesis handled it self pretty well.

And to the dude who hates Altered Beast, it is a classic man they game that SOLD the Genesis at first, but I can see how someone who never played it before would be disapointed. Just think back to 1988 when NEs was the ting we were all playing and along came Altered beast, back then it was SUPER impressive. I want to DL it just for nastalgia sake but if yo didn't enjoy it back then you will hate it now it didn't age very well at all.

You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 05:09:09 AM »
"So an interesting thing I noticed the other day. The "Classic" Controller has two analog sticks. Why? The N64 only had one, and you have to use a GameCube controller to play GameCube games. Why is there as second stick? Could we end up seeing some VC originals?"

I figure it's one of two things.

1. The classic controller is also supposed to be used by Wii games that use more traditional controls.  Thus it is designed more for making new console games then working well for old ones.

2. Whoever was assigned the task of designing the classic controller didn't really know what games would be used for the thing so they went with a generic Playstation design.  In other words they had the techincal expertise to design a working controller but not the historical game knowledge to know that it doesn't work well for N64 games.  Nintendo's top people were probably too busy with the remote itself so the classic controller was assigned to less knowledgable people.  It's like how classic compilations are usually handed off to teams that don't know sh!t and thus do stupid things like breaking the random select in Mortal Kombat II or reversing the A & B buttons in Mega Man Anniversary Collection.  Hell the odd choices of initial VC games suggests that whoever is in charge of the VC doesn't have the knowledge of game history that they should have.

Offline ProtoNY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 05:14:59 AM »
Anyone know who holds the old Sunsoft licenses?  I would love to see Master Blaster on the VC.  Also, I particularly was fond of Fester's Quest and Gremlins.

Some other notable games that I would get in a heartbeat:

Wizards and Warriors
Ghosts and Goblins
Rygar

I was just able to connect to the Wii Store today.  Changed the channel on my router, since I there seemed to be enough noise for the Wii to continually be unable to find the network.  Seems good so far!  Not sure what I am getting today.  Maybe just all of them.  ;-)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 05:18:17 AM »
I've still got my NES Wizards and Warriors cart.  I loved that game back in the day.  Now it really sucks.    
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153