Author Topic: PSP Slim  (Read 17635 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
RE:PSP Slim
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
I don't care what you think of the PSP as a gaming machine.  I don't care if you don't like the games or think they are all basically ports.  The fact is, several have sold well.  The fact is, the PSP continues to sell pretty well.  The fact is, the DS didn't vastly oversell the PSP in most markets until it received a revision.  The fact is, Sony is the strongest handheld gaming platform maker to go against Nintendo ever in this segment of the industry.  If you want to write that off like it's nothing, go ahead.  The numbers disagree, though.  They disagree completely.  They say the PSP is a viable platform, and if there's some sort of spark, it could still take off as a gaming machine.

Is there any actual reason why it wouldn't  After all, it is the next best selling platform behind Nintendo's duo at the moment, meaning that interest is still being maintained.  So if what Ceric's number showed isn't enough proof for you, what would be?

It wasn't the revision alone which propeled the DS into the lead. You may recall that New Super Mario Bros. came out that same month, and it is selling extremely well even today (a year later). I do agree with you the revision did a lot for Nintendo's success, but it wasn't the only thing. Great games were part of it.
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: PSP Slim
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »
The original DS was also a pretty ugly system that needed a revision.  It had aboslutely horrible aesthetics.  When the psp first came out I must have heard every game website use the word "sexy" to describe it again and again.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
My problems with the PSP have always been.

Price,
Load Times,
Cost of Games,
Battery Life,
Memory Card Costs

Now, this revision (If it is True) will eliminate most of these complaints.  Battery life improved, Load Times will be improved with better drives, and if it comes with 8GB solid state memory then Memory cards will not be necessary.  

So it finally means that the PSP's only problems are Price and Cost of games.  That is something that can be forgiven by many people depending on what kind of games you like...and possibly even forgiven by me.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2007, 04:54:24 PM »
It was a combination of the revision, a great game for "hardcore" gamers of sorts, and a non-game, all being pushed at the same time.

It looks like the PSP will be getting at least 2 of 3 of those things at about the same time with Crisis Core.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1  Why else do you think people buy these things?

I have no idea.

I've heard so many stories of disappointed PSP owners that I can't fathom people buying  them still.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »
I don't know why they buy it either but some of them force the use out of it as to actually get their moneys worth.
Its not really practical as an mp3 player cause you can get much smaller and more dedicated hardware for that. Its not all that perfect for watching movies cause you can get much bigger and more dedicated hardware that uses existing media that you probably already own. It is good for games, but not if you have to run them off of the UMD cause the load time are atrocious (from what I hear). But they'll rip a movie and some other videos and put some music on a mem stick, then try to flaunt the system in front of me like I would be impressed. Its not my fault that they have to somehow try and justify their purchase to everyone else now, no one seems to really care.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2007, 09:06:18 PM »
Wait a second what are all these PSP games that sold so well? I really don't see the revision doing much for them until they get off their port kick and release some decent games that are unique to the system. One reason why I think PSP is struggling is because of its use of UMDs, which make for a pretty brittle system that will not hold up well as time goes on, while something like the NDS can last for YEARS upon YEARS because it has no moving parts.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2007, 03:43:53 AM »
As I said.  If Sony was smart they start doing things on the PSP digitally.  Forget about the UMD.  Have it for people who want hardcopies.  Then, if they can figure it out, start releasing PS2 games for the System as well, of course you couldn't release the ones that used all the buttons but that still leaves quiet a few.  Digital Distribution and the cheaper prices it allow would really help the PSP.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2007, 06:12:24 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
The main group of buyers of the PSP revision will likely be "homebrew" people who are sick of their current PSP's short battery life.

Yeah except this new PSP will probably come with a new firmware and new anti-homebrew technology.
that will be cracked a few days later, as usual....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
For being a Nintendo fansite, we sure spend a lot of time thinking of ways to improve the products of their competition.

Sony executives are probably reading this thread and gathering ideas.
is your sanity...

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2007, 07:15:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Chozo Ghost
For being a Nintendo fansite, we sure spend a lot of time thinking of ways to improve the products of their competition.

I hope so, that might let Nintendo improve their product further with more innovation and an even cooler concept than the DS. Plus I wouldn't mind picking up a PSP. The more quality gaming machines out there the better, as long as the software selection matches the product's quality.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2007, 07:30:14 AM »

Sony executives are probably reading this thread and stealing ideas.

Fixed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2007, 09:33:20 AM »

Were all just to nice.  I'm an INTJ so its just one of those things.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »
lol i bet sony is just praying that u continue being nice.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2007, 10:34:16 AM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
He was also the only person I knew that was feverishly going out and buying UMD movies to watch "cause the quality was great" or some such nonsense like that.

Dude, you need new friends!! Or friends who don't need glasses at least.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
He's is older and obviously needs glasses. I have accepted that and moved on.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2007, 08:22:17 AM »
New Information/Rumors

-"[T]he updated PSP won't have big speed increases and will be outfitted with a slot UMD loader"
-"[The screen is] the same size [as the current one] and is "Sidekick-esque." That would give the portable a "flip-factor" and decrease the system's overall size"
-New controls for UMD movie chapter and music skipping
-Screen is still LCD, not LED as previous information indicated
-Sony is considering adding Bluetooth capabilities
-4 GB of on-board memory, not 8 GB
-"[T]his new PSP would eventually replace all existing models. Pricing is "currently the same," and the release date is Fall 07"

Looks like BnM might have been on the right track when he guessed a clam-shell design.  I also find it interesting that the PSP Slim will replace the existing model and not work in conjunction with it.  My guess would have been that Sony drops the price of the existing model and positions the PSP Slim as a high-end version.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2007, 08:45:27 AM »
Sounds to me like they'll be releasing it at $170.  The DS took a similar pricing route, with a price drop occurring first, then a hardware change at the same price as the hardware before it, without the older DS changing price either, but rather being silently discontinued, as far as I can tell.

I can't see what good Bluetooth could do for the PSP, though someone else may be able to tell me, but as far as I've always thought, Bluetooth is like a weaker, cheaper substitute to Wifi, mostly used so smaller devices can work wireless and still be pretty inexpensive, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this feature be useless unless they were planning some sort of headset hardware, too?  And if that were to happen, I suppose that means they plan to turn it into a phone, I would think.

To this extent, like a few people have said beforehand, making the device a download platform may be a better switch for Sony.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
I just found out the PSP has the Power Stone Collection, now I NEED to get one. POwer Stone 2 beats Smash Brothers with an ugly stick.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
Keep telling yourself that.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2007, 12:40:25 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Sounds to me like they'll be releasing it at $170.  The DS took a similar pricing route, with a price drop occurring first, then a hardware change at the same price as the hardware before it, without the older DS changing price either, but rather being silently discontinued, as far as I can tell.

I can't see what good Bluetooth could do for the PSP, though someone else may be able to tell me, but as far as I've always thought, Bluetooth is like a weaker, cheaper substitute to Wifi, mostly used so smaller devices can work wireless and still be pretty inexpensive, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this feature be useless unless they were planning some sort of headset hardware, too?  And if that were to happen, I suppose that means they plan to turn it into a phone, I would think.

To this extent, like a few people have said beforehand, making the device a download platform may be a better switch for Sony.

I think Bluetooth is basically a way for devices to communicate and interact with one another but without wires/cables. Think of it is a wireless form of USB.

Does the PS3 have bluetooth capability? If it does then the advantage to the PSP having it is rather obvious as it would allow them to communicate and exchange files and such without a cable. Same with laptops and desktops that have Bluetooth capability... and don't forget the bluetooth headsets that people use with cellphones. Lots of potential use for them on the PSP for communication and such.

Nintendo had better be thinking of a bluetooth enables DS....
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Keep telling yourself that.

I have yet to play a game that has quite the interaction with the enviroment or the mayhem as PS2.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
But Chozo_Ghost, doesn't Wifi already allow that to happen?

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »
Power Stone was pretty frickin amazing, but I dont think it has anything on Smash
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

I have yet to play a game that has quite the interaction with the enviroment or the mayhem as PS2.

What about Katamari Damacy?  Oh, wait, there's one of those on the PSP, too.  Well darn!  The system may just have the good games we all 'know' it doesn't have.  Seriously, Nintendo can't let Sony take advantage of this hardware launch.