Author Topic: Wii U System Update v3.1.0 Now Available  (Read 2757 times)

Offline CurtDogg

• Staff Writer, Twitch Streamer
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Wii U System Update v3.1.0 Now Available
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »

The big summer update has also been pushed to the fall.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34881

A new Wii U system firmware update, Version 3.1.0 U, is now available for download.

The update has the usual stability and performance updates, but now allows the SpotPass functionality to operate even while the system is powered down – similar to WiiConnect24. The update also allows the download and installation of software updates as well as the download of system updates while the system is powered down. System updates that are downloaded this way are then installed once the Wii U console is turned on.

Nintendo also mentioned that the previously announced summer update, that will add new features and further improve load times, has been delayed. The update will be arriving somewhere in between late September and early October.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U System Update v3.1.0 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:40 PM »
Nintendo also mentioned that the previously announced Summer update, that will add new features and further improve load times, has been delayed. The update will be arriving somewhere in between late September and early October.

Well, no one's buying or playing their Wii U's this Summer (there's nothing to play on the thing, anyway), so I suppose Nintendo didn't feel there was a need to fast-track making the UI remotely tolerable.  *sigh*  Apparently the console truly will be re-launching this Fall in every conceivable way.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
So basically a nearly useless update and a delay of the big one. Le sigh Nintendo. What are you doing over there?
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:28:11 AM »
hopefully this fixes Netflix... my main use of my Wii U at the moment, when ever I do happen to turn it on.

Offline Arganos

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
Just downloaded the update and tried Netflix.... It crashed on the first load...  :(      So no Netflix fix on this update
Nintendo Network ID:   Arganos

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »
My Netflix loads crazy fast now. I go from bootup of Wii U to Netflix to streaming a show/movie in 30 seconds or less.

This update did something.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:22:13 PM »
TVii does nothing where I live. Fixing that would mean something??
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
I've has some folks on my Twitter feed claiming that this update has definitely sped up their load times as an external HDD user, whatever Nintendo might say is in the patch.  I'm going to start that patch tonight, myself, and see if it makes a difference because I'm hovering around 12 second load times right now.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 03:17:09 AM »
Yes, it's definitely sped up load times as an HDD user... it doesn't randomly hang up on stuff anymore. I don't know if that was a problem with everybody or just with certain hard drives.
I also don't know if they've also fixed the lagginess with background installs, but offline installation is very welcome.
I was able to fix my Netflix before the update by deleting my profile... it still fails occasionally, but not 90% of the time like before.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »
Well, I did just the system update and did a test run on New Super Mario Bros. U, and my HDD-enhanced Wii U is no faster now than it was before. In fact, it may even be worse.  I timed it at 15 seconds loading into game from the moment I pressed the button, and 8 seconds loading out of game back to the main UI.  That's still beyond unacceptable.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »
I should mention I only know it sped up the system menu and Netflix for me... I haven't tried actual games yet, or software loaded from external HD. It's still slow, but not as bad as before.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:58:43 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report