Author Topic: Mistwalker's "The Last Story" out in NA via XSEED!  (Read 172295 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Now I only have two questions:
  • Will XSEED release a special edition?  (I'm guessing yes, but have absolutely nothing to back that up.)
  • How will online work between regions?  (Presumably it won't.)
I know it's a long way off before we'll know, but I'm still curious.

I have no idea ejamer. There is that forum I linked to though...

Sorry - all rhetorical.  I'm just excited and talking to myself.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Xeed is publishing Last Story for the states so all those that didn't want to mod their wii's can now play the game later this year.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Yep its been posted but thanks for keeping us up to date Ymeegod  for those that don't check the Talkback threads right away. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:47:00 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Something like Skyrim or Fallout is generally referred to as a Western RPG. WoW or Star Wars: The Old Republic are MMOs, which should probably be treated as their own separate category.

I also remember the term CRPG, which I personally always understood to stand for Computer RPG. My perception is that these were/are generally more old-school than modern day Western RPGs, much slower-paced, with extremely intensive tactical turn-based combat and plenty of stats, more akin to custom computerized pen-and-paper experiences. Think NeverWinter Nights, but even more complex and esoteric.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Gameboy Freak

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Wow! I might actually get this game!  ;D Sniff..sniff... Whats that I smell? Gamestop exclusive?! Nevermind......

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
As far as I know, The Last Story isn't GameStop exclusive. Xenoblade kind of is if you can't be bothered to buy it through Nintendo's website directly.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
He probably mixed up the games. Anyway. I was checking my twitter yesterday and I saw some tweets from OPRainfall about preorders.One in peticular caught my eye. One from Amazon. In other words I think its safe to say this is going to get spread around to the major retailers.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007CSF3GO/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Also Gamestop is as well.

There also seems to be a Video Games Plus Online store in Canada that is taking preorders.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19814

Also I will be posting reviews in the next post as I find them since it is out today in Europe if you are on the fence or in you are in the America's and want to spoil yourself with info.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:23:08 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Canadian retailer link, Maxi. Didn't know about them.
Too bad they charge shipping. Not much, but I can still get it elsewhere with free shipping so...
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:26:49 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Does the main villain of this game remind anyone of Ganon? I am talking about that red haired guy with the bad attitude? He reminds me of Ganon from Legend of Zelda.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Hmm what point does he show up in the trailer Kytim?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Gameboy Freak

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
I'm a bit torn at the moment. Which game should I buy this or Xenoblade Chronicles? They both look really interesting but I am on a budget.  :(

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
@Gameboy Freak

Which one seems more interesting to you? If I absolutely had to pick one, I would personally go with The Last Story. It reminds me of Final Fantasy IX, the last major non-Mario RPG I really liked. If you're undecided, you might want to pick up whichever one gets the more limited release which seems like Xenoblade since it's only available in stores from a single retailer though The Last Story is probably not getting a huge print run either.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:40:02 PM by Adrock »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
I'm a bit torn at the moment. Which game should I buy this or Xenoblade Chronicles? They both look really interesting but I am on a budget.  :(

F**k your budget. Xenoblade's in April, Last Story's in the summer, you can surely afford both.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
@Gameboy Freak

Which one seems more interesting to you? If I absolutely had to pick one, I would personally go with The Last Story. It reminds me of Final Fantasy IX, the last major non-Mario RPG I really liked. If you're undecided, you might want to pick up whichever one gets the more limited release which seems like Xenoblade since it's only available in stores from a single retailer though The Last Story is probably not getting a huge print run.

How does Last Story remind you of Final Fantasy IX? I have noticed this myself, but I have not been able to explain how the two compare to each other. 

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.

Here is another thing to consider. Xenoblade from what I can tell is more focused on Single player while The Last Story does have multiplayer elements.Think it has 6 player online.  What type of gamer are you? Which matters more to you?

Kytim I do see the similarities but I wonder if the similarities are any deeper then looks?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:54:33 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
How does Last Story remind you of Final Fantasy IX? I have noticed this myself, but I have not been able to explain how the two compare to each other.
Have you seen Final Fantasy X-XIV? The Last Story looks like the opposite if that. It's old-school Final Fantasy, not that George Lucas-esque BS Square Enix has been passing off as Final Fantasy for the past decade.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
I've seen most of the trailers, and nothing about them reminds me of that mediocre nostalgia-fest known as Final Fantasy IX.  Honestly, what The Last Story reminds me of most in places is Final Fantasy XII in its look and color palette, while the combat reminds me somewhat of the Mass Effect series.

As for recommending between Xenoblade and The Last Story, I own Xenoblade (though I still haven't gotten around to finishing it yet) so perhaps I'm a bit biased but I would recomend Xenoblade if you can only own one.  It seems the more well-rounded game with a much more pleasing artistic look, a bigger and more interesting world, and reportedly a better story.  The Last Story certainly looks interesting and I'm going to buy it when it hits NA, but the game's been getting lower reviews than Xenoblade and I've just never liked the look of the game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
Have you seen Final Fantasy X-XIV? The Last Story looks like the opposite if that. It's old-school Final Fantasy, not that George Lucas-esque BS Square Enix has been passing off as Final Fantasy for the past decade.

Xenoblade and Last Story seem to be the modern day equivalent to both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. Granted that those two titles will always be reveered by RPG fans the world over, I do see Xenoblade and Last Story as being spiritual successors in the sense of redefining the RPG. They certainly rekindled my interest that was killed off by Final Fantasy 13.

The best games on the Final Fantasy series will always be VI, VII, VIII and IX. Those game kicked ass and really made the series shine, of course that was when Sakaguchi was still with Sqaure though. Looking at Final Fantasy 13 I can see where the real talent in that series went to after he left the company.

I wonder if Sakaguchi and Mistwalker would work with Square on Final Fantasy XV under contract? It would interesting to see the next console Final Fantasy go back to its roots in the same manner as FF IX did back when it was released. 

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
They certainly rekindled my interest that was killed off by Final Fantasy 13.

Alright, quick question: did you actually play Final Fantasy 13 and give it a fair shot, or (as usual) did you have your opinion defined by whatever random thing someone else recently said?

The best games on the Final Fantasy series will always be VI, VII, VIII and IX. Those game kicked ass and really made the series shine, of course that was when Sakaguchi was still with Sqaure though. Looking at Final Fantasy 13 I can see where the real talent in that series went to after he left the company.

Hah!  Seriously?  You seriously think 8 was one of the best of the series, the game with one of the most boring and broken combat systems ever devised for a game?  The game that has one of the worst and most convoluted stories in all of Final Fantasy (and that's saying something)? 

I can understand (but don't agree with) people putting 7 as one of the top games, as it was many peoples' first Final Fantasy and their perspective is clouded by nostalgia.  I accept the FF 4 fans in much the same way.  But I just don't understand the love affair people have with 9.  I like it.  Zidane is one of my favorite FF characters with his boundless optimism, and I liked the ending.  It's in the upper end of my list of favorite Final Fantasies.  But when I think back upon all the time I put into 9, aside from the skill-learning system with weapons and armor I just can't think of anything special or noteworthy about the game (hence why I call it mediocre).  It's nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, which is cute for a time but grows tiresome after a while.

I wonder if Sakaguchi and Mistwalker would work with Square on Final Fantasy XV under contract? It would interesting to see the next console Final Fantasy go back to its roots in the same manner as FF IX did back when it was released.

I find myself in the very odd situation of actually being in the same boat as die-hard Trekkers: Final Fantasy needs to move forward.  Going backward into nostalgia fantasyland because people want to believe the old Final Fantasies were better than they actually is not the answer.  Series have to continually redefine themselves for the modern era, and FF is no different.  Besides, we have enough Swords & Sorcery RPGs with just about every other franchise.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:10:04 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
All I know is that I badly wanted Squall to die in VIII.

Anyway, got TLS, didn't leave a good first impression in the first 30 minutes but we'll see how it develops.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Seifer was the worst villian/pansy in FFVIII--how many times did you have to beat him?

I like FFIX myself but found it to be shorter than most FF games, took less than 30 hours but I did enjoy the character ViVi, reminds me of Orko from He-man series.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
If choosing between Xenoblade and The Last Story, take Xenoblade.

I haven't played The Last Story... yet still feel confident saying this because Xenoblade is an amazing game.  The Last Story might be worse or might be equally amazing, but I'm confident it won't be better.
NNID: ejamer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
After a fairly slow and confusing start it got much better, really loving the combat so far. It was just the intro combat bit and then being dropped into a town with lots of exposition that killed my enthusiasm at first.

There are some major framerate problems in larger battles though, really difficult to properly take cover and do those surprise attacks.