Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 616284 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1900 on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO1QBTG6EXs

the costume designer is on my deviant watch list, and its too bad they didn't use her because she looks just like Zelda.

http://theprincesszelda.deviantart.com/gallery/

edit: nevermind. I watch several Zelda Cosplayers.

this is the one that looks like the real deal

http://akuriko.deviantart.com/gallery/1442256?offset=24#/d2feszr
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:53:38 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1901 on: November 22, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
This was actually the one I was referring to. Try to ignore the pretentiousness at the very beginning and throughout.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 22, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »
I think I've finally gotten a handle on the flying. Enough that landing on the small islands is now doable. So far I've been loving the game. Controls are fine. Sometimes I have to remind myself to slow down as to make sure my movements are read correctly.  When I turned off the game tonight I was 8 hours and 22 minutes into the game. Currently at the second temple entrance. Actually just entered it before I turned it off. Been taking breaks to run around Skyloft and flying. The world itself as a dungeon is very true and it's even more clear leading up to the second dungeon I believe.

This game certainly will take a while to beat. I love it. :)

I do now know due to looking back,and seeing the Sheikah Stone entry on the first boss fight I made that fight a lot harder on myself. Ugh.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:09 AM »
Well, I'm planting my flag at the start of the second, volcanic region after doing some sidequests in Skyloft and earning enough money to buy an iron shield; all the wallet extensions; and upgrade my old wooden one to the 2nd tier.  *sigh*  I could really do without grinding being added to the Zelda experience through these weapon/shield upgrades, since the drop rate seems to be so ridiculously low.  I have to admit, the scene that happens when you go for the Heart Piece in the Pumpkin Juice bar was hilarious.   :D

One thing I didn't bring up earlier, though, was what seems to be the reoccurring evil character.  Honestly, I don't like him as a villain so far.  He just seems to be Nintendo's attempt to create a character even weirder than Tingle...and that's it.  I know what that sounds like, but I see this "weird, vaguely-homosexual" crap in anime all the time, and it just gets tiresome because the joke is often the beginning and end to the character.  *sigh* I just see Fox News jumping all over this and blowing it out of context, as usual with their VG news.  I'll see how I like him as a villain as the game goes on.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:23:42 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 22, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
On a side note, I'm listening to the 25th Anniversary Symphony CD that came with Skyward Sword, and it's an excellent CD.  Comparing it with the actual set list from the concert, we're definitely missing 8 tracks: Hyrule Castle, Princess Zelda's Theme, Ocarina Medley Suite, Boss Battle Medley, Ganondorf's Theme, The LoZ Selected Shorts Suite, Hyrule Field from Ocarina, and Grandma's Theme from Wind Waker.

I kind of miss the Ocarina Medley, though Gerudo Valley and Kakariko Village are on the CD so I don't think we're missing much there (except for the Final Ganon boss theme, which is a favorite track of mine).  All things considered, I think we probably got for free the best songs from the concert, and that's pretty ok by me.  If I want to hear the rest, I'll find the tracks online or catch the concert in person if it arrives here in Orlando.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:33 AM »
Six and half hours in and I haven't made it past the first temple yet.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 22, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »
One thing I didn't bring up earlier, though, was what seems to be the reoccurring evil character.  Honestly, I don't like him as a villain so far.  He just seems to be Nintendo's attempt to create a character even weirder than Tingle...and that's it.  I know what that sounds like, but I see this "weird, vaguely-homosexual" crap in anime all the time, and it just gets tiresome because the joke is often the beginning and end to the character.
I haven't started the first dungeon yet since I've been trying to finish the Super Mario 3D Land (currently on Special 7-Castle). From what I have played, Skyward Sword is full of anime clichés. The spunky female friend who is clearly romantically interested but would rather play coy (so much blatant sexual tension). She's a total cock tease, teetering on the friend zone line. In fact, everyone knows that girl in real life. The hyper-arrogant, hulking macho bully and rival interested in said friend. His bumbling followers. The dumb coward who can't do anything right. Even Link is a stock anime stand-in: the dutiful hero unaware of the lead female's obvious attraction. Link doesn't represent the player anymore because he is a character with a personality. A boring one but one nonetheless.

Wait, weren't you boycotting this game? Or did you buy it used already?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 22, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
One thing I didn't bring up earlier, though, was what seems to be the reoccurring evil character.  Honestly, I don't like him as a villain so far.  He just seems to be Nintendo's attempt to create a character even weirder than Tingle...and that's it.  I know what that sounds like, but I see this "weird, vaguely-homosexual" crap in anime all the time, and it just gets tiresome because the joke is often the beginning and end to the character.
I haven't started the first dungeon yet since I've been trying to finish the Super Mario 3D Land (currently on Special 7-Castle). From what I have played, Skyward Sword is full of anime clichés. The spunky female friend who is clearly romantically interested but would rather play coy (so much blatant sexual tension). She's a total cock tease, teetering on the friend zone line. In fact, everyone knows that girl in real life. The hyper-arrogant, hulking macho bully and rival interested in said friend. His bumbling followers. The dumb coward who can't do anything right. Even Link is a stock anime stand-in: the dutiful hero unaware of the lead female's obvious attraction. Link doesn't represent the player anymore because he is a character with a personality. A boring one but one nonetheless.

Wait, weren't you boycotting this game? Or did you buy it used already?
He Caved.  Justified it by using Trade-in credit.

On the point about the characters the game seems to be Skyloft and Rest of Game.  What happens in Skyloft Stays in Skyloft.

Anyway, So I'm stuck in the Fire temple at the first Ball Part.  I've got the one side button but I can't figure out how to get my ball to the other side.  I'm sure its something easy.

Though I have to say the linearity of this game is sort of getting to me a bit at the moment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »

Anyway, So I'm stuck in the Fire temple at the first Ball Part.  I've got the one side button but I can't figure out how to get my ball to the other side.  I'm sure its something easy.

Hint: There is a bombable wall on that side next to the pillars. I got stuck there, too, and it took me forever to figure it out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 22, 2011, 09:39:42 AM »

Hint: There is a bombable wall on that side next to the pillars. I got stuck there, too, and it took me forever to figure it out.
That's what I figured and I sent Murry, my beatle, around to take a look there but I didn't see anything.  I ran out of time this morning but I was going to go with the old stand in of bomb everything and see what takes after I got home.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1910 on: November 22, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
I picked this up Saturday (bless that Nintendo World Store!) and I've basically been doing nothing but playing since, except when I had to work. I really like the game, but this is my first time using Motion Plus and I had a hard time getting things done at first, but I'm getting the hang of things now. I haven't had much trouble with the puzzles or flying and I'm about the enter the second dungeon. One thing that irks me is that there are so many characters in Skyloft and there are no labels for them on the map. You can put markers down but if you're looking for someone you have to know who and where they are. After running around talking to characters on the surface world and then returning to Skyloft it's like nothing's changed there and I have to reacquaint myself with everyone there. It kind of feels like two different games smashed into one.
My problem was that I didn't zoom in on the map. Never mind.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:00:27 AM by TheFleece »
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1911 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:48 PM »
Just got the bomb bag Gonna explore the sky to see if I can use these bombs to find anything in the sky or in past worlds. Also something pretty nice that I found out. If you sit in a chair you will actually heal you wounds. I also like how when you are in the Bazaar the music changes depending on where you are in the room.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
I didn't know the Chair thing.
Welp right this second we're at the same place Maxi.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 22, 2011, 12:07:01 PM »
I don’t know how you guys are flying through this so quickly.  I’m maybe ½ way through the 1st dungeon. 

I haven’t had problems with dispatching the Skulltulas (or most of the enemies in general, for that matter).  While I don’t think the Wii motion plus controls are perfect, they are effective enough to make sword fighting very satisfying.  I’ve had a big ****-eating grin on my face most of the time playing the game, and so far I haven’t minded the scavenger hunt quests I’ve encountered, but I imagine they would be more tedious during repeat playthroughs when I’m less concerned about exploring this new world.

My only issues have involved how long it’s taken me to solve somewhat simple puzzles, and I think that’s more a reflection of how long it’s been since I’ve played a Zelda game that I haven’t beaten 10 times over.  It kind of reminds me of playing a new WOW expansion right when it comes out.  Having to figure everything out without the use of guides or questhelper.  This helps with the immersion but completely slows down my progress. 

For WOW, this always aggravated me because most quests were “kill W amount of X and bring back Y to Z”, but for this it makes it much more satisfying/frustrating when I solve it depending on how simple the solution was and how long I spent trying to solve it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:37:52 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Did anyone else actually get stumped in the first 2 temples? I must have wondered around for an hour in the 2nd temple trying to figure out how to get to the other side of one room. I love when that happens!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: November 22, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
Did anyone else actually get stumped in the first 2 temples? I must have wondered around for an hour in the 2nd temple trying to figure out how to get to the other side of one room. I love when that happens!
Yes.

lolmonade, I have over 13 hours on my save last I checked and since I played at least an hour yesterday its probably at least 14..  Though I'm betting its actually 20 hr.  On the WOW expansions I thought Cataclysm questing through the first part was a lot better with the QoL improvements.  Its the only one where I've had a character that has done all the new progression quests (80-85+)  Skulltulas are still the only enemy I've had a real problem with.  The Stalfos was a joke and a half.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »
So I've now put around 17 hours into the game and have beaten the first 3 temples. Most of my opinions on the motion control remain the same. It works excellently and becomes SO MUCH easier to use once you've had more time with it and really figured out how and when to time your sword swings on enemies. I actually found that the bosses became progressively easier as I went through the three dungeons. I died 3 times on Ghirahim, almost died on the second boss and dispatched the third boss losing only 1 heart in the process. This may be due to the boss fights getting progressively easier, but I think a lot of it has to do with my improved experience with the motion controls.

The formula of the game is very simple at the outset and seems to be pretty consistent for the first 3 areas:

1. Enter area and explore
2. Get new item that helps you explore
3. Get assigned a task by an NPC (either find x number of something, or activate x number of something)
4. Complete this task and open access to the temple
5. Go through temple and beat boss

Though you would probably think this would get repetitive, it comes nowhere close to the monotony of collecting tears of light in Twilight Princess. Moreover, these areas are for the most part very fun to explore and extremely easy to navigate once you push logs/blocks to enable shortcuts and streamline the exploration for later in the game. I did end up getting frustrated at some points in the second area, where it was not clear cut what I had to do, and thus I ended up wandering round like a headless chicken before consulting a guide. There is also one part of the second dungeon that will have most people ripping their hair out, not knowing what to do, and I can see from reading the thread that some people have already encountered that. All that considered though, I think that by creating very focused and dense areas, the team at Nintendo have been able to (for the most part) eliminate aimless wandering.

Another point that I want to focus on are the save points. Though I was not a huge advocate of these to begin with, as the game went on I found out how useful they really are. A lot of the time I will be in an area and will need a potion refilled or my wallet will be full of rupees. In any other Zelda game, you would have to trawl back to the nearest town to resolve both of these problems, but that issue is completely eliminated in Skyward Sword thanks to the bird statues. It is very easy to travel back to Skyloft, pick up a few upgrades, and then simply drop back to the place where you were, without any of your progress being lost. Moreover, by having save statues in dungeons you can finally have no qualms about stopping half way through one. The only thing that will change is that the major enemies will respawn when you restart, but you will start back at the exact place that you left off from. Even if you want to go outside during a dungeon, the interior acts a lot like the external environments, due to the fact that you will be creating shortcuts to access areas more easily as you progress. Things like this really streamline the process and make Skyward Sword feel like the most accessible Zelda to date.

Something that I'm really pleased with is the consistent need to use every item in your inventory. Besides the slingshot, every single item that I have picked up so far has been used frequently in every area. The best of these is the multi purpose beetle, which is nothing short of genius in design. It can be used to: Scout the area and find enemies, stun aforementioned enemies by ramming into them, collect rupees and hearts with ease, hit switches that are otherwise inaccessible, carry and drop bombs and even hit Beedle's shop bell. If ever there was a multi functioning item in Zelda, the beetle is quite clearly it. The bombs are also used much more frequently, with a focus on bowling/throwing them as opposed to simply placing them on the ground.

I don't want to get into too many specifics on the third area, as not too many people here have reached that point yet, but what I will say is that the temple is quite astounding. The overarching mechanic of the area is extremely cool and it is so well implemented into the dungeon that it really shakes up the puzzle solving completely. This is also the area where enemies will start to punish you for poor sword play, so I was glad that I had a solid handle on motion plus by this point, otherwise I would have struggled to stay alive. I'm pretty sure the game will start to change up its focus now that I'm passed the stereotypical first section of a Zelda game (which normally comprises of the first three dungeons in the 3D games).

So far so good. Let's see what the next half of the game has in store. I'm sure there will be surprises aplenty!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1917 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
I kinda had that in the first dungeon but that had more to do with getting the item in the dungeon. I am actually having more trouble getting into the dungeon then the dungeon so far.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 22, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
(which normally comprises of the first three dungeons in the 3D games).
Link to the Past started that president.  Which I'm not very fond of personally.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: November 22, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
Link to the Past started that president.  Which I'm not very fond of personally.

Oh snap, completely forgot about Alttp. But yeah, the formula is slightly tired at this point, only Majora's mask really strayed from it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: November 22, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »
Oh snap, completely forgot about Alttp. But yeah, the formula is slightly tired at this point, only Majora's mask really strayed from it.
Anyone whose read me over the years should see this coming but, I would like to go back more to the Original LoZ model.

Take this game for example.  There is a story device who sole purpose to being really is to limit where you can land to begin with.  I think this game would be more interesting if they let you land in any of the area to start out.  Allowing more organic exploration.  Fi would still be there to point you in the preferred path but, with no modification whatsoever you simply couldn't make significant progress without key items in the Outer-Dungeons.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1921 on: November 22, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
Just finished up the second dungeon.I like the way you move around in the dungeon.The puzzles weren't that tough if you kept an eye out for certain things. I also got a lot of money in the area. I currently have 894 rupies. I am probably going to save them up till I have max rupies.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 22, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Just finished up the second dungeon.I like the way you move around in the dungeon.The puzzles weren't that tough if you kept an eye out for certain things. I also got a lot of money in the area. I currently have 894 rupies. I am probably going to save them up till I have max rupies.
I used mine on the Life Medal.  Didn't do what I wanted it to but, still handy.  Not sure what the Treasure one does.  I think I've gotten less Rupees since getting it...

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 22, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
I used mine on the Life Medal.  Didn't do what I wanted it to but, still handy.  Not sure what the Treasure one does.  I think I've gotten less Rupees since getting it...

The treasure medal increases the rate for monster bit/item drops ("treasure") that you can use to upgrade your weapons.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

The treasure medal increases the rate for monster bit/item drops ("treasure") that you can use to upgrade your weapons.

Mental note: I need to make it a priority to pick that thing up as soon as I have the funds for it, because the drop rate on those items is ridiculously low.  I had to grind just to get enough materials to upgrade my wooden shield, and it looks like now that was a waste of time because the Iron Shield is better anyway.