Author Topic: Shovel Knight Reveals Sales Including Amiibo  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Shovel Knight Reveals Sales Including Amiibo
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:07:09 AM »

Some big numbers for a big title

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/42546/shovel-knight-reveals-sales-including-amiibo

Yacht Club Games has revealed updated sales figures for Shovel Knight, and the Nintendo numbers are quite strong.

The game has sold 1.2m copies since its June 2014 release, with the 3DS version selling 29% of that figure (approximately 348,000) and the Wii U version making up 17% of sales (approx. 204,000). At retail, the Wii U version is the biggest seller with 76,000 copies, but the 3DS isn't far behind with 74,000 copies (38%/37% of retail sales), and the Shovel Knight amiibo has sold through 180,000 figures.

Yacht Club still plans to finish two major campaigns and other Kickstarter rewards, but is celebrating the sales with new 3DS themes and a 33% off sale in the eShop this week.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Shovel Knight Reveals Sales Including Amiibo
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
Steam on top like always! :D
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »

Ah, but Steam sales figures rely more heavily on discount pricing than any other platform. Without an active discount, 3DS sells almost twice as many units per month!  (Source: Yacht Club Games)

On the other hand, they probably profit more off a Steam purchase (even with a discount) than a 3DS purchase. I don't have any data about that though...

You can see a lot of facts and interesting comments about Shovel Knight sales here:
http://yachtclubgames.com/2016/04/feat-unlocked-one-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/
Is it worth reading?  Depends.  Some people don't care about "behind the scenes" type stuff. I thought it was neat to see though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
Its nice to see the 3DS coming second

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »
On the other hand, they probably profit more off a Steam purchase (even with a discount) than a 3DS purchase. I don't have any data about that though...
I believe it is a cut 30% for both Steam and the eshop. Meaning because of the lack of sales culture, 3DS was probably the most lucrative.