Author Topic: Virtual Console Demos & 'Full Screen' mode...  (Read 2387 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Virtual Console Demos & 'Full Screen' mode...
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »
So, when I play Virtual Console titles, I play 'em stretched out, just because I'm too lazy to go in and change my Wii settings every time.

But, checking out the "Masterpieces" section of Brawl, I noticed that it automatically forces the VC Demo game into "Full Screen" mode - despite the settings of my Wii.

What the hell?  Why can't you do this for actual VC downloads, Nintendo?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Virtual Console Demos & 'Full Screen' mode...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »
What's your TV set to?

What's your Wii set to?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »
Technically it does that for all Wii games. Any game that doesn't support widescreen is still stretched out if your console is set to 16:9. Super Punchout on Fight Night Round 2 did this on the Gamecube as well. It would be nice if they made a system update that let you run 4:3 content in 4:3 on 16:9 TVs though, but I'd probably have it stretched anyway.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
No it's not, your TV might be still stretched out, but even in 16:9 mode if I don't set the TV for widescreen, all I'll get is 16:9 scrunched in a 4:3 plane. 
While we're on that subject, I now see the reasoning behind the dither on Starfox 64, without it it looks like absolute crap.  The banding is atrocious.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:19:11 AM »
I think it has something to do with the fact that the VC is full emulation and the demos are wired as part of a Wii game (not technical enough to, uh, know if that's true.) The fact that VC games appear as if you've plugged an NES or Super NES into your fancy TV is, IMO, a great thing. It means the game looks EXACTLY like it should, and if you did have your NES or Super plugged in you'd have to fiddle with your TV settings to make it right.

Based on the widescreen TVs I've had, most can switch between widescreen and fullscreen modes via the remote, which is way easier than changing the Wii settings.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »
Actually, I don't have to fiddle with my TV settings to get my NES/SNES/N64 to appear correctly - aside from changing to the input channel they come in on...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
OLD! - http://nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=23579.msg410978#new

But yeah, I fully agree.  It's so bizarre that the masterpieces play in the correct aspect ratio and regular VC games do not.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
I think it has something to do with the fact that the VC is full emulation and the demos are wired as part of a Wii game (not technical enough to, uh, know if that's true.)
The demos are full emulation plus a little extra code to start games at specific locations and stop after a given amount of time.  However, the demos are relying on the SSBB video initialization code, which has aspect ratio options independent of the Wii's settings.  So why they haven't added this capability into VC games is a very good question.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:26:27 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
Aaron to the rescue, as always.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog