Author Topic: Olympic Streaming Channel: Missed Oppurtunity?  (Read 7739 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Olympic Streaming Channel: Missed Oppurtunity?
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:43:27 AM »
Hello I was thinking about how NBC here in the states is showing a lot of different olympics and how you can watch a large amount of them on the web and then it got me thinking.  I really like to be able to watch them through my Wii or PS3.

This seemed like a golden opportunity for a partnership.  The "My Olympics" channel.  How there doing it online since Nintendo wouldn't fill you screen with the stream you could have you Mii doing the Commentary where there is only text commentary on the side.  It also be another nice non-gamer use.  Lets face it the Olympics would be the best thing for this.  If people don't like its a Special event one off.  If they do like it then NBC and NoA could work something else.

Just an interesting thought. (The internet channel doesn't work because its done through Silverlight)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Streaming Channel: Missed Oppurtunity?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
I think it would be pretty pointless considering there olympic coverage on the TV which is what a console is usually hooked up to.  Also this year SEGA has all the rights to olympic videogames.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
I think it would be pretty pointless considering there olympic coverage on the TV which is what a console is usually hooked up to.  Also this year SEGA has all the rights to olympic videogames.

But the TV Coverage doesn't cover even a third of the events that are going on.  Take Saber for example.  First US Olympic Gold but wasn't broadcast.  The channel would allow for for the viewing of the events your interested in be that Sailing or BMX.   Plus being on a Videogame Console does not make it a videogame.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »
I'd be all for this if it let me watch more Badminton. I just found this out this morning, Badminton is the Curling of the Summer Olympics.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Surprisingly it seems that Badminton and Table Tennis are really popular outside of the States.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »
This would be pretty great, actually. Olympic coverage is extremely limited over here with one channel having the rights to it yet refusing to show most of the events. It'd be nice to kick back and watch everything I'm missing via the Wii instead of in front of this crappy monitor.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
It would be a good idea and i would be all for it if it were to exist, but the common problem falls back to the ISP's yet again. Most here throttle everyone to a pulp and the rest have silly unspecific terms like
ABSOLUTELY UNLIMITED INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!*
(fair usage policy applies)

One hour of HD streaming will send you over those unspecific limits and you're back to being throttled. Woo.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:29:12 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
The Olympics are boring, so it's not really a missed opportunity. All of these countries could spend their time and money doing a lot better things than training for some pissing contest. The ancient days of war games being an important source of pride and readiness don't really exist anymore, y'know.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:41 PM »
The Olympics are boring, so it's not really a missed opportunity. All of these countries could spend their time and money doing a lot better things than training for some pissing contest. The ancient days of war games being an important source of pride and readiness don't really exist anymore, y'know.

I disagree.  Every country needs to still measure.  I rather it be through sporting events then armed conflict.  I still think these types of events for the art and cultural movement they allow.  Sort of like how Japan actually made "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" into a culture lesson of sorts with the rewards always touching on the Japanese culture.  Interesting side effects.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
Olympics are important to a lot of people, but I still think it's sad what happened to the Country of Georgia on the first day of Olympics (Russia went to war). But on that aspect I don't think Nintendo would like to invest in the bandwidth that is required to broadcast all of the Olympics especially if you want them to divide up all the different events simultaneously.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
I disagree.  Every country needs to still measure.  I rather it be through sporting events then armed conflict.  I still think these types of events for the art and cultural movement they allow.  Sort of like how Japan actually made "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" into a culture lesson of sorts with the rewards always touching on the Japanese culture.  Interesting side effects.

I'm surprised that you don't see the correlation between sports and war. Sports are little more than war games--they always have been. Way back when, before sports were purely "for fun" they were used as training exercises. Many of those sports are the same as they are today. Praising the call of peace while trying to be the best doesn't exactly work, as competition in most forms tends to be the antithesis of cooperation.

The Olympics only continue today as a way for countries (or states, as it tends to be far too often) to make money. The show brings in plenty of tourism, which probably lasts far longer than even the event itself. The host locations dump plenty of cash into the event, but the returns (both monetary and not) far outweigh the investment. There are so many better things that could be done with this money that would actually help people, instead of just make them feel as if the world can get along for a few days.

Oh, and let's not forget the propaganda aspect either, as Hitler so adequately showed off at the Berlin Olympics... We won't get into that though, for fear of starting a political discussion. ;)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »
Olympics are important to a lot of people, but I still think it's sad what happened to the Country of Georgia on the first day of Olympics (Russia went to war). But on that aspect I don't think Nintendo would like to invest in the bandwidth that is required to broadcast all of the Olympics especially if you want them to divide up all the different events simultaneously.
Two points:

By my understanding Georgia actually started the conflict, not supporting either of their decisions but timing seemed to be Georgia's doing.  Also I figure NBC would fit the bandwidth bill because the already have the infrastructure from nbcolympics.co

On the war game thing I see the argument but that economic boost  can really help.  Also having someplace neutral to talk is always good.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Well Ceric I don't think people would want to install another channel just for the olympics, plus the streaming will probably suck.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 06:48:23 PM »
Well Ceric I don't think people would want to install another channel just for the olympics, plus the streaming will probably suck.

We installed one just for Metroid Prime 3 trailers...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
I think you underestimate the redtape, cost and the amount of work it would take to become an Olympic partner, especially when you don't even sell this product in China, the host of the Olympic games.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
I think you underestimate the redtape, cost and the amount of work it would take to become an Olympic partner, especially when you don't even sell this product in China, the host of the Olympic games.

I think a lot of that would be mitigated by just being on outlet for NBC here in the states.  Other countries have the olympics on YouTube.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »

Nintendo would still have to deal with the whole Olympic committee, China and NBC has more affiliations with microsoft IIRC hence the MSNBC property.

I think a lot of that would be mitigated by just being on outlet for NBC here in the states.  Other countries have the olympics on YouTube.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 06:20:08 AM »
plus the streaming will probably suck.

This isn't Brawl online netcode we're dealing with here. I'm quite sure streaming video content across the internet is a solved problem (unless we're talking shitty connections of course, in which case the problem is yours and yours alone).

But yes, HD streaming content is a way off yet, because the datarates are much higher than the majority of internet connections (HK and Japan getting gigabit internet infrastructure in the near future makes me cry on the inside).

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 07:29:55 AM »

Nobody cares. :]

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
Then you wouldn't be able to play Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and watch the Olympics at the same time

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 10:39:05 AM »
You could if you played the DS version.

J.P. Corbran

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »
The Olympics are boring, so it's not really a missed opportunity.

Contestants should compete naked again, that would make things more interesting.

I'd be all for this if it let me watch more Badminton. I just found this out this morning, Badminton is the Curling of the Summer Olympics.

I didn't know anyone actually liked curling.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:59:06 PM by Wandering »
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 03:38:31 PM »
I didn't know anyone actually liked curling.

I don't know how anyone could not like curling. It's easily the second-best sport that's played on ice and by far the best sport that involves sweeping with brooms.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
The Olympics are boring, so it's not really a missed opportunity.

Contestants should compete naked again, that would make things more interesting.

Agreed.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »
legend of zelda, mario mario mario, olympics, pikmin, olimar, link, samas aran
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post