Author Topic: Editorial: Desperation Mode?  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Editorial: Desperation Mode?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2003, 10:22:18 AM »
Even if PS2 drops to 100, Nintendo would still likely benefit more since most people looking to get a second console will already have a PS2.  Of course if the PS2 does drop to $100, I'll probably pick one up finally.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Editorial: Desperation Mode?
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2003, 04:25:10 PM »
Exactly- I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the people buying a Gamecube at the new price alread own either a PS2 or XBox. A price of $99 really entices all those people who want a second console but didn't think they could afford one.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2003, 05:02:59 PM »
the majority of people own a PS2 and not GC or Xbox, so with GC at 100
and if PS2 goes to 100, what is Microsoft going to do?

what do you think they should do?  what do you think they will do?
it really looks like Sony is out to get Microsoft most, since the buyers will be looking to GC and Xbox as a 2nd console, if the PS2 drops to 100.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2003, 05:39:28 PM »
Microsoft would have to make the $180 price tag seem desirable some way, since they can definitely not afford another price drop- even the first one was a stretch for them.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Editorial: Desperation Mode?
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2003, 05:52:08 PM »
The worst console at the highest price?  Don't think Microsoft can pull this off....( Ha! Microsoft being shut down after there first year, haha!  who cares?!?)  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2003, 07:00:58 PM »
Even taking casual gamers out of the picture, look at it this way:

At $100, GameCube now appeals to Sony and Microsoft fanboys.
At $100, PS2 would appeal to Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys.

Sony + Microsoft fanbases >> Nintendo + Microsoft fanbases

I didn't include effects of an Xbox price cut because I think it's practically impossible for one to happen before Christmas.  If MS is forced to cut their price at this time, it will utterly gouge the company...I'm not kidding.  The extra money they lose on each system will pale in comparison to the effects in the stock market.  Xbox games aren't selling well enough for Microsoft to write off $150 or $200 loss on every system sold.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2003, 08:53:24 PM »
on that note, I hope Sony does lower their system.  Be a gut-punch to Microsoft...
The best result for Nintendo would be if PS2 is selling at 150 this christmas, and the Xbox still at 180...hehehe,
watch Microsoft will start bundling in the Xbox Live starter kit for free, lol

Offline Nigel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2003, 06:15:04 AM »
That piece brought a tear to my eye.  Not because of how good it was (which, like stated many times before, it was), but because of all the talk about the Dreamcast.  Sigh, I miss my baby.

Offline TheDarkWarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2003, 08:18:07 AM »
Well, I have to say, the price drop was what finally got me to move on a gamecube.  Before, I had two systems (the X-Box... and a dreamcast.  Thank god for Gamestop having a large stock of used dreamcast games and controllers.  Even the keyboard and mouse!)  I bought the X-Box mainly for Halo, but I've gotten a few other games for it, but since my purchase of the GC and, shortly thereafter, the Gameboy player (and yes, I've an SP as well.)  Now I only use my XBox for Grand Theft Auto, and the gamecube (yes I got the deal with the Link games) is used for everything else, including my current favorite game, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. (Unless, of course, I'm on the go.)  Most people are unaware of this, but the GC is indeed beginning to go online (Nintendo has both a broadband and a dialup adapter out for the GC.), though, to my knowledge, the only game currently available that supports this is Phantasy Star online.
Oh, and Microsoft is working on making the x-box more attractive by including a free month of Xbox Life, Tetris Worlds, and Star Wars Ep. 2 (the game, not the DVD).
One last thing, very good article.    The GC is too far along to pull a dreamcast.
<Samus> "So, since you guys are all stealthy, I can't use anything but the wave beam?" <Shadow Pirate> "Right." *Accidentally shoots plasma beam* <SP> "OWCRAP!" <S> "Oh, you guys are so screwed."