Author Topic: Best system ever.  (Read 8015 times)

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Best system ever.
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:11:40 PM »
Well, whilst packing things for my upcoming move, I discovered my Gamecube box and took a long, hard look at it.  The Gamecube, in retrospect, is the greatest home gaming console ever made.  As I looked at the box, I noticed its one major flaw...the scandalous lie that is otherwise known as "Donkey Kong Racing."
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:Best system ever.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:19:08 PM »
R U 4 REELZ?

The absence of Donkey Kong Racing is more of a pro than a con.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Professor Gnarly

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »
We have Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.  That's all we need.

Offline Nosferat2

• View Profile
RE: Best system ever.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:35:30 AM »
If anything is scandulous it is the absence of Castlevania on the GC and that lame example of a final fantasy game...Crystal cronicles. Otherwise i loved my gamecube.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »
Dunno know about you guys, but my vote goes to the Dreamcast.  Gamecube is up there, tho.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 09:40:12 AM »
SNES still has the crown. The GCN seemed like it had a shot, but fell apart.

DC may have had good games, but it didn't last long enough to be the best.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Dasmos
R U 4 REELZ?

The absence of Donkey Kong Racing is more of a pro than a con.

Diddy Kong racing was awesome! thats one sequel I really was excited about.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 03:21:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Knoxxville
Dunno know about you guys, but my vote goes to the Dreamcast.

Are you serious? I mean, I love fighting games, but beyond that genre what is there? I bought the system just for the two Marvel Vs. Capcom games, and don't regret it, but out of the 35 or so games I have for it, the fighters were the only ones that I got much playing time out of (although I should note that I dislike Shenmue, which most seem to love).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
I know my choice seems controversial, but to me, the DC was a GAMER'S system.  It was really like having an arcade on your TV.  It was like a throwback to simpler times, with shumups, fighters and platformers galore!....yet with full blown RPG's, the 1st console MMORPG ever in life, sharp graphics and excellent presentation.....plus the hackers are STILL having a FIELD DAY with it!  Plus, as usual for it being a Sega system, developers were bold and quite a few "niche" titles were released....games that would have never seen the light of day on any other console except a Nintendo one.  New ideas were tested...some worked better then others, but at least they had the backing to get creative, rather than churn out the standard, lackluster sequel that was practically guaranteed to sell a mill.

The DC was a system built for gamers....HARDCORE gamers.....NOT their casual gaming cousins, and remote control holding parents and such.  For THAT....for Sega having the bollocks to do what they wanted regardless of the status quo, cements the DC the best system ever....to me, at least.  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 04:09:58 PM »
The games worth owning on the Dreamcast are:

Ikaruga
Soul Calibur
Skies of Arcadia
PSO

All of those have superior GC counterparts.  A lot of people like Capcom vs. Marvel, but it's an overrated piece of trash.  And Shenmue is like the worst game ever made.

It was way too loud and annoying too.

But it's got easy piracy and stuff.

7/10
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:15:48 PM »
That is just but one other opinion.....what about Typing of the Dead?  Cannon Spike?  Power Stone?  Bangai-O (which admittedly was originally an N64 game, but America only saw the DC version)? Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi were HUGE when they 1st dropped.  You're talking now....I'm talking about when it was new...the ONLY next gen console on the block....yeah, sure everything has a better version on every other console now, but when they were exclusives on the DC, it was pure magic!  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »
The SNES has versions on other platforms, but it still has many of the best games ever.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:42:22 PM »
Sadly...and this is strictly due to the homebrew scene, I'd have to say the XBox is the greatest console ever created, at least ending in this current generation.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »

Originally posted by: Knoxxville
That is just but one other opinion.....what about Typing of the Dead?  Cannon Spike?  Power Stone?  Bangai-O (which admittedly was originally an N64 game, but America only saw the DC version)? Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi were HUGE when they 1st dropped.  You're talking now....I'm talking about when it was new...the ONLY next gen console on the block....yeah, sure everything has a better version on every other console now, but when they were exclusives on the DC, it was pure magic!

Not to mention:
MDK2
Jet Grind Radio
Grandia II
Soul Reaver
Sword of the Beserk
Samba De Amigo

And my two favorite games of the last generation, Shenmue 1&2.  

So yeah, I'm with Knoxxville here.  If not the best console, at least the one I'll look back on the most fondly.  Honestly, the Cube will probably end up being the least memorable Nintendo system for me, and I've owned them all - even the Virtual Boy.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 08:04:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
Sadly...and this is strictly due to the homebrew scene, I'd have to say the XBox is the greatest console ever created, at least ending in this current generation.

Who cares about homebrew?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
People just say they like Dreamcast to sound like hip gamers.  It had some cool games but it's miles away from being the greatest system ever.  I think people are too reluctant to admit Sega's failure and turn toward crap, so they idolize their last system.
But who knows.  Maybe they really like all the games I played on it and thought "Yeah, this is fun but it's not as great as everyone seems to think it is".
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:39 PM »
Best system ever? N64.

Bla bla bla not enough games bla bla bla third party support. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, and Majora's Mask crush all your feeble anti-64 arguments.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 12:04:32 AM »
Don't forget Goldeneye!

I also think GAMECUBE NINTENDO is the best system ever, but Revolution is already at least as good as the GC, as long as it runs GC games flawlessly.

Offline heinous_anus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 12:20:21 AM »
Let's hope that the Revolution is twice the system that Gamecube turned out to be; a modern-day SNES, if you will.

I've got to stick with the Super Nintendo on this, followed by the PS1 and Dreamcast.  I think, Hostile Creation, our attatchment to Sega's last console really is due to its spectacular library - they delivered on every level that I can think of.  Unfortunately, Sega didn't fail - Sony released some PS2 pictures and everyone went nuts, and then had DVD support, which meant a lot in Japan.

But yes, you can't beat the system with Mario RPG, Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, the original Mario Kart and Final Fantasy III (6).  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 08:02:48 AM »
"Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, and Majora's Mask crush all your feeble anti-64 arguments."

I'd like to throw Starfox 64, Mischief Makers, and Mario Kart 64 into that list as well.
I have trouble picking between the four Nintendo consoles, honestly.  They all have games I love
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »
Hostile, I see how you got your screen name now, 'cause U sure can be an azz at times.

I myself don't claim the DC to be considered a "hip gamer".  My opinion is how I truly feel...so, from gamer to gamer, put a sock in it.

The DC was not a technological failure or even a commercial failure....it failed because Sega was always overly ambitious, which is why just doing software is a much better fit for them.  They were always pushing the envelope, and sometimes the general public just wasn't ready to partake of what they were cookin'.

But because of that envelope pushing, I had experiences with the DC that rival any console I've ever played.....I felt like a kid playing Atari or NES again with the DC.  That is one potent gamer's high, I tell you.

"Hip gamer", you say?  Is there even such a thing?  Don't talk like you know me like that, homie.

Offline Garnee

• Zig.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 11:37:58 AM »
The Dreamcast did own...it has the best game ever: Fur Fighters!  I love that game so.  It had Jet Grind Radio and a jillion good games too, but I kind of agree with the "hip gamer" claim...sorry.
Yeah, I do play mafia games.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 12:55:08 PM »
I never knew the DC was universally known as the "hip gamer" system.  All I'm saying is, I did not pick it to be considered hip.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 01:23:35 PM »
Maybe hip isn't the right word.  It just seems to me that every self-proclaimed hardcore gamer has to brag about how the Dreamcast is his favorite system, probably because hardly anyone played it.  Like how indie rockers only brag about bands they've never heard of.  That's not to say those bands are all bad, and some are great, but for the most part they're not nearly as good as the people suggest.
It's fine if you honestly believe that, but I just get a very false vibe from some of the people who say that.  "I'm more hardcore than you", something like that is the unspoken message, and it's a nuisance.  I hate people who do it.

Which, again, is not to say you do.  I'll believe it if you say it's your favorite system.  But I still don't get the rabid love for it.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 02:34:06 PM »
Well, we can agree on that, HC.  I remember when I was the only kid only that block that even used the word "graphics"....the other kids well still saying "pictures" (this was back in like '81, mind you).  I too habor extreme disdain toward self procliamed 'hardcore' gamers, and when you start to get deep with 'em, you find out you lost them at "hello"....lol!

In retrospect, I'd have to vote for the SNES due to track record, games and overall longevity.  But the system that reminded me why I 'ma gamer in the first place was the DC. 8)