Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Wii  (Read 78101 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong Country Wii
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 06:18:44 PM »
Not surprised about DK returns but was shocked about the developer--Retro.  But I'll like to add, just because Retro/Nintendo announced this one game doesn't mean they don't have another one baking.  Do you really think this game took 3+ years to make?  Even back when the orginal MP game was being made, Retro had 3 other titles they were working on (raven blade anyone) of course no of them were ever finished.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Retro was working on another game: Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 06:22:06 PM »
Even back when the orginal MP game was being made, Retro had 3 other titles they were working on (raven blade anyone) of course no of them were ever finished.

The reason their other games were canceled was because Nintendo decided they wanted Metroid Prime to be a AAA level game, so Retro Studios put their whole focus on just that one game. That gives me more confidence if they are doing the same here.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
I just played the game and man I enjoyed it very much! The controls were very easy and 2 players was allot of fun! I always wanted a DK game like this, and I finally got it!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
I just played the game and man I enjoyed it very much! The controls were very easy and 2 players was allot of fun! I always wanted a DK game like this, and I finally got it!

Great to hear!  How did it compare to the original DKC's?  Can you feel the cold, dead hands of EAD all over it?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »
It felt very familiar actually. Rolling and slapping the ground required shaking but it was as responsive as Mario's spin shake in Galaxy.

I tried to play around with the 2 player aspects of it a bit but I'm not sure what I really did. Classic movements like Dixie walking on Kiddie kong return for these kongs as well as Diddy giving Donkey a boost with his jets. Though it all seemed to be controlled by just one person when Diddy jumps on Donkey's back. Though Diddy is in charge of shooting enemies while on his back.

At first glance I thought their movements were really strange, but after a moment it really grew on me! And I loved that so much was going on in the back grounds it was pretty cool.

Barrel blasting is the same as ever, along with secrets to uncover with bonus rooms all over the place. Gotta teach in a bit, tell more soon.

RomanceDawn

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Thanks for the impressions!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
I predicted this in last years E3 thread.  Guess I was ahead of my time....
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:09 PM »
New forum game; Take a shot every time Ian mentions EAD in this thread! if you want to be an alcoholic, you can even take a shot when words have those letters (in that order) in them, such as thrEAD!

Kidding aside, this game looks FUCKING AWESOME. When UB updated my inbox with this e3 info i thought "oh.. cool i guess". Not because I wasn't excited for some more DKC (DKC2 is one of my favorite SNES games) but I was simply caught off guard by the announcement, especially the Retro thing. Big shocker there.

Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm completely blown away and actually I'm a little more excited about this than Zelda right now[/spoilre].. Yes, its true. I dunno what excites me more, the nostalgia factor mixed with anticipation of new goodies to find in good ol' DK Isle or the fact that I'll get to play this co-op! I always wished the DKC co-op was simultaneous.. and now it is!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
I haven't had enough experience with Donkey Kong games to decide if I would want this game. I own the original Donkey Kong Country, and I think I got maybe halfway through or less before I got distracted by some other game. I should try to finish that up before this is released, and I might check out the others if I find them at a price I want.

Co-op is always enticing, though.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »
I really liked DKC back in the day, but I never raved about it. It was just a really fun game but (music aside) a little forgetable. DKC2 however I LOVED. I'd recommend playing that one NOW!

I didn't like DKC3 back in the day, I recently gave it another shot on VC however and it's pretty good. Some of the DK coins are a little challenging to get, but still it doesn't have the spark that DKC2 had. To this day I can't put my finger on it. If DKCR is anywhere near as good as DKC2 then it'll be right up there in my top favorite games (Cranky Kongs Hall of Fame style! with Sonic and Earthworm Jim* in the garbage)

*I actually really liked EWJ 2, no flaming here
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
I remember getting the SNES/DKC2 bundle for Christmas that year as well as a SuperGameboy. I was in heaven. I liked the level designs of the second game better than the first. I also remember playing Toxic Tower and getting frustrated. It was I think the last level before the final battle. It I think involved using lots of different animal buddies to progress up the stage while a toxic liquid would rise slowly. Music was great in DKC2.

Didn't get around to DKC3. I'll probably grab that after I DL and beat DKC2. Beat DKC a few months back.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
People hate DKC3 solely because of Dixie and Kiddy.

And that is fucking horrible. DKC2 is still better though.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
People hate DKC3 solely because of Dixie and Kiddy.

And that is fucking horrible. DKC2 is still better though.

I remember being excited to try out a new Kong in Kiddie, and Dixie was my preferred character in DK2, so I thought I'd enjoy DKC3. I didn't. I played it, beat it and just felt meh about the whole experience. I didn't like the music at all, some of the level design was annoying and Kiddie Kong was just dumb.

On the second playthru (only a few months back) I was able to appreciate some of the games nuances, even Kiddie Kong. I still don't hold the game in very high regard, but I'm much less harsh on it now.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
DKC2 was a massive leap forward in terms of game play choices. Yes, you had to collect ****, but the **** was optional. It also turned Squawks the Parrot from being "that animal friend from DKC1 nobody gave a **** about" to "HOLY **** I CAN FLY A PARROT THAT SHOOTS COCONUTS".

Retro's take on the game may be a mix between DKC1 and 2 in terms of environment. I found DKC1 a bit more cheerful (sans the later stages like the factory AHH BLACKOUT BASEMENT) and DKC2 to be more darker.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »
"Retro's take on the game may be a mix between DKC1 and 2 in terms of environment."

With all due respect sir, it looked like too much retreading of DKC1. Yea, some stuff happens to the environment and rocks fall down, but it didn't look any better than hot air ballooning on a rhino over lava.

--But I realize it's still early and they don't want to spoil too much, for good reason--
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:30:24 PM by Bit.Trip.Rowsdower »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
None of the backgrounds fell apart in the DKC game. Though with what has been showing, this looks like a hawt 3d remake of DKC.

Now let's see is Retro will give the game a map system and use stupid puns to give away the stage's gimmicks.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »
I hope the animal buddies are back.  I want expresso back.  I always liked him and they ditched him from 2.  Grrrr. 

And I don't mean to be picky, but squarks spat out eggs didn't he?  It was that bird boss that spat coconuts.  But meh, whatever.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
No, it was coconuts. I have been on a DKC2 addiction lately (with DKC1 and 3 to follow), and after playing through Bramble Blast he shot coconuts. Not eggs.

And while we're on a nostalgia fix, I found the SNES manuals for the DKC games to be pretty bad-assed.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 01:16:11 AM »
don't those manuals have Cranky patronizing the game (and possibly us, the gamers) on every page??

awesome.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Yes they do.  I remember Cranky suggesting the Trash barrell.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Though there was a general jungly theme going on with that super familiar music the setting did have a fresh feel to it. These strange tiki things were everywhere with very few kremlin(if any) in site. But I saw sharks and whales and all kinds of awesome things that made those familiar settings feel very fresh.

It doesn't feel like the Jungle Beat engine, it very well could be, but it just felt new as far as I could tell. Gonna play more tomorrow or thursday to get a better feel for it.

RomanceDawn

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
It could even be a more advanced engine of the Jungle Beat build. I saw an Octopus tearing the living hell out of a pirate ship, the backgrounds have a lot more going on (but hopefully won't be distracting to newer, less skilled gamers).

Can I also have Dixie too...?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
It could even be a more advanced engine of the Jungle Beat build. I saw an Octopus tearing the living hell out of a pirate ship, the backgrounds have a lot more going on (but hopefully won't be distracting to newer, less skilled gamers).

2D games with insane back grounds are pure win. That's what made this games trailer so exciting, dominoing structures, flying banana air planes(?), giant octopuses destroying ships, it was just full of life.
Dixie would be so awesome as an unlockable right? She could have a similar floating ability like Diddy. If she appeared in this game, she would be a shoe in for the next Smash Bros.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:52:26 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »

2D games with insande back grounds are pure win. That's what made this games trailer so exciting, dominoing structures, flying bananana air plaines(?), giant octopuseses destroying ships, it was just full of life.
Dixie would be so awesome as an unlockable right? She could have a similar floating ability like Diddy. If she came in this game, she would be a shoe in for the next Smash Bros.

Rated M for mature? Might wanna fix that or else sound like a furry :P