Author Topic: Dreamcast games on XBLA and PSN!  (Read 19037 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Dreamcast games on XBLA and PSN!
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/109/1096105p1.html

Coming this fall, with the first two games being Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi. I know I'll be buying both of those, and I hope there will be many more. My fingers are crossed for Armada, an obscure favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:17:41 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamcast games on XBLA and PSN!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing Crazy Taxi again with Trophy support and HD up-converting, as well as Skies of Arcadia if it has the content from the GCN "Legends" version.  Aside from those two, I really can't think of a Dreamcast game I give a damn about.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »
I bought Crazy Taxi this year on GCN.  For me, it didn't hold up much,  but trophies would help.  I'd like to see Nights come along so I finally can see what all the insane fuss is about.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:04:37 PM »
Armada was great! I never did find the edge of space. I did however end many nights with "crab finger syndrome" from those triggers. :)

I still have one of my Dreamcasts hooked up in the living room. Admittedly, it hasn't received any playtime for a good long while. It's still my favorite all-around console.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »
THis sounds like a dumb question, but could the wii or its successor (wii 2) properly emulate the Dreamcast on the virtual console?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »
THis sounds like a dumb question, but could the wii or its successor (wii 2) properly emulate the Dreamcast on the virtual console?

The Wii can't do it; we know absolutely nothing about the capabilities of the Wii 2, so it's not known if it could do it, but I would assume that it will be possible.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »

The Wii can't do it; we know absolutely nothing about the capabilities of the Wii 2, so it's not known if it could do it, but I would assume that it will be possible.

That is mainly due to memory contraints and down load speeds, right?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »

No, it's because the Wii doesn't have the processing power to emulate the Dreamcast.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
Sooooo..... does Nintendo get the console[:P]ation prize and get Saturn games instead?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Sooooo..... does Nintendo get the console[ :P: ]ation prize and get Saturn games instead?

I sure hope so because I recently found out that GameTap is emulating the Saturn and if it can do it, the wii can as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/13/panzer-dragoon-zwei-coming-to-gametap/

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-saturn-appears-on-gametap-30854.phtml

We put a man on the moon and sooner or later Mars, so do not tell me that Saturn emulation is not possible. The main reason why I want Saturn emulation is so that I do not have to pay such large prices for Saturn games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
Sooooo..... does Nintendo get the console[ :P: : ]ation prize and get Saturn games instead?

I sure hope so because I recently found out that GameTap is emulating the Saturn and if it can do it, the wii can as well.

We put a man on the moon and sooner or later Mars, so do not tell me that Saturn emulation is not possible. The main reason why I want Saturn emulation is so that I do not have to pay such large prices for Saturn games.

Given that the Saturn was notoriously hard to program for and just as hard to emulate, I highly doubt we'll see Saturn games on the Wii.  Besides, what games would you want to play, anyway?  There's Nights (for some folks, I guess.  If the sequel's any indication, I'm definitely not interested in the original), Panzer Dragoon/Dragoon Saga, and....and...yeah, that just about sums it up.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Sooooo..... does Nintendo get the console[ :P: : : ]ation prize and get Saturn games instead?

Given that the Saturn was notoriously hard to program for and just as hard to emulate, I highly doubt we'll see Saturn games on the Wii.  Besides, what games would you want to play, anyway?  There's Nights (for some folks, I guess.  If the sequel's any indication, I'm definitely not interested in the original), Panzer Dragoon/Dragoon Saga, and....and...yeah, that just about sums it up.

Burning Rangers?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
Sooooo..... does Nintendo get the console[ :P: : : : ]ation prize and get Saturn games instead?

Burning Rangers?

Was that a Saturn game?  I always remember that one as an Arcade machine I'd always see walking through Innoventions at EPCOT.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:17 PM »
Does anyone else notice that everytime my post gets quoted another ":" shows up after the smiley face?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
The Crazy Taxi port will hopefully not be based on the PS2/Gamecube versions, but I suspect it will. Which means no bringing guys to the Original Levis Store, the newer (not as good) voicework... and NO OFFSPRING. Criminal.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:55 AM »

No, it's because the Wii doesn't have the processing power to emulate the Dreamcast.
Wii is weaker than Dreamcast?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
A system need significantly more power than the system it's trying to emulate.

The PS3 has problems with the PS2 and the Xbox360 has issues with the Xbox.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 01:35:46 AM »
Sonic Adventure actually leaked about two months ago...I wonder why they're waiting until the Fall to release it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:28 AM »
It actually depends on the type of hardware being emulated. Surely the Wii does have the horsepower to emulate the Dreamcast, especially if Sega is the one making the emulator.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »
Does anyone else notice that everytime my post gets quoted another ":" shows up after the smiley face?

Its probably just your imagination. :P   :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
It actually depends on the type of hardware being emulated. Surely the Wii does have the horsepower to emulate the Dreamcast, especially if Sega is the one making the emulator.
Fun fact, the Sega Genesis emulator on the Wii was not done by Sega. It was done by M2.

Sonic Adventure with HD up-scaling and GLITCHES FIXED plz thk u.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »
I was looking over 1up's Top 16 most wanted Dreamcast games on the download services, and I'd forgotten that Grandia II was a Dreamcast game.   I already own the PC version, but that version's kind of janky and I'd very much prefer replaying that game in bed via my PS3 and DS3 controller rather than hunched over my laptop and keyboard.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
I am betting my last dollar that the wii2HD will be able to properly emulate atleast the Dreamcast. Mainly because Nintendo does not want its competitors to have something they do not have and SEGA being partnered with Nintendo solidifies that possibility to happen.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
I am betting my last dollar that the wii2HD will be able to properly emulate atleast the Dreamcast. Mainly because Nintendo does not want its competitors to have something they do not have and SEGA being partnered with Nintendo solidifies that possibility to happen.

I don't think Nintendo cares about its competitors "having something they do not have", or else the Wii wouldn't be getting its ass kicked in terms of features and 3rd party support.  Nintendo will do with its next console what Nintendo always does: what's best for Nintendo, to hell with everyone else.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:21:24 PM by broodwars »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 12:20:20 PM »

Are you kidding? Nintendo is built on not having what the competitors have.

Well I gotta say I am jealous over this. I want that Ecco the dolphin game so bad.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn