Author Topic: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11  (Read 35873 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Em Gee iPhone 4 yay!11
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
The whole system is down now. Way to go Apple, and no, it's not just because of traffic, but if they say it is, that's just pathetic.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »
Can't blame AT&T for network failure this time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
They ran out of their whole launch day supply in less than 12 hours. That's insane. So much for Android eating away their market share.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »
Aren't these pre-orders for people already on AT&T, the majority of whom already own an iPhone? They're letting everyone whose contract expires this year go ahead and get the upgrade, so that makes a huge difference as well, because people are getting to pre-order the phone up to 6 months before they'd normally be allowed to upgrade.

Edit: and also, while it is a ****-ton of people, it was still "only" 600,000 pre-orders. I would have thought they would have way more than that available, but of course they'll go the "limited supply route" like most companies due with launches.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:31:24 AM by Brandogg »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »
There were options on Apple's site for people replacing their current phone, adding a new line, or for people who don't currently have one. I'd assume that most of the people preordering yesterday were existing customers, but they weren't all. Even if they were existing customers, they were people who were willing to sign new two year contracts with AT&T, so that's 600,000 people who aren't willing to switch to Android to get on a better network.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »
Can't blame AT&T for network failure this time.

That's the benefit of having 5 operators here (confirmation for the 6th and 7th coming real soon), we have plenty of choice.

Personally i would buy the handset unlocked and plop it on a rolling one-month contract. That way i can get higher data bundles, more options and the freedom to be a tart and move about as i please. However its £599 for the handset, so even if i did do that i'd keep the phone for at least 18 months. Apple's store here died a death here and now it's been suspended until July so that's not too much of a surprise.

http://iphone.orange.co.uk/plans/
http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html
This is what's been priced at here, so far.

But i have a blackberry and i'm in a contract with T-Mobile UK until January 2011 so, iPhone 4 can wait. I want a HTC Desire :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:25:00 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »
Damn.  This does suck.  I had an issue with my credit card and I can't "pre-order" until tomorrow.  Now my iphone doesn't ship till July 14th.  Not the end of the world, but I was looking forward to June 24th. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 06:12:41 AM »
I was happy to be getting the same specs as my iPad in my new iPhone, but it turns out I'll actually be getting twice as much RAM as the iPad or iPhone 3GS. It just keeps getting better.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
My iPhone 4 just got here; now to begin the long process of syncing everything to it. The thing really is beautiful. Apple gets criticized for allegedly being form over function, which I'd disagree with, but damn do they know how to do form.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
"Retina Display" may be a stupid name (and it is) but it's not just Steve Jobs' patented reality distortion field; I legitimately can't see pixels. It's really amazing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:09 PM »
Got mine today. The scren is GORGEOUS, and everything is so snappy. I've already made use of the Folders function and the extra space. Still gotta do some facetime.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
I hope you guys aren't left handed, since holding the phone with your hand covering the bottom-left corner results in your signal completely dropping out after a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jon4lakers&annotation_id=annotation_591937&feature=iv#p/u/2/_GqUG-_Daek

Sure there are other ways to hold your phone, but this is a pretty huge design flaw.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
I hope you guys aren't left handed, since holding the phone with your hand covering the bottom-left corner results in your signal completely dropping out after a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jon4lakers&annotation_id=annotation_591937&feature=iv#p/u/2/_GqUG-_Daek

Sure there are other ways to hold your phone, but this is a pretty huge design flaw.

Wow, that sux. Think it's a hardware or software issue?

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »
My main concern is how long it's going to take my apple-fanboy friends to shut up about the thing.

... and just as the constant "I've replaced my entire life with an ipad and I'm much happier!" postings were starting to die down ... :[

It's like apple wants us to be miserable!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
I would say hardware issue, you're essentially blocking the antenna...effortlessly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
You're not blocking the antenna, you're grounding the antenna. If you put something between your hand and the metal it doesn't do that. Any kind of case will do, and, after seeing an internet post suggesting it, I was able to stop it from happening by covering that area with a strip of scotch tape. Even though it's pretty easy to get around, it's a really stupid flaw, and you've gotta wonder how Apple didn't notice it in testing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
Grounding the antenna...even stupider. I imagine this will be a simple fix, but there's at least 600,000 people with faulty phones.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 02:09:19 AM »
Well, there are pretty strong rumors hinting at an iOS update coming soon that will fix this issue. The fact that this issue has been reported on older models of the iPhone since the 4.0 update seems to indicate that software may have a role in the problem, so hopefully it works.

J.P. Corbran

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »
Loving iOS4. I didn't even realise my existing iPhone could get better! BOY WAS I WRONG!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »
So I'm on TWO lists now.  One at Best Buy and one at Apple.  I figured this would be faster than ordering online.  I'll be waiting by the phone the next week as I'm still rollin the 2G, can't wait for dis thang!  I use my current iphone for everything, calls, internet, little bit of games, guitar tuner, and most importantly, voice memos for song ideas.  Oh yeah, I use it for photos too, you know what I mean.  I think I'll have everything I want now, video chat is the only thing I really need, and now I will finely get that elusive satisfaction mankind has always searched for.  Can't wait!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »
Grounding the antenna...even stupider. I imagine this will be a simple fix, but there's at least 600,000 people with faulty phones.

Grounding the phone does not mean they are faulty. I'm sure Apple will tell iPhone users to levitate when holding the phone to prevent this from happening.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »

Grounding the phone does not mean they are faulty. I'm sure Apple will tell iPhone users to levitate when holding the phone to prevent this from happening.

Now now.  That's asking a bit much.  No.  They will blame the user because they weren't wearing rubber soled shoes or were leaning on something.  It's probably in the T & C's somewhere.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
I don't think the antenna thing is as bad as people are making it out to be. I can make my phone go from 5 bars to 3 at whim, but at least I'm getting 5 bars out of AT&T to start with. I've also yet to see the Edge 'E' on it.

I can kinda see how they missed this too. From the whole Gizmodo thing, you might remember that the phone was in a case to make it look more like a 3G(S). That probably means that at no time were any of the testers handling the phone without a case; otherwise, they would not have missed that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
Yeah, I haven't had any real issues with it. I can replicate it if I try, but it doesn't happen when I hold it the way I've always held it. Hopefully the rumored 4.0.1 patch comes soon and fixes the issue for everyone who is affected by the problem.

J.P. Corbran

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
How I yearn for one of my list leaders to call.  My current half broke 2G iphone makes me drop at least 14 F bombs a day.  14 legitimate, angry, somebody stop me from smashing this phone F bombs.  I've hit rock bottom.

My prediction is I won't have one till next Weds at the earliest.  Life really sucks.