Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1552267 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5200 on: March 30, 2016, 08:35:49 AM »
Yeah, I watched it, and it still left my head scratching.  I understand it's supposed to explain Lex's dialogue at the end, but it's not a lot of context and would've only been more confusing.  Honestly, A scene where you just see Lex {slight spoiler} asking the computer question after question to learn more about the universe would make sense, and if that came up, then it'd be fine. But the deleted scene seems like it should have deleted scenes.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5201 on: March 30, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
Saw it last night.  I'm not as down on it as the rest of you, but yeah, not quite a good movie.
[snip]
However, Superman is not a character that can fit in Zack Snyder's aesthetics.  Very little about Superman as a character worked in this movie.

I think it'll get worse for me the more I ponder it.

Yes it will. now go watch the deleted scene that WB/DC released and ponder on the significance of that and it's context, or lack there of, as a scene had it been left in the movie.

I keep thinking about how Lex's plan to make Batman want to fight Superman was insanely unnecessary. He was already obsessed.  All Lex really needed to do was deliver the Kryptonite to him. Plus, Lex was overly fiendish.  He probably didn't need to have Martha Kent killed.

Also, I get having Doomsday as a contingency if Batman doesn't win, but did he have a contingency plan for Doomsday? I would hope so.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: March 31, 2016, 01:38:11 AM »
Saw it last night.  I'm not as down on it as the rest of you, but yeah, not quite a good movie.
[snip]
However, Superman is not a character that can fit in Zack Snyder's aesthetics.  Very little about Superman as a character worked in this movie.

I think it'll get worse for me the more I ponder it.

Yes it will. now go watch the deleted scene that WB/DC released and ponder on the significance of that and it's context, or lack there of, as a scene had it been left in the movie.

I keep thinking about how Lex's plan to make Batman want to fight Superman was insanely unnecessary. He was already obsessed.  All Lex really needed to do was deliver the Kryptonite to him. Plus, Lex was overly fiendish.  He probably didn't need to have Martha Kent killed.

Also, I get having Doomsday as a contingency if Batman doesn't win, but did he have a contingency plan for Doomsday? I would hope so.

He didn't, because if it weren't for Superman, Lex would have been dead at the hands of Doomsday the minute he birthed from his eggsack.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5203 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
I kept thinking how cool it would've been if there was a scene after Doomsday was killed (with teamwork and not self-sacrifice) where Supe's says, "And what would you have done, if that thing killed me?" and Lex smirks, pulls a button out of his jacket, and smugly replies, "This" as he pesses the button, triggering a explosion blowing up Doomsday's head.

But seriously, Lex's plan gets worse the more I think about it. Like, he gave one guy literally ALL the kryptonite, and his plan if that guy failed was to unleash an unstoppable monster whose only weakness is kryptonite.  Like, he needed a better contingency more than OJ needed a better alibi.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

a relevant dialog from a different movie.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5205 on: April 01, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
Ha. Great point. But does that fit Lex in this movie?  It would explain a lot, though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: April 01, 2016, 09:35:59 PM »
He does mention his dad a few times, maybe he died in the Alien Invasion? The villains don't have good plans or motives in these Man of Steel movies. Zod planned to use a gravity drive on Earth, a planet with billions of innocent sentient life. Why earth? Why not Venus? Why not mars? Why not a moon of Jupiter? If you're going to kryptoform a planet it is a terrible plan to wipe out a possible support planet. Hell, the best solution would be to keep earth as is. Apparently, if you go on vacation on Earth you will get super powers if you're Kryptonian. How could future Kryptonians not benefit from that? Not only that, I'm pretty sure they can extract Kryptonian DNA without harming Superman given their advanced computers. If they had taken their time they wouldn't have all died. Their plan was brash and it sucked.

also, has anyone seen pumpkin head? check out this scene
https://youtu.be/w9p_Lce95Pg?t=2267
It all makes sense. I was watching the movie and I was like..did Lex Luthor just do the pumpkinhead ritual?

Gone Baby Gone 8.5/10
It's a pretty good detective movie.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:39:07 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5207 on: April 02, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
I just finished watching BvS.

It is not nearly as bad a movie as the critics and fans are saying.  There is a very good movie in there just waiting to be edited down and released.  There is so much good in the movie, but it is surrounded by a lot of filler and some crap that just makes it look really bad.

First, Lex Luthor could be edited down.  His performance if over the stop and strange, but it could work if it is more limited.  This Lex feels like the Lex Luthor in the animated series once he is beaten to the point he goes Crazy and does something irrational. 

Second, just taking every reference out of this movie that is supposed to set up the next movies would help.  The dream sequences and visions should be the first to go.  They just don't fit.  Especially the long Batman one.

The good.  I liked the scope of this movie.  It truly felt Epic and where they could have easily split this into 2 movies I think the theme and story truly felt like you were watching an biggest Super Hero movie of all time. 

I thought they nailed Superman and Batman.  It was a pretty spot on.

I liked the dark "Opera" like approach to this story. 

Last, I felt like they really were able to spend some time world building in this movie, which was pretty cool.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: April 02, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »

a relevant dialog from a different movie.

But form a different movie in which it used the dialog to explain itself far more plainly and had a single premise to run with.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5209 on: April 02, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
He does mention his dad a few times, maybe he died in the Alien Invasion? The villains don't have good plans or motives in these Man of Steel movies. Zod planned to use a gravity drive on Earth, a planet with billions of innocent sentient life. Why earth? Why not Venus? Why not mars? Why not a moon of Jupiter? If you're going to kryptoform a planet it is a terrible plan to wipe out a possible support planet. Hell, the best solution would be to keep earth as is. Apparently, if you go on vacation on Earth you will get super powers if you're Kryptonian. How could future Kryptonians not benefit from that? Not only that, I'm pretty sure they can extract Kryptonian DNA without harming Superman given their advanced computers. If they had taken their time they wouldn't have all died. Their plan was brash and it sucked.

Yeah, but MoS sucked too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: April 02, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »
One question I have about the DCCU.

Considering how BvS is tumbling in B.O., ratings, and appeal... after showing Cyborg's origin in the mid-movie trailers, should the Cyborg movie still be on track to happen, do you think they carry on with the origin that was shown in BvS?
because I honestly, at the time, could not tell you WTF happened in that scene.
I found out later is was a "mother-box" and has something to do with Darkseid
, but even after knowing that and being somewhat familiar w/ DC, i still don't really know what that means.

I would imagine in their "director-driven" movie-verse they got going on, that they leave the details up to the writers and directors to hash out..(at least that was their plan up till this point). so what if that conflicts with what the writers of Cyborg wanted to happen in their movie? As far as I know, no one has a single solitary unified vision of what is happening, where everything is headed, and how it's supposed to get there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:16:59 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: April 02, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »
I would imagine in their "director-driven" movie-verse they got going on, that they leave the details out.

Fixed that for you.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: April 02, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
I honestly am looking forward to the Extended R Rated Directors cut Bluray w/ all the extras and (still) deleted scenes and all that.
But not so I can partake in that 3hrs of potentially self-inflicted punishment that I might have even less enjoyment out of the 2nd time around. But so that someone out there with too much time on their hands can do a definitive "fan-edit" that removes all the **** that brought the movie down and possibly trim it back to roughly 2hrs or less.

The 2 things I would most certainly remove, without even knowing if any additional context is added to them to make them flow better into the story is:
1: The Dream Sequences, in their entirety - just flat out remove them from the movie. They were uncessary and only confused the audience as they just happen so jarringly and then left more questions w/o providing any answers.
2: ANYTHING that has anything to do with Justice League setup. specifically, but not limited to the mid movie trailers for Video flicker Flash, Horror movie Cyborg and the stare down Aquaman clips. They were awkwardly placed in the movie, and the whole reason WW was even trying to get into the system at all really didn't make much sense to begin with. But they needed a reason to HYPE her movie, and have her interact w/ Bruce, and for him to realize that she was something special, before realizing her connection to the Warrior that showed up at the big fight.

Certainly could have been handled better... much like most of the movie.

But I honestly think I've spent far to much time talking and reading about this movie over the last week or so.
So disappointed. I know I'm a Marvel man, but I really wanted to like this, even if I didn't like it anywhere near as much as my MCU offerings.

and it's a shame that BvS is tanking in it's 2nd weekend (70% drop?), with no competition, and some people still on Spring Break.
not a good sign at all, especially since Justice League starts filming on April 11th.
BvS is actually tracking below Deadpool both domestic and internationally right now.
and that's w/o Deadpool ever releasing in China....

Civil War can't come soon enough.

remember when WB tried to muscle Marvel off of the 1st weekend in May spot?
and Marvel not only didn't budge, but actually called their bluff?

Looks like DC not only swerved out the way, but ran right off the road.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:28:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: April 04, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Saw it.

I liked it more than everybody I have talked to in person. I understand the movie is deeply flawed and the issues people have are valid. However, I feel like people are judging this on what its not more so than what it is

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TWO SEPARATE MOVIES RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME. POKE'MON RED/BLUE STYLE

Batman Vs  Superman: Knight of Justice

Superman Vs. Batman: Dawn of Justice

I know this could be a difficult task on the surface but it feels like 2 different movies at times, so I say embrace the epicness that this story deserves.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5214 on: April 04, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
More I think about the movie.  The more I feel there really is a great movie in there...however the studio made them set up the entire world for a DC movie universe. 

However, the most of the Batman and Superman stuff is good.  I like the focus on Superman more than Batman and it feels like a Superman movie following Lex Luthor around and having Batman be less center stage.  There are elements where Lex Luthor is actually played really well.  If they would have taken the crazy down just a little. 

I know some have complained about Lex Luthor's plan that we didn't understand his motivation...but honestly, this movie didn't truly need to set up his motivation...it needed to set up Batman's motivation and they did a good job at that.  I believed Batman's motivation was sincere and his resolve was absolute.  I also felt the reason he quit fighting was believable.  And it worked for the overall story.

If they took the Justice League stuff out and the dream sequences this would have been a great film for what it is...a Super Hero tragedy. 

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5215 on: April 04, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
I know some have complained about Lex Luthor's plan that we didn't understand his motivation...but honestly, this movie didn't truly need to set up his motivation...it needed to set up Batman's motivation and they did a good job at that.

I agree with your point to an extent.  They needed to focus on why they Batman wanted to fight Superman, and that was done well.  But they also needed a reason for Superman to fight Batman.  And the film's reason is because Superman can't explain himself in time, but also because Lex is making him.  Lex has no real motivation for this.  And without any motive for Lex there's really no reason for Doomsday to exist.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5216 on: April 04, 2016, 09:46:25 PM »
I took the plot line of Batman taking the Kryptonite as not part of his overall plan.  He didn't want Batman to have it.  He wants Batman and Superman to fight, but he still wants to possess the ultimate weapon against Superman.  But now he lost it.  It might still be useful for him.  I don't Lex is manipulating both of them, but he isn't a perfect mastermind controlling both Batman and Superman perfectly...which is why he results to both kidnapping Martha AND making Doomsday.  The biggest mistake made in the movie in my opinion is making it Doomsday and not Bizarro. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:07 PM »
  The biggest mistake made in the movie in my opinion is making it Doomsday and not Bizarro. 

But if they did that, then you would have seen WW bodying "Superman" with her Sword, Shield and Lasso. It wouldn't have been a good look for "Superman". It also would have been much harder for Bizarro to kill Superman, so a giant mutating nuclear explosive Cave Troll was almost a necessity in bringing Superman down.

Also Lex's plan was totally unnecessary, I don't think he expect the Batman to steal his Kryptonite, and Batman was already setup to take on Superman w/o any interference from Lex. But Supers did need a reason to actually confront Batman again. the whole "Martha Martha Martha" thing was pretty lame though.

It's a shame this movie turned out to NOT be what most people wanted. The cartoons handled it so better.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
One of the few things BVS (and Man of Steel) got absolutely right was the musical score. But then its Hans Zimmer. He's frequently in danger of making music more iconic than the film itself (Inception especially!).

It's sad to see that he's retired from scoring superhero movies now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: April 10, 2016, 05:49:35 PM »
Hardcore Henry - Or its alternate title "First Person Shooter: The Movie". This is batshit crazy. I havent seen a movie become a game so closely since Scott Pilgrim. The best description is "what would happen if you cross Avatar the movie with a FPS  game?" This is the result.

I also saw The Huntsman and Midnight Special, but Henry was the standout.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: April 11, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
I meant to go watch Hardcore Henry this weekend... maybe I'll get to it this week.

I also heard Midnight Special was pretty good. That's another one on my list.
But I'll probably end up going to watch Jungle Book this weekend.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5221 on: April 11, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
I saw Zootopia and 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday.

Zootopia was good.  The social messaging was a bit obvious. It was hard to pinpoint the exact metaphors they were going for, but maybe I was just trying to make things more on the nose than the film did.  For all of the environments they show in the film, you only get to spend time in a select few. I would've liked to see more, but that's more of a positive comment.  The plot was actually pretty good.

10 Cloverfield Lane was a bit different from Zootopia.  The small cast really shined.  You could feel the tension throughout, and I felt that the characters made reasonable decisions (except for one, but his motivation was there).  A few notes on the ending: It was more sci-fi than I expected, but I suppose you needed the payoff since you knew what this was going in.  Also, the things were way different from the Cloverfield monster.  That was weird.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: April 12, 2016, 01:35:09 AM »
I saw Batman v Superman it badly needs an editor.

I'm fairly well versed in the DC Universe so I understood most of the references but there were so many unexplained/badly setup scenes in this film it must be completely confusing to the uninitiated.

- I did like Ben Affleck as Batman.
- The bat cave was cool What happened to the manor?
- Wonder Woman was enjoying the fight at the end which was nice in such a grim story.
- I actually liked Kevin Costner showing up again for a scene.
- The visions would have made a better movie on their own.
- Somehow everyone knows everyone's secret identities?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:37 AM »
10 Cloverfield lane 8/10

Nickmitch summed up my feelings on the movie. The explanation for the monsters being different. The movie is more of a "theme successor". Imagine each cloverfield movie as some sort of weird scifi movie. John Carpenter had originally wanted Halloween movies to be different scary movie ever year. It never worked out that way. The American horror story series does this idea every year. Same sort of vibe, different stories. AHS has the advantage of using the same actors.

Zootopia  8/10 A good kids detective movie. All the beats of a buddy cop movie, but with animals.

I like Nile Boogies idea to have done 2 movies for BVS. They should have released them at the same time. I think they could have handled pacing a world building much better that way. Kill bill was originally going to be a long movie. They broke it into two movies, they didn't do something as crazy as release them at the same time though.

One thinks of Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince. Imagine if they had tried to make those into one movie. It would have been terrible. Also, that movie was dark as ****, but they handled it alright.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: April 12, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
I don't have it in me to write a long post trashing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. It was a train-wreck. I knew it was going to be a bad time when it started with Batman's origin (because we need to see that again) which ends up being a dream... that Batman narrates because sure, everyone narrates their own dreams.

Total character assassination of just about everyone except Wonder Woman because she wasn't in the movie long enough for Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer and the other writers to **** all over her character. They literally killed poor Jimmy Olsen who they didn't have the decency to even name in the movie because Snyder thought it would be "fun" to kill off a fan favorite.

I can't talk about this movie anymore right now because it's making me really upset. I'm going to lie down and count to 10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:49:19 PM by Adrock »