Author Topic: "Santa is magical!"  (Read 4424 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
"Santa is magical!"
« on: December 16, 2006, 07:07:17 PM »
I must confess something. While I really enjoy the holidays, I HATE the commercial bullcrap behind it, ESPECIALLY the commercials for crap because they are able to convince people that buying crap equals love and acceptance.

I could go on about this, but I just saw a Wal mart commercial that did it for me...

It starts with a little girl approaching her mother with a letter for Santa. She asks her to deliver the letter for her. The mother looks at her and says "But you already sent a letter to Santa!".

"I know, but this is for my stocking!"- the girl replies.

The mother then becomes concerned and says "Not only is it a little late to ask, Santa is on a budget!"

"But mommy, Santa is magical!"- the girl replies in a smart alecky way and  leaves the room.

I almost lost all the blood in my body when I saw this. I mean, this is taking Holiday greed to the next level.

A real parent would NOT let this fly. If the kid already asked for a toy, there's no way a parent would let the kids get away with a second list. If the kid pulls the "Santa can get me anything I want!" crap, that's the time to drop the "Santa does not exist" bomb.

I hate Holiday commercials, I really do...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: "Santa is magical!"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 07:38:21 PM »
I'm gonna tell my kids (assuming my seed still works) that our family is on SSS, Santa's Second Shift, and that we receive presents on the 28th or something after all the sales start.

But yeah, consumerism like this makes me glad my family doesn't give xmas presents anymore.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:40:28 AM »
Kids today have their parents on a leash. Go walk around a store one day and just watch how kids behave. If they don't get what they want they throw a sh!ts fit until they get it. Nothing they get is ever good enough and the parents never stop trying to please their kids.

So many kids today are spoiled and they wind up growing up, thinking the world owes them something. Commercials like the one pap talks about really proves this. Somehow it has become morally acceptable for kids to be greedy and tell their parents what the deal is. I bet if the little girl in the commercial doesn't get stuff off the second list she will wind up hating everything she gets for Christmas just because she didn't get the extra crap "for her stocking."
Check out PixlBit!

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:"Santa is magical!"
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 05:57:19 AM »
I can't help it I have to buy my kids and my sisters kdis every thing they want, I cave everytime. Maybe its cuzmy parenst christmas shoped at the thrift stores.

I never got anythign good growing up I always try and buy the kids everything I can, within reason.

I used to love christmas but too many bad things happned the last three decemebrs I am starting to hate the month.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »

Originally posted by: segagamer12
I can't help it I have to buy my kids and my sisters kdis every thing they want, I cave everytime. Maybe its cuzmy parenst christmas shoped at the thrift stores.

I never got anythign good growing up I always try and buy the kids everything I can, within reason.

I used to love christmas but too many bad things happned the last three decemebrs I am starting to hate the month.

Wait wait wait...not only are you an "adult", you are also a parent?

Sorry for my bluntness, but by the way you act around the forums (and the way people treat you), I thought you were a teenager.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:49:20 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Wait wait wait...not only are you an "adult", you are also a parent?

Sorry for my bluntness, but by the way you act around the forums (and the way people treat you), I thought you were a teenager.
Never heard of teenage parents? he has a few kids apparently and he is mexican? doesn't that fit some sort of stereotype?

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:14:54 PM »
On a side note, I am getting Guitar Hero II for Christmas because I couldn't justify buying it for myself.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 08:45:43 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
Santa does not exist

Pap gets an F for spoilers.
GOREGASM!

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 05:21:34 AM »
No I dont have any kids, but I am 24. I have 2 nephews 1 neice and a little girl my friend had who I babysit regularly and call her my own just cuz she is the greatest thing on the planet.

And I am NOT a mexican. I just live in a town where I am one of the very few white people. But I do speak plenty of spanish and am very into Hispanic culture.

AND SHAME ON YOU PAP, your on myspace friends list and you didnt knwo how old I was?

I meant that if I had kids I would spoil the crap out of them cuz I do with the 4 whose lives I am a part of.

And come on I am like on a Nintendo forum shouldnt I act like a little kid....

I mean Nintendo is for kids anyways right?  
You can call me

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 05:41:48 AM »
Rat is on MySpace?  This I have to see.  Link please.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:10:26 AM »
"I mean Nintendo is for kids anyways right?"

WRONG. TRIX is for kids!
Nintendo is for teh kiddies!

p.s. Vudu check his sig, its been linked for quite some time  

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 09:02:26 AM »

And I am NOT a mexican. I just live in a town where I am one of the very few white people. But I do speak plenty of spanish and am very into Hispanic culture.
I so have to see that XD

Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »
You know, I have to hear this commerical pretty much every day, multiple times a day.

Is it stupid?  Yes.  Is it how real parents work?  Yes.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
You know, I have to hear this commerical pretty much every day, multiple times a day.

Is it stupid?  Yes.  Is it how real parents work?  Yes.

Work at Wal Mart?

That sucks, at least I can change the channel.

And that's why I hate it so much because parents would fall into the bullshit quite easily.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
Anyone see the BMW commercial with the N64 kid? LAME!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman
I saw that last night.  At first I got all excited because I thought it was a commercial for the Wii.  Then I got a little sad after I saw how BMW gimped the original version in order to wedge it into their crummy commercial.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman

If anyone wants to see the travesty TVman is talking about, it's right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isWoLyG5dpY
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 03:19:47 PM »
I think I'll write them an angry letter, just as soon as exam week is over.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
They have it on the official N64 kids website.

It's pretty stupid...

On the topic of stupid Wal mart commercials, there is another one that annoys me, but not as bad as the Santa is magical one.

It deals with this old guy who apparently is not very fond of his son in law. The wife tells him to get something for him, to which he groans at in annoyance. Then he goes to the gift card department where he hears an employee telling someone that they can customize the gift cards with their picture. The commercial cuts to the gift giving scene. Much to the surprise of the son in law, he receives a gift card, with a rather angry picture of the old man.

My grief with the commercial's logic is this...if you are bitter against a person that you must give a present to, and give a present that shows some bitterness and anger towards the person, WHY even give that person a present?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 03:35:13 PM »
You can buy those personalized gift cards without actually putting money on them.  Perhaps there is no money on it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
ugh bmw changed it from an n64 to a robot
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 04:32:35 AM »
Ok well its officialy I spent more money on kids this crhistmas than my sisters and parents. I just have 2 more to get presents for and I am running out of time. My one nephew has a 360, I wanted to get him a good game but cant find anythat he would like he doesnt already have. the other kid I need to get soemthign for just wantsa  Wii and nothing else. I migth have to give her mine and geta new one latter on. or get her a ds and hope she likes it.
You can call me