Author Topic: MechAssault Announced for DS  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
MechAssault Announced for DS
« on: February 16, 2006, 05:57:26 AM »
Majesco continues to publish handheld versions of Microsoft's most popular franchises.

MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES "MECHASSAULT: PHANTOM WAR" FOR NINTENDO DS    

Acclaimed 'Mech Series Goes Handheld with All-New Touch Screen Features

EDISON, N.J., February 15, 2006 - Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ:  COOL) today announced MechAssault(r): Phantom War for the Nintendo DS  will ship to stores later this year.  The first handheld installment of  the critically acclaimed series, MechAssault: Phantom War features  popular franchise elements while utilizing the Nintendo DS touch screen  to deliver a new level of control and maneuverability.    

"MechAssault: Phantom War fuses the best game play elements from the  series with new features that take advantage of the unique mechanics of  the Nintendo DS," said Ken Gold, vice president of Marketing for Majesco  Entertainment.  "The touch screen lets players intuitively 'touch' the  cockpit controls to hack into giant 'Mechs, eject pilots, switch weapons  and check battle techniques."    

Developed by Backbone Entertainment, a division of Foundation 9  Entertainment, MechAssault: Phantom War brings the future of  interstellar combat to today's handheld gamers in a third-person  futuristic shooter. Players assume the role of a MechWarrior, an elite  fighter trained to control the ultimate war machine of the 32nd  century...the BattleMech.  Gamers experience fast-action, 3D 'Mech  combat on the top screen, while the lower touch screen positions them  inside the cockpit at the controls.      

Exciting MechAssault: Phantom War features include:    

* Commandeer over 20 types of vehicles, including 'Mechs, Tanks,  Turret and BattleArmor;  
* Wreak havoc on the enemy and environment with an arsenal of  powerful, fully upgradeable weapons;  
* Brand new story drawn from the popular BattleTech series which  spawned highly successful games like MechWarrior & MechCommander for the  PC and MechAssault & Crimson Skies for the Xbox(r) video game system.  
* Use the touch screen to sneak into enemy territory, hijack enemy  'Mechs and wield the most secret weapon in the Inner Sphere;  
* Wireless multiplayer combat for up to four players  simultaneously;  
* Master 24 single player campaigns across four planets and three  exciting  multiplayer game types;  
* Unlockable 'Mechs, maps and cheats enhance gameplay.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: MechAssault Announced for DS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
So, um, which year does that play in? 32nd century sounds like the clans are already involved. I wouldn't mind another pre-clan game like MW2 Mercenaries...

And wait. Crimson Skies is BattleTech related? Wasn't that about dogfighting in biplanes between airships or am I confusing that with another Microsoft game?

Offline ATimson

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:MechAssault Announced for DS
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
So, um, which year does that play in? 32nd century sounds like the clans are already involved. I wouldn't mind another pre-clan game like MW2 Mercenaries...

It's going to be post-Clans; the one screenshot mentions the Lyran Alliance, which didn't break away from the Federated Commonwealth until shortly after Clan Smoke Jaguar was annihilated.

And wait. Crimson Skies is BattleTech related? Wasn't that about dogfighting in biplanes between airships or am I confusing that with another Microsoft game?

No, it was about biplanes. And they aren't related. My guess is that the confusion stems from both universes originally being creations of the same game company, FASA.
Grr. Argh.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »
Screens look pretty good...except the bottom screen which is boring beyond all comprehension.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 01:11:14 PM »
Wow...Mechwarrior DS...thats one game I would have never predicted.

Pretty awesome though.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »
BLASPHEMY!!

....looks pretty cool tho.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 02:39:53 PM »
Huh, there's something I didn't expect.

If anything I expected MechCommander.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 03:42:25 PM »
I wonder if the Colosseum and other arenas from MW4: Mercenaries will return with Duncan Fisher...
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »
I think it's a bad choice not having an online multiplayer mode, too bad for them 'cause I would get it just for that feature 'cause that's the only way I could play multiplayer.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
NOBODY expects MechAssault DS! Our weapon is surprise.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 10:40:54 PM »
Needs more touchscreen Shadowrun.

Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 06:12:20 AM »
From the gray bars I take it that's photochopped?

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »
Yep. I slapped it together as part of "what game do you want on the DS" thread on some forum a while back. The top and bottom of the screens were cropped slightly to fit on the DS (less than most other SNES games would need) and the grey bars are unused screen area. I could've expanded the pic with pieces of two more screenshots, but I didn't feel like it.

I think Shadowrun would really benefit from touchscreen for the weapon-aiming and picking up/examining items, and the top screen being a status menu works because you can see your HP total which is more accurate than your life bar (although the status menu could probably be improved to include things like stats on your fellow runners), and the keyword-based dialog system could even be drastically improved with relatively-simple voice recognition.

IMO, one of the only things better than an enhanced DS port of the SNES Shadowrun would be a DS sequel to the SNES Shadowrun.

I figured this was Never Happening because MS seemed to be rethinking it's Nintendo support with the DS compared to the GBA, and they're making a new Shadowrun FPS for the Xbox360, but this MechAssault announcement makes me hopeful again. Of course, there's still no evidence of this (Shadowrun DS) actually happening.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 08:56:41 PM »
ruby_onix, that picture is beautiful.  I am a huge fan of Shadowrun on SNES.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!