Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1198054 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4150 on: July 07, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
American Gods has ended its first season, and is already renewed for the second. Both Gods and Westworld have had incredibly polished and gorgeous visuals in their debut seasons, but Gods had an incredible cast (especially Ian McShane and Orlando Jones) that gelled almost immediately and simply ramped up with a chemistry that improved over time - Gillian Anderson as Media as David Bowie was just an incredible sight.

I find West World is the better of the two as it is alot easier to follow since it establishes rules while American gods has none or not as apparent due to the setting. Although this aspect does slowly get better while still playing very fast and loose.

AG is visually impressive or at least diverse due to them having a a far wider canvas to paint with. However the overall quality of the effects isn't quite there mostly because of the sloppy composition.

I knew of Ian McShane from John Wick where he plays a god or as close to one a mortal can be. He is is delightful but it's not really a fair fight putting him up against Hopkins who also plays a god of sorts. I would not have picked out Gillian Anderson if I didn't already pick that up from your post so damn good job from her not that she doesn't slip just a little here and there.

I do like how the show pretty much shits on Christianity as being useless while making jokes and brings in much more marginal believe systems into play which is far more interesting than feeding Christian exceptionalism.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: July 24, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
Wynonna Earp (especially season 2) is such cheesy fun. A great little series to watch and not think about too much.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: July 30, 2017, 12:36:17 AM »
Has there been any good new Anime lately?

I watched Castlevania which was pretty good. It incorporated alot of game elements without shoeing horning. Dracula is very sympathetic until he does what he does because there wouldn't be a story otherwise. It looks quite nice and has a distinctive western style with it's fixed frames, precise gore and especially with it's strong lip syncing.

Being the Dark Ages it is delightful that another show shits on Christianity for being awful(Not that modern incarnation is much better).

The characters are good managing to get some development in the 4 episodes. It introduces many characters but they are all quite distinct, easy to remember. Great casting with no money being spent on expensive on "Star power".
It is delightful that this has been adapted well.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: July 30, 2017, 01:08:03 AM »
UFC 214 - God damn, Bones is back! Whooped DC's ass, gave an amazing speech afterwards, then called out Brock Lesnar. What a badass.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: July 30, 2017, 02:00:24 AM »
I just finished Netflixvania as well, and I thought it was pretty...average, I guess. The writing's pretty decent, but the voice acting's all over the place & the art and animation are pretty mediocre. Reminds me of those EA direct-to-DVD movies (Dragon Age, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno, etc.).

On the story side, it was neat seeing influence from several different versions of Castlevania, including Lords of Shadow. I'm actually kind of surprised that they bothered to include the Mirror of Fate from the LoS games. I didn't really care for Trevor till late into the 3rd episode, though. Up until that point, he comes off as a half-assed Tyrion Lannister.

Overall, it's a decent foundation but I REALLY hope the second season has a MUCH bigger budget to go with that larger episode count, because I've seen better art & animation in early 2000s anime.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »
GoT S7E4 = HOLY ****!!! RETREAT!!!

OMG. **** was crazy. I should have waited till Sunday afternoon to watch this episode so I can immediately watch the next one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: August 08, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
Agreed, it was a great battle. Proved Bron was a much bigger badass than seen previously.

People are thinking Drogon will die from an infection in the wound, just as his namesake Khal Drogo did.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: August 08, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »
I'm ignoring this season of GOT until the season's all out & I have a chance to watch it with my best friend (who's been watching the series with me up until now).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »
Yeah that episode was ridiculous. I watched it when it leaked (didn't have access to HBO while I was away) but had to re-watch the battle scene this afternoon on HBO GO on my TV. So badass.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: August 14, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
Goodbye Orphan Black. For a series that was too complicated and often collapsed under its own plot at times (season 3 in particular), Tatiana Maslany is a stunning actress who is so good that you actually forget she is playing multiple characters (sometimes at once) on the same show.

Tatiana Maslany playing Sarah who is impersonating Alison, or any of the other combinations is just a joy to watch. You actually see the ticks and accents of both characters fall over each other as one struggles to impersonate the other.

I hope she moves onto better things because she is definitely one of the best actresses of recent times.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: August 15, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »
The destruction of everything decent - 0/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 16, 2017, 08:39:33 PM »
Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 6 (yes the leaked one) - HOLY ****/10
Holy fucking ****. Daenerys is Jon's queen, and it seems like he is her king. That's all good and well, but Jesus Fucking Christ, the Night King killed Viserion and now the army of the dead have their own fucking dragon! There's still one more episode to go, but season 7 is going to be fucking nuts!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 16, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
OMG I read that spoiler (totally shouldn't have)... I told my wife this could happen and she laughed it off as ridiculous.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: August 16, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
Now you must watch! I heard a lot of people predicting that recently, oddly enough. Go watch!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
I would be butchered by my wife if I watch without her, but she's acting weird. I think she cheated on me and watched it, because she always laughed about my undead ice dragon theory and now she is much more interested in my theories and thoughts about GOT than usual... HAVE I BEEN CHEATED ON?!?

I'll see if I can get a copy early and sit down with her.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 19, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
I watched the 1st 4 eps of The Defenders.

took many restarts to get through the 1st 2 episodes (late night or too early in the morning starts) but it got pretty entertaining about halfway through the 3rd and throughout the 4th.

JJ and her mouth. LOL
LC telling IF about WP = LOL

I'm really wondering how LC is gonna end up banging Elektra (and/or Colleen) before the show is over, since he's nailed every other main actress of age on the show so far. j/k that ain't happening.

I'm looking forward to the final 4. IF is portrayed better in this one, and the fights are choreographed much better this time around. Not perfect, but certainly much better than what was going on in IF.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: August 19, 2017, 06:45:07 PM »
We sat down and watched GOT 7-6 last night and OMG it was crazy. Can't wait to watch it all again. Things are going crazy fast.

Also wrapped up Luke Cage and really loved how it all went. Its a good run. Now I'm wrapping up Iron Fist, hoping to complete that in the next week so I can start Defenders.
My Game Collection

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:51 AM »
The Defenders (entire first season...or entire mini-series) - 7/10
It was pretty good, not as good as Daredevil though. I never watched Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, or Iron Fist...and now I don't need to. I'm glad that it was only 8 episodes, The Hand is getting old. I'm also glad that Elektra killed Stick, that guy was always the worst part about Daredevil - though it was pretty cool when he cut off his own hand. Surprising number of decapitations in the show, which was cool and unexpected. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you want to be caught up for the beginning of the next season of Daredevil, and probably all of the other shows.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:03:34 AM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:29 PM »
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are great. You're missing out. You can skip Iron Fist. I enjoyed Iron Fist when I watched it, but it isn't as good as the other two, and less essential overall.

And really the way I look at it, the whole super series was the defenders all along and this is really defenders season 6
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 22, 2017, 09:46:55 PM »
I finished The Defenders on Sunday, and I can't really defend the show, but it just was. I wasn't blown away, I didn't walk away hyped, excited, or even just happy... it was just, over.

I don't know what it was, it wasn't like I disliked it, because I enjoyed it enough to marathon it in 2.5 days. I'm not sure what I expected out of a TV series on a TV series budget, but this certainly was no Avengers on TV moment. It just feels like for all the time they had to put this mini-series together, it could have been better, and the reduced episode count should have amounted to a higher budget per episode for some even wilder and crazier comic action on my TV screen.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to anyone on that Marvel fix, but i hope they execute better for The Defenders 2.

DD S3 and Punisher better knock it out the park.
I got high hopes for LC S2 and hope for a more exciting JJ S2 as well.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: August 23, 2017, 04:30:24 AM »
I don't think I'll be able to do Punisher.  It looks very graphically violent.  I won't be able to stomach it lol (yes I know I'm a sook)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: August 23, 2017, 04:34:26 AM »
The Defenders really wasn't the best series in the Marvel line.

One thing about having binge-iness qualities is that they can make the episodes whatever length. I feel like they didn't use their time well. It also feels like a seriously cut budget. I think this meetup should have felt more like a movie.

Like the end battle location just looks like the took a warehouse and covered it with foam

Hopefully on the next round things escalate and we have an enemy better than the hand. Also, hope characters develop a little more.

I think an enemy seriously has to beat Danny's ass for him to get good. He think's he's good, but he's just cocky/fanatic. I'm looking at the enemies for Iron Fist...and they all sort of suck. Maybe they ought to make up an original one for season 2.

If I were in charge of Iron Fist season 2. Iron Fist needs to get into battle with a big bad Shonuff type character. Get his ass beat. Find an old wise master. Train with that master. Learn new techniques. Learn how to effectively use his chi. Get Good. And defeat the big bad. Though not entirely because the big bad has to get away to be in future ****.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Tai_Chi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Karate_Kid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_III
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Rises

This plotline works. This also made me realize Luke Cage was Star Wars.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:43:40 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: August 23, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
Elektra was against Luke in episode 5, yet he was fighting defensively trying to avoid the sword, and she threw HIM?.

Both of those shouldn't be happening.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: August 27, 2017, 01:05:55 AM »
McGregor vs Mayweather - surprisingly good fight. Would have been nice to see them go the full 12 rounds McGregor can take a punch, if this was UFC they wouldn't have stopped it yet, but it was still a lot of fun.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: August 28, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »
Season 7 of Game of Thrones was good. It just moved too quickly. I felt that they could have used a full season (three more episodes) to flesh out the story and give more weight to what's happening. I wonder if this is because the show has moved past the books and George R. R. Martin only gave David Benioff and D. B. Weiss so much of what's left in the last two books, or because Benioff and Weiss felt they had to shorten the season to get the set pieces they wanted so instead of a few bottle episodes, they just cut them entirely. Maybe it was both. It's a shame. Dorne, for example, had no pay off despite spending a lot of time there a couple seasons ago.