Author Topic: Nintendo Preparing New 2D Mario for 3DS  (Read 10828 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Nintendo Preparing New 2D Mario for 3DS
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »
I imagine you like Super Mario World's map because everything was connected, there weren't really "worlds." But how are SMB3's world maps different from New Super Mario Brothers/Wii?

Oh, true. I keep forgetting that New Super Mario Bros. Wii had those. I guess it wasn't that memorable of a game for me then. :P But yeah, I do love the interconnectedness of Super Mario World's um.. world. I wanna see that again -- with branching paths on the map and stages with alternate exits. Keep me on my toes, Nintendo.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 03:01:59 AM »
But that sure as hell is not the case anymore.  Mario, and I mean the "real" Mario, the platformer Mario, is going to be Mega Man within five years at the rate they're going.  They can't keep this series interesting or exceptional forever.  Eventually it will become stale and formulaic.  At one point they used to space these things out to keep it going forever but now they just crank them out and the end is going to come sooner than later.

Of course Nintendo also used to be a very creative and original developer and I now associate them as a cookie-cutter franchise assembly line (with less concern with quality to boot).  This is disappointing but totally expected.  Look at what is happening here.  Nintendo is announcing a new Mario platformer and I DON'T GIVE A ****!  This used to be a big deal but now it's routine and uninteresting.

And is this different than the New Super Mario Bros. game they demoed for the Wii U?  When is that coming out?  Are we getting TWO new Mario platformers in one year?

It will all be unessential product within five years just like Mega Man, Sonic, Bomberman and all the other videogame franchises that were driven into the ground by being over-milked.

Once again

New Super Mario Bros DS - 2006

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 2009

New Super Mario Bros 3DS - 2012

How in the f*ck is this milking the series?  Really, your going to compare the 2D Mario games getting a sequel every 3 years to Mega Man and Sonic which got sequels every 1 year.  That is total bullsh!t and you know it.  And don't start bringing up the 3D games to try and justify your argument because while those are platformers, the gameplay is completely different from their 2D counterparts.  That's like complaining that they're milking Mario Tennis because they announced a new Paper Mario.

And the New Super Mario Bros Mii demo for the Wii U was just a tech demo, not a real game which Nintendo kept repeating a million times at E3 last year.  It might become a real game at this years E3, or it might become a real game at E3 2015, we just don't know.  Now if Nintendo does announce at this E3 it's been turned into a real game and they are going to release two 2D Mario in the same year then you'll have a point.  But right now the actual facts still stand that there's only been one 2D Mario every 3 f*cking years.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 07:39:18 AM »
I'm worried that Nintendo of Japan refuses to accept 3D mario games as the way to go. 3D land and Galaxy are amazing games, and are more creative and inspired than either NEw Super Mario Brothers DS/Wii games.

That's because the market is not accepting them as the way to go (the NSMBs VASTLY outsold the Galaxies). 3D Land may be the one to finally bring 3D Mario to the same level of success as 2D Mario but it did that by being Super Mario Bros in 3D, not by being Super Mario 64 3DS. 3D Land does a lot less to force the developer's creativity on you, whereas the Galaxies added variety with minigames like ball rolling or flying on a bird or dragging from star anchor point to anchor point the only change to the core mechanics in 3D Land are short timers and shadow Mario, the rest is based entirely on the Mario mechanics.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »
Hey alright. Should be a great compliment to 3D Land.

I'll stop getting excited about new Mario games when either ...
A) I'm disappointed with a flagship Mario game.
or
B) Nintendo starts "milking" their franchises with the frequency of certain *ahem* other companies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:51 PM »
with branching paths on the map and stages with alternate exits.
The NSMB games had these too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
The three EAD Tokyo Mario games are all in my top 4 of the series, and NSMBWii isn't too far down that list. I'm with NinSage here Did I really just type that?; as long as they keep the quality as high as it's been recently I have no problem with them regularly going back to the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
Did I really just type that?

You did. At least it wasn't Kytim.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
All the other current gaming franchises are at least on their third iteration on this console generation.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
We did get three Mario games on Wii, albeit in two very different styles. Not that I'm complaining, though; as platformers are by far my favorite style of games, I am absolutely loving this renaissance of the genre, both from Nintendo (and some other big name companies, to a much lesser extent) and the growing indie scene.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:43:46 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
I just think many of us that grew up with gaming during that era when everything was a platformer (you know, just before everything was a fighting game, just before everything was an RPG, just before everything was a shooter) felt like even though there were many crappy ones, there was always room for more GOOD platformers.  And if anyone knows how to make those it's Nintendo.

PS - Tip o' the hat to InsanoLord.  Don't worry, sometimes I flat out agree with broodwars.  These things happen and it's pretty cool.  ;D

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »
Regarding the artsyle, I think Mario would look interesting in sort of a colored pencil style like Yoshi's Island or Ivy the Kiwi.
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:56 AM »
I think that stuff should be left to the spinoffs

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:34 AM »
Being too traditional is what held back the NSMB games.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
This actually wasn't news to me. Miyamoto said back in 2010 that a 2D Mario for 3DS was in the works, alongside 3D Land.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2010/11/05/super-mario-3ds-games-on-the-way-in-2d-and-3d-says-shigeru-miyamoto.htm

Therefore, it is likely to show up at this year's E3.

Offline tokimaru12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
I have to say, i agree with shaymin. once the WiiU 2D mario hits, we should get a break. im not particularly "sick" of the 2D mario games, but i could use a break from them. if to many games come out that i HAVE to get because NOA has brainwashed me to do so, ill end up like John-.-
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:24:21 PM by tokimaru12 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
You know you guys have the right to not buy mario games.

"Dude...McDonald's needs to chill out with the Big Mac. I'm getting sick of it."

*Blank stare*
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 05:40:19 PM »
This actually wasn't news to me.
What's new is the release time frame.