Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions  (Read 18881 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »
Yep, the Xbox 360 has the same Quick Match, Custom Match and Create Session like the PS3 version. There must be more Xbox 360 owners of the game (that are online at least) as I have only gotten "This game session is full" a few times before I get into an actual match.

I haven't tried friend matches on the 360 yet.

I've always been able to find matches, but rarely on the first try.  It usually takes me a couple of times.  Maybe it's just my network connection...I had some lag in one match.

I'm sure there are plenty of PS3 people out there playing online, since this is the only online fighting game on the system.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
My question hasn't been answered. Is the Darth Vader vs. Yoda screenshot a well made Photoshop or has someone figured out how to unlock him in the 360 version?

Silks mentioned above that Vader was supposedly coming to 360 via DLC.

Actually I heard it's pseudo DLC in a way that vader is actually on the disc but you pay 800 MS points and you get sent a code to unlock him.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 06:58:38 PM »
Actually I heard it's pseudo DLC in a way that vader is actually on the disc but you pay 800 MS points and you get sent a code to unlock him.

If that's the case, that is SUPER LAME.  Soulcalibur = Professor Layton
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »

If that's the case, that is SUPER LAME.  Soulcalibur = Professor Layton

Umm no, your essentially paying 10 dollars for something like a cheat code in order to get Vader. Layton donwloads a little unlocker code.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
I was on the fence about getting it (since SC3 was a massive shitfest) but I picked it up after a bunch of fighting game rocket scientists that had already been playing it for a month determined it was not broken

Hilde is the HOTTEST

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Isn't Hilde in a full suit of armor?

Okay, I'll probably get this game. If it's anything like SC2 or SC3, I know I'll enjoy it, and it's pretty, and there are ginormous bewbies all over the place. I mean wow, Ivy could knock over one of the DoA girls just by turning around.

Can't really afford the game yet, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
It's definitely worth owning.  Tons of replay value and there's already at least five people on these boards that own it on PS3.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 11:36:03 PM »
It's definitely worth owning.  Tons of replay value and there's already at least five people on these boards that own it on PS3.

I will apparently be the lone 360 owner.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 11:45:58 PM »
Nonsense, I have the 360 version =)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
So now several people have figured out how to use Vader, though unofficially, on the 360 version, but it 100% confirms that he's on the disc. They're not unlocking him (as there's still a blank spot on the character select, obviously which will be used for Vader officially one day), but rather just renaming/swapping some files on the disc (need a modded console to do this hack) and replacing another character with him.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 01:54:22 AM »
So now several people have figured out how to use Vader, though unofficially, on the 360 version, but it 100% confirms that he's on the disc. They're not unlocking him (as there's still a blank spot on the character select, obviously which will be used for Vader officially one day), but rather just renaming/swapping some files on the disc (need a modded console to do this hack) and replacing another character with him.

Yup sometime in the future they will let you have the option of paying 800MS points and they will send you a code to get vader.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 06:07:21 AM »
Isn't Hilde in a full suit of armor?

So?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:49 PM »
I got the game yesterday. After playing  it for nearly 6 hours here are my early impressions:

-Story mode is surprisingly disappointing, especially since SC III had interactive cutscenes and everything. I, however, find this a bit good. I like to play through the single player mode with every character and unlock his/her ending (or whatever the case may be). When a game has 30+ characters like SC IV it becomes a chore. So it plays to have a brief single player campaign. Plus, if you play with all characters the campaign becomes longer in a way.

It definitely beats the hell out of MK Armageddon's endings. SC IV's story may be brief, but at least we are treated to a good cutscenes, unlike MK's which was basically scrolling text.

-I haven't played through all the modes yet, but I feel SC IV is more balanced than III. I recall the difficulty in III going like this...
Easy-easy-normal-normal-OMG THIS GUY'S A BITCH TO BEAT!!!-normal-easy-A challenge.

Its still a button masher, but I feel it allows for creative chains and combos.

-The character creation mode...ROCKS! I confess I've been playing this more than the game itself. The menu system is a bit confusing, but once you figure out creation characters is a breeze. Its weird, though. The mode was available in III, but I couldn't get into it. Now in IV, I can't get enough of it. I made around 10 characters last night.

I honestly wish the option to trade characters with  friends was available. III proved that people LOVE to show off their characters. It would have been awesome to play as someone's disturbing creation.

-Destroying a character's armor...is my new guilty pleasure. *Blushes

I honestly go through the training mode and see what happens to each character when their armor is lost. Ivy is, sadly, a lost opportunity :( . But messing with Hilde is GREAT! :D

With the main characters only a few pieces of armor are shattered. With customized characters, go, you can go all the way. So yes, you can create a hot female character for the sole purpose of stripping her.

God, I am being perverted right now, but mark my words. Some developer out there will go all the way and make a fighting game in which the sole purpose is to strip your opponent. And I suspect that game will be...Dead or Alive 5 XD .

-Yoda's a cool character, though I agree that his height can be a problem. Fighting  as him you need to jump in other to fight the other character. Fighting him means you need to do low attacks.

He's still a fun character, and hopefully the download to unlock Vader happens soon.

Overall, I am liking SC IV A LOT more than SC III. There's definitely a lot of polish in its main areas. The graphics are just beautiful and the character selection is amazing, clones and all.

I will play some more and updated my impressions. I still need to unlock The apprentice and other characters.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 02:53:06 AM »
Character creation mode is great.  I've already made Chun-Li, Ike, Lyndis, Nephenee, and Harley Quinn.  Still looking to make Link, Zelda, Gatsu (Berserk), Boy and Girl type Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Guy (Fire Emblem), B. Orchid (Killer Instinct), Hector (Fire Emblem), and Zero Suit Samus.  Hours of fun ahead.

I got all of the characters unlocked and am currently in the process of trying to get ascend the Tower of Souls while unlocking the treasure chests.  Wow, some of the requirements are friggin' hard.

-don't miss an attack
-guard 10 times in a row
-kill 4 enemies in a row with a critical finish

Overall, the games quite enjoyable, although it's not very different from prior versions.  That's both good and bad.  If anyone wants to play online sometime, shoot me a PM with your gamertag.  Mine is MNC Dover.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 05:57:44 PM »
The DLC in this game is ass, for the create a character parts your just paying for 108.0kb unlocking keys.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 07:39:47 PM »
character creation mode is still not as good as wwf attitude
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »
lol

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »
lol

I knew the oxymoron would be noticed...

What I meant is that you CAN breeze through the game smashing buttons or doing the same attacks over and over again. But those with a little creativity can pull off some great combos or surprising attacks.

I am sure some player out there has fully mastered a character and is doing some insane stuff with him/her right now.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »
it could be done on Wii, and i hate the fucking apprentice, who the hell else can block every goddamn thing you throw at them and dodge attacks, turn you around. I could play make him attack, but that is so damn boring.

I was playing last night, and i don't know he was just unbeatable, i had beaten him before with mitsurugi, but i couldnt do it again. I spent 45 minutes playing against him, and id have him near brink and then he'd unleash a chain of cheapshots. I got sick of playing, so i switched to Siegfried and kicked his ass.

Except mitsurugi looked just like scorpion, and siegfried looked just like ganon :P

haha, i just went online and looked up some other creations, man do my creations look better than all of those. Crap, if it can't be done perfectly do your own redesign, or composite designs. Just make it look cool! Mt Scorpion and subzero look frickin cool, or cold. Ganon hasn't been green for a while..he's Black!

Still today, wwf attitude is king of character creation....armor is great, there should be just as much 2d texture options as 3d armor options..a mix of the two would make incredibleness.  To be honest, if i were to create a character editor, i'd have physical armor seperated from virtual armor(similar to paper mario, goemon) that way you can make your character look however you want, but still have a leveling up system that makes more game depth. The key to making a great character editor is figuring out what people want to make before hand, and including it. If you can do this you can satisfy the character creators innate ability to please the creation sense, and the other urge to make unlicenced characters.

I don't know why there isn't a character that plays exactly like link but looks different, and a stocking cap.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:38:26 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
I'll probably be getting the game later tonight. Hey, if they still have a special edition, is it worth the extra buck? Is it just a Tshirt that you get, or are there more goodies in that box?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
Believe it or not, you actually get a pair of limited edition Soul Caliber 4 sweat pants with Hilde on your ass.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
YES. Anything for more sweat pants. They only seem to come in two colors (black and grey) so some variety would be nice! :-)

Microplay was out already (damn!), but they're calling me as soon as a new shipment comes in. I'm excited.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:57 PM »
I'll probably be getting the game later tonight. Hey, if they still have a special edition, is it worth the extra buck? Is it just a Tshirt that you get, or are there more goodies in that box?

Don't ask me because I buy the limited edition for every new game I plan on buying. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
The Apprentice is totally ridiculous.  He's way too hard, I can roll through Story mode with every other character.  With Vader, you roll through everybody just like every other time, but then The Apprentice is virtually impossible to beat.  He blocks everything and then combos you to death.

The Limited Edition is cool, but probably not necessary.  About the most exclusive thing you get is a code to download now new costume stuff that you don't get in the normal edition, but it's nothing amazing.  You also get a t-shirt, tournament poster, marker to use on the tournament poster, and a comic book.  I think that's it.  I'm like GP, I always get Limited Editions, but I don't think it's mandatory for Soulcalibur IV.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »
Don't ask me because I buy the limited edition for every new game I plan on buying. ;)

What a horrendous waste of money.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown