Author Topic: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions  (Read 18879 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur IV First Impressions
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:49:22 PM »
Just got this for PS3.  I'm not a huge Soul Calibur guy (had it for GameCube, but never really played it), but so far it's pretty cool.  It seems very button-masher-friendly, though.  You can peel through the story mode for each character in about 10 minutes.

Vader is cool...it's fun to do the force moves on people.  Has anybody played Yoda?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Calibur IV First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
I played the hell out of SCII on GC, skipped SCIII, and I want SCIV (custom characters, and the goth android are so enticing) but I'm still undecided on which version to get. After reading the review on ign I am leaning towards the dark side of the force because apparently Yoda is not a balanced character, screw the green maggot, I want the black behemoth.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
I love Soul Calibur. I think it is getting to the point where they are just rehashing, but they game still plays alright and I'm not tired if it yet. I played SC 1 & 2. Skipped 3 unintentionally.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »
Soul Calibur has always been a button-masher's best friend. I unfortunately never had the chance to play the third game (or fourth, if you count Soul Edge), but the inclusion of Star Wars character is definitely a lame decision. At least Link fit in fairly well (even if Spawn might not have).
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »
The way they explain away Vader is that he "felt a ripple in the Force" or whatever, so he opened up a doorway from his galaxy to another dimension so he acquire Soul Edge and Soulcalibur.  I'm sure Yoda's backstory is equally lame.

Just as an FYI the PS3 version...

- lacks PS3 Trophy support
- doesn't have rumble

I think this is lame, but for a game this big I'm sure they'll add it in a patch.  Note that the PS3 version does have 55 "Honors" achievements that you acquire as you play, but they aren't integrated with the PS3 Trophy stuff like, say, the achievements in Super Stardust HD (actually, come on Sony, put out some more Trophy updates already!!).  Also, Vader has been all but confirmed as upcoming DLC for the 360 version, but the same all-but-confirmation has not been made for Yoda on the PS3.

I also read on 1Up that the PS3 version doesn't upconvert to 1080p, so I guess it's only 720p.  I can't tell - it looks gorgeous on my setup, that's all I know.  I don't think you can go wrong with either version, honestly.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:00:32 PM »
I won't get this unless Darth Vader comes to 360.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
He will, most definitely.  There are already screenshots floating around from the 360 version of the game that show a matchup screen with Vader vs. Yoda.

In terms of what kind of effort it would take to bring PS3 trophies to Soulcalibur IV, I thought this was an interesting piece of information from the creators of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, who are releasing a 48-trophy patch soon.

--------------------
IGN: How long did it take you to go back and implement Trophies in the game?

Arne Meyer: Adding Trophies was a relatively simple task for us since we already had a reward system coded into the game with medals. It took about a month to go from deciding to go ahead with adding Trophy support all the way through testing and releasing the patch.
--------------------

So there you go, it only takes about a month to add trophies to a PS3 game that already has defined trophies within it.  Since the PS3 SC IV already has their "Honor" achievements in the game, I'm sure we'll see a patch that adds rumble and trophies some time this year.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »
Even though the decision to add Star Wars characters was a dumb one I am still looking forward to SC IV on the 360.

I've been dying to play a new 3D fighter on my 360 and SC was it. I LOVED the first game to death. It was an impulse buy that I never regretted.

SC II I only rented it for the PS2, but was fun. I owned SC III and it was good, though it had balance issues and the graphics were pretty blah.

From everything I read SC IV looks to be the best in the series. I heard the character customization is better this time around. I can't wait to bring some original characters to life.

He will, most definitely.  There are already screenshots floating around from the 360 version of the game that show a matchup screen with Vader vs. Yoda.

In terms of what kind of effort it would take to bring PS3 trophies to Soulcalibur IV, I thought this was an interesting piece of information from the creators of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, who are releasing a 48-trophy patch soon.

Are you sure they weren't Photoshopped? Or is Vader unlockable in the 360 version?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:17:55 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »
I heard that yoda is fun but is a cheap character primarily due to his height, some attacks don't even hit yoda because of his height. I bet no one wants to fight against him online.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
- doesn't have rumble

That's so... retrograde, for lack of a better word. Wait. How about: WTF?

I also read on 1Up that the PS3 version doesn't upconvert to 1080p, so I guess it's only 720p.  I can't tell - it looks gorgeous on my setup, that's all I know.  I don't think you can go wrong with either version, honestly.

Whether the PS3 is running games natively at 1080p, or not, is not important because most people won't notice. In fact, I think that even MGS4 is running natively at 720p with an upconversion of the video signal to 1080p for those with such sets. Why do I think so? It's because I think that even though I think it is possible for the PS3 to do 1080p, I think that the amount of time/money that developers have to at the moment invest on making these big games running natively at 1080p is not worth the effort if they can easily just upconvert a 720p signal without notice from the general public which don't care one bit. It's the same kind of philosophy that we've seen imposed on Wii games which are labeled to be in 16:9/480p, but in the end that's not what we get, we get an approximation of it.
Just as a note, I was once informed that video at 1080p can only be discernable to be better than 720p when viewed on screens bigger than 60 inches. Suffice it to say that there's not a relevant percentage of HDTV owners with screens bigger than 60 inches.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:44 AM »
No no no, you can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at about 32 inches, unless you're sitting more than about 6 feet away, at which point...you wasted your money on a 32" screen. Honestly. There are hardly any games that run natively in 1080p on either 360 or PS3, but the PS3's scaler sucks, so the game will look better running in (scaled) 1080p on the 360 than on the PS3. Maybe not a whole lot better, but it should look at least a little better nonetheless.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »
Not having rumble is a WTF for me, too.  As for 1080p, I'm running at that with my PS3, and SC IV looks great.  But then, I'm guessing it's at 720p.

And all I can say is that the Apprentice is a BITCH to beat.  I can't do it so far.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:29:52 AM »
My question hasn't been answered. Is the Darth Vader vs. Yoda screenshot a well made Photoshop or has someone figured out how to unlock him in the 360 version?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:13 AM »
I think it is funny when I hear so many conflicting reports about when 1080p is beneficial I've heard that it is usually only beneficial if you have a TV larger than 42 inches. So I think it is all in people's head to have such a wide range of opinions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:24:54 AM »
My question hasn't been answered. Is the Darth Vader vs. Yoda screenshot a well made Photoshop or has someone figured out how to unlock him in the 360 version?

Silks mentioned above that Vader was supposedly coming to 360 via DLC.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:53 AM »
Soul Calibur has always been a button-masher's best friend.

Try and button mash against anyone who knows how to play the game, they will wipe the floor with you. I've played the game, and seen the game played in tournament settings and there is just no way you would win a single round unless you played with someone equally unskilled.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
I played the game serveral hours yesteday for the 360 and here is what I can say:

1) So far it doesn't seem like Vadar is in the 360 version, but as others have said I wouldn't doubt it if they include him as part of a DLC package. (In fact when you start up the game it checks for downloadable content immediately).

2) The story mode is pretty weak. While it does continue the progression of each characters own story line it does so in a very . . . rushed fashion. It's 5 matches and you're done for each person and the 5 story matches don't vary much from one character to the next.

3) The matches on normal mode in story would be considered "VERY EASY" back in the soul calibur 1 days. Not very challenging at all.

4) Character customization feels somewhat strange as the whole process seems somewhat more convoluted than it should be. With that said, there is a much greater level of customization this time around than in Soul Calibur 3 including stat boosts from specific items, the physical build of your character, and a greater range of voices (to name a few improvements).

5) The Star Wars characters don't steal the show, which is nice. Although Yoda being in the intro movie felt so . . . out of place, the rest of the time you barely notice they are there.

6) The original cast play just as you would expect them to and while I don't really like some of the art direction with some of the characters (*nitpicking*) at the end of the day you feel right at home playing the game as the core formula hasn't changed drastically.

7) The inclusion of the instant finisher system is weird but not game breaking, thankfully. For those who don't know, this is a new system in the game which is supposed to prevent people from just blocking all the time. I never saw this as a problem before but whatever . . . anyway . . . there is a green orb next to each characters life.

If you keep blocking the orb changes colors slowly until it gets to red. Eventually your life bar will start to flash and if you keep blocking still the orb will just shatter and go black. At this point if your opponent hits ABKG the match instantly ends as they perform a finisher.

It's not an each thing to do (that is, get the orb to get to black) as you practically have to block from start to finish. Also when you land a strike your orb fills back up with color.

All in all its a somewhat weird but interesting addition to the game, though I don't see it playing a huge role in many matches.

9) The breakable armor system is neat although it's odd to be fighting against female characters and have their armor ridden pants literally blown away. (Doesn't work with all characters but it happened twice to me so far lol).

10) Of interesting note, the biggest change to the series gameplay is the "cancelation" system. It seems the most if not all cancels are handled differently this time around. Example, Xianghua's cancels are now performed by simply holding down the button combination of the original move: So say you are pressing down X + Y to perform an attack, if said attack has a "cancel" you simply continue to hold down X + Y and the move cancels. I think I like the new system of canceling but only because I sucked at doing them in previous titles lol.

---------------------------------------------------------

So, in the end, it's not the best in the series (Sorry, Soul Calibur for DC remains the best IMHO) but it certainly is a worthy addition to the franchise.

If you're a Soul Calibur fan I'd recommend getting it, especially with the inclusion of online play and soon-to-be (I hope) downloadable content.

Edit: Online Play Impressions and "Style Level" impressions

I didn't think Soul Calibur would play well online but I was wrong.

I'm around 27 matches in and so far it plays extremely well (for a fighter). Loading is near non-existent even with custom characters, which is quite a feat IMHO and anyone with a lag rating above 3, from a scale of 1-5, equates to a pretty damned good online match.

Finding opponents is quick and easy with Xbox Live (as most online matches are) and you can choose to either join a match (via quick play) or host your own (where you can choose the time limit and such for a match).

The ranked battles is really all I have touched upon and it's a pretty fair rating scale. You face off against opponents with a 3 match win scale and if you win you gain points. Bonus points are awarded if you do certain things in a match, ie: get a ring out, get some extra points). If you loose you loose points. If you gain 400 points you gain an online level. Your level is what ranks you on the leader boards but it also will show your win and loss record.

While there are some frustrating moments (like, say for example, a hit goes right through a player even though it should have connected due to lag), these moments are few and far between and it goes without saying that this is a TON of fun for any soul calibur fan.

-------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I kind of noticed in story mode but certainly noticed in online play was the new inclusion of the "Skill Level" scale.

As you progress through the game with a certain character (online play, single player mode, etc) you will start to gain skill levels.

As far as I can tell, the skill level of your character is what gives you access to more complex movesets for said character.

Example: I played practice mode with Kilik to see how much they changed him and I noticed holding down and using his mid attack only did a 2-3 hit combo as opposed to his previous 3-4. Another words, the final part of the move was "missing".

I thought this was a simple change till I built up the skill level and then all of a sudden the move, and others, began to return.

I don't know quite how I feel about this, it doesn't seem hard to gain levels (it just kind of happens) but it is another intriguing game elements they have added to the franchise.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:16:30 AM by Mashiro »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 08:29:37 AM »
Vader is either already in the game, or is coming via DLC to 360. There was a video of Yoda vs Vader on youtube, but it had to be taken down.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bosshogx

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »
From the limited time that I've had with it, I noticed that Yoda is borderline broken.  All high attacks go over his head and he can't be thrown, but he can throw other people.  As cool as he is, I think ROTJ Luke would have been a more logical choice for both game play and story purposes.  Oh well.
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 10:31:59 AM »
Soul Calibur has always been a button-masher's best friend.

Try and button mash against anyone who knows how to play the game, they will wipe the floor with you. I've played the game, and seen the game played in tournament settings and there is just no way you would win a single round unless you played with someone equally unskilled.

I'm not entirely sure how true that is. Of course someone who knows what they're doing will have the advantage, but I find it hard to believe that they'd completely wipe the floor with a button masher unless they were using a ranged character like Ivy of Kilik. Even if not, the game is still very friendly towards button mashing as so few powerful attacks can easily be pulled off by accident. It's a nice and fluid system, but it never feels as satisfying as linking together a huge combo in Mortal Kombat would. Then again, perhaps the series has changed since I last played it. Namco keeps releases sequels on systems I don't have, even though they've all been about on par with the Dreamcast's graphics (except this newest installment, obviously). :P

Yoda looked silly enough leaping around, swinging his lightsaber in the prequel films... I can't imagine he works much better in a fighting game.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:35:08 AM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
I have played as Voldo in every iteration of the game, and when I was in my prime with the game I could beat button-mashers without them hitting me once. There are a number of combos with a variety of characters that can render a button masher defenseless. Blocking only accentuates that point further. I can just hold block while the button masher goes crazy, once there is a natural pause in their attacks I can leverage my knowledge of my characters moveset to begin comboing on you. On the surface any fighter seems button-masher friendly, but playing anyone who is proficient with the title will quickly reveal depth that was completely unseen before.

People would argue Smash Bros. is a button masher, how many people on these forums would agree with that?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »
I'm going to have to back Mr. Jack fully on this one . . .

SC isn't button masher friendly. Sure, you may pull of some cool looking moves but you won't stand a chance against an actual good player.

Range really has nothing to do with it (although Kilik is my favorite character), when I play against those who really have no clue what they are doing it's extremely easy to pick just about any character and use the gameplay mechanics to your advantage.

Waiting for an opening is the easiest way to exploit someone who just button mashes (when you play long enough you pretty much learn how each move effects the character, including how much down time it gives them) or just parry their attacks.

Show me a button masher and I'll show you a win with an experienced play ;)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »
I'll second that, in the sense that I'm a total button-masher, and I had my ass HANDED to me last night.  I mean, people getting perfects on me and stuff.  I was curious to see how far I could go against human players with zero knowledge of the fighting engine, and I got my answer pretty quickly.

On the PS3 I was having a hard time getting into quick matches.  I kept getting "This game session is full" and "No match found" errors.  Does the 360 version have you selecting from Quick Match, Custom Match, and Create Session like the PS3 does?

The one good thing on the PS3 is that you can invite players from your friends list like on 360.  However, you have to go to "Friend Match" in order to check on your invite.  It's pretty clunky.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
Yep, the Xbox 360 has the same Quick Match, Custom Match and Create Session like the PS3 version. There must be more Xbox 360 owners of the game (that are online at least) as I have only gotten "This game session is full" a few times before I get into an actual match.

I haven't tried friend matches on the 360 yet.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »
This is a game I really wanted on Wii. I mean the VC controller is perfect and the color of Luke's lightsaber is spot on too. ;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.