Author Topic: Iwata: We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings  (Read 21370 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Iwata: We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »

Iwata Apologizes for Bad E3

Nintendo's president says good core games take time to prepare.
by Matt Casamassina

July 22, 2008 - In an interview with Forbes, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata apologized for the company's lackluster E3 media briefing and said that while it chose not to display more core games, that doesn't mean that the developer isn't working n them.

"If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it's a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means," Iwata said. "We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda.' However, the fact of the matter is the so-called 'big titles' need a long, long development period. ... We really didn't think this year's E3 media briefing was the time to do so."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/892/892854p1.html

For the original article:

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/07/21/nintendo-wii-shortage-tech-personal-cx_cm_0722nintendo.html

==============================================
==============================================

:o Wow I didn't expect this. As somebody who was really pissed off (you guys seen my posts) this is great that Nintendo recognized our frustration and acted swiftly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:05:04 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Iwata: We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »
1st.

Don't forget you hardcore whined swiftly.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »
1st.

Don't forget you hardcore whined swiftly.

*ahem*

BARK

BARF

haha losers
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »
It's unfortunate that they feel they have to apologize for something that isn't necessarily their fault, but if it appeases the super hardcore, maybe the internet will become more calm as their mouths shut.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
I'm fine with E3 going away.  Let it be.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
Yeah, kill it off. Speaking of which, didn't they announce the 2008 E3 shortly after last years show? I haven't heard anything about the 2009 E3.

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
So this means they don't have any core games nearing the end of development at all then?

Great

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »
Yeah, kill it off. Speaking of which, didn't they announce the 2008 E3 shortly after last years show? I haven't heard anything about the 2009 E3.

It was a couple days after the event, but that wasn't so much a "see you next year" as it was "okay we get it, the Santa Monica thing was a disaster.  Please stop setting flaming bags of poo on our steps!"
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »
I disagree Redgiemental, as I'm sure that Some people don't exactly appreciate that Killzone 2 just made its 4th E3 appearance.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »
holy crap?  they're trying to break a record?

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
So that's where Chris Morris went. After being so prominent during the Gamecube era, it seemed he just dropped of the face of the internet. More likely, forum goers stopped quoting and linking his articles. Don't like the hair though...

We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda

Maybe he needs to put Reggie on a shorter leash, for it was he who made mention to wait for news at e3. Was anyone here really expecting news about a follow up to Galaxy, just after 8 months since its release? I personally wasn't holding my breath for another Zelda...

The Nintendo faithful have forgiven the company before--and it's likely they'll do so again. But as non-core gamers contribute more and more to the company's bottom line, their voices are likely to grow still louder

Sounds like Sheep vs Wolf. The aren't many wolves, but bark and howl to no end. The sheep just go 'baaa' and chew grass...

But nice to know that they acknowledge the bitching. I guess core gamers in return, not expect epic announcements this time next year.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline shammack

• "This space intentionally left blank."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
So that's where Chris Morris went. After being so prominent during the Gamecube era, it seemed he just dropped of the face of the internet. More likely, forum goers stopped quoting and linking his articles. Don't like the hair though...

Yeah, but he was hilarious in Brass Eye.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 10:43:55 PM »
"We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda.'

I was hoping for something new besides Mario and Zelda, myself...

A new franchise would have made this E3 great. Sequels for Zelda or Mario would also be nice, but let's see something new...

is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 11:18:30 PM »
"We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda.'

I was hoping for something new besides Mario and Zelda, myself...

A new franchise would have made this E3 great. Sequels for Zelda or Mario would also be nice, but let's see something new...

WiiMusic/Resort anyone?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »
Well we are getting a new Mario game soon, Mario Sluggers of course!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
Nintendo needs to pull a Capcom and go back to classic 8/16 bit style games for the VC.

Shorter development times and it would appease the more traditional gamer.

Just a thought.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
You know what kills me about this announcement? I feel that the hardcore weren't waiting for another mascot game, as has been mentioned by Reggie and Iwata. Its a hard drive. Its Kid Icarus. Its Retro's next game. Its publishing the Conduit and allowing it to have hardcore online features. Its freakin telling us that they are cracking down on crap games and instilling a sense of pride in the developers instead of creating a dumping ground.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »
They recognized our frustration and acted quickly acted... by saying they were sorry and reiterating that the Mario and Zelda teams were hard at work.

If you were angry before, I really don't see why you'd be placated now. Of course, I was fine with it before, so Iwata's lip service is of academic interest to me.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »
So guys you want to have another twilight princess situation where it was in 2 or 3 different E3s and then bitch that it won't come out for another 2 years? Hell look at Killzone 2 this was like the 4th damn time it's been at E3 and quite frankly I'm sick of seeing it.

There is a reason why companies try to avoid releasing early footage of a game in progress remember how shitty the too human demo was when MS and SK acknowledged that they showed it off too early and this was before or during the time when SK was switching from the Unreal 3 engine fiasco. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 12:39:46 AM »
"We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda.' However, the fact of the matter is the so-called 'big titles' need a long, long development period. ... We really didn't think this year's E3 media briefing was the time to do so."
That's great and everything, but unless you plan on showing something, don't say you will. And this little apology is pointless if you're still not going to announce something. I don't care about confirmations of games that I know will be coming out. I know a new Mario and Zelda are in the works because those series are always in the works.

People would have complained about E3 regardless, but I think Nintendo dug themselves into a hole because they just can't seem to keep their damn mouths closed. Do they have a cure for word vomit?
So guys you want to have another twilight princess situation where it was in 2 or 3 different E3s and then bitch that it won't come out for another 2 years?
At the same time, Nintendo did delay the game over a year to not only add motion controls, but fix the controls because the controls weren't up to their standards. Fans need to calm down in general, but you can't blame fans for Nintendo delaying a game. It's not the fans' fault that Nintendo's only "hardcore game" at launch was a game built for Gamecube.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
Actually, I was fine before. I was disappointed that nothing 'cool' was announced, but that's ok. I am looking forward to Wii Resort, mainly because I know my wife will play the game with me.

But then to come out and appologize and say 'we hear you, don't worry, our teams are hard at work on the next mario and zelda', that's not hearing us at all. I think its a given that Nintendo is working on their franchises. I just call BS on this apology because its not addressing the complaints at all.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:21:11 AM »
But then to come out and appologize and say 'we hear you, don't worry, our teams are hard at work on the next mario and zelda', that's not hearing us at all. I think its a given that Nintendo is working on their franchises. I just call BS on this apology because its not addressing the complaints at all.

If it's a given that Nintendo are working on their HARDCORE franchises, why create an uproar about Nintendo abandoning the HARDCORE GAMERS!?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:08 AM »
If it's a given that Nintendo are working on their HARDCORE franchises, why create an uproar about Nintendo abandoning the HARDCORE GAMERS!?

A. People are narrow minded and stupid
B. People are hard headed and gullible when it comes to mass media
C. People blindly follow the ideas of the majority
D. The internet makes people stupid
E. All of the above
negative F. People like to whine about everything and turn it into something unintentional or a soap opera and then bask in the glory about having the "right" opinion
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:34:01 AM by Flames_of_chaos »

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:34 AM »
i don't think people are necessarily saying abandoned but every other year they would have something "for us" this year they don't. There's obviously been some reprioritization gone on there and not in "core gamers" favour. I have to say they had little I actually wanted to play and finding out that they simply don't have anything nearing release to show me isn't great news for me.

Not necessarily looking for MArio or Zelda just something with objectives/missions/levels what I would define as a traditional game.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »

Hardcore does not live on Mario alone.

By the way, I really hate the term 'hardcore' in reference to gamers.