Author Topic: Nintendo Details Plans for Content Filtering  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Nintendo Details Plans for Content Filtering
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

Posting naughty drawings for the public to see will not be tolerated.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30644

In a recent interview, Satoru Iwata has detailed Nintendo's proposed method of how their Miiverse public posting content filtering will work.

Firstly, content will be filtered for inappropriate words through the use of a software program. Secondly, Nintendo plans to hire people to manually check posts before they are made live. However this method requires more time, at the moment a delay of at least thirty minutes is expected. The last line of defence against any questionable content, is that the users will have the ability to flag content that is offensive. However, it was stated that this method isn't as ideal because the user has already seen the content.

It appears that these measures with content filtering only apply to the main public home screen and other public posts within games, and not messages between friends.

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Nintendo Details Plans for Content Filtering
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
I think this is a good idea.

As long as Nintendo realizes that In-game communication is vital during multi-player games the messages that appear on the WiiU menu screen and on other in-game menus are perfectly acceptable to be filtered. 

Personally, I respect Nintendo for their position in protecting kids.  And I think we now understand why Wii's messages literally took so long to deliver...Nintendo probably had a similar system for the Wii as well...just not publicly stated.

Although, I would say, I wish Nintendo would provide a privacy setting that cancels all filtering on your user account with the risk unfiltered material being shown.  I could see Nintendo only allowing this once a parent user has been created and password set up.  But...that is completely acceptable as well.

Offline supergtt

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
communication between friends should be unscreened and uncensored.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
There should be restrictions on a console level. If a parent wants to turn public posts or even Miiverse off altogether and then password lock it as an additional measure, that option should be available to them. There should be a wide variety of privacy options with different levels of security. Maybe they won't bother and still bitch about it. "Ugh, I don't like to raise my kids. I don't like talking to them. Things should just happen without me having to do anything." The options should still be there nonetheless.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:19:48 PM by Adrock »

Offline lifetimeofnot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
uhhh..... am I the only person who thinks this seems like a pain. At peak hours it would seem like nintendo would need to have a lot of people to handle all of the messaging. not only that but this means that you would have to wait an hour to get a response to any questions you post on the message board, that kind of defeats the purpose.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
I'd like a job where all I have to do is stare at messages all day long and decide whether or not they are inappropriate.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:26:56 PM »
I hope you also like minimum wage and no health benefits.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:21 PM »
@ Adrock
But imagine the blackmail potential!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I hope you also like minimum wage and no health benefits.
Hm, maybe I should get two positions then. Doesn't really matter, it's the easiest job in the world!

Offline SeaNet

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
Hm, maybe I should get two positions then. Doesn't really matter, it's the easiest job in the world!

Easiest job in the world? You have 1.3 million messages to censor in the next 8 hours. And... GO!
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:48 PM »
Actually it is the easiest job in the world...

It is also the most boring, and potentially demoralizing.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
I guess we know what NOAs college interns will be doing for the next few years.

Seriously, though, as a parent whose kids will probably be playing this console, I also appreciate Nintendo's position on this.

There should be restrictions on a console level. If a parent wants to turn public posts or even Miiverse off altogether and then password lock it as an additional measure, that option should be available to them. There should be a wide variety of privacy options with different levels of security. Maybe they won't bother and still bitch about it. "Ugh, I don't like to raise my kids. I don't like talking to them. Things should just happen without me having to do anything." The options should still be there nonetheless.

I would fully expect something like that to happen.  I believe that on the Wii, a parent could set controls on browser use, Wii point use, messaging, and news channel individually.  They also allowed a parent to define an ESRB rating ceiling for the Wii that would prevent certain games from being played.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »
You give some 12 year old kids the freedom to draw and be creative and what you end up with are penises.
is your sanity...

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »
I wonder if "after" will be filtered out...
Mission...complete?