Author Topic: Final Wii U Controller to Use Traditional Analog Sticks?  (Read 40771 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Final Wii U Controller to Use Traditional Analog Sticks?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
I don't like the new analog change at all.  *Shrug* I'm in the minority.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem like there's too much space between where the D-Pad is located and the edge of the controller? It's hard to tell how big this tablet is without actually seeing it in person, but based on the image it looks like there's a significant amount of plastic between the D-Pad and where your hand would naturally grip the controller.
Gouge away.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
Yeah, it's wider than the original. I hope they shrink it in the final version.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline SeaNet

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
The (+) and (-) has been side labled Start and Select! WOO HOO! Missed that on the Wii Remote  ;D
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
And yet the controller still looks retarded as Hell...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
I like it.  I like the look with the new curves, and I prefer sticks to pads.  Now, if they can just get two of these to work at once, I will be happy.

Offline SeaNet

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Maybe they will sell an accessory that will let you use use the other stick instead. It could latch onto the side of the controller and maybe even add more trigger buttons. And they could sell it for about $20 or so and make some money off the thing :)
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
The Twitter post has been removed.

Looks like someone got fired and possibly is getting sued...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
I like it.  I like the look with the new curves, and I prefer sticks to pads.  Now, if they can just get two of these to work at once, I will be happy.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=16688.msg733892#msg733892

and apparently there is some documentation from NOE, floating around somewhere, stating that 2 uMotes are possible too.
edit: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=34617.msg734063#new
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:18:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
I tried emulating the control scheme of this controller with the the other controllers, and it felt the same to me. In fact, I think it gave me a better control and better comfort with the analogs being on top than on the bottom. I'm sure that the new placements of the buttons and analogs will not complicate of getting used to.

Beyond the issue of the control layout being contrary to the standard layout that every other console (other than the Wii) uses, I have concerns about the weight distribution of the controller when you're essentially gripping it by the top half of the controller rather than the bottom half.  Plus, when every other handheld (including Nintendo's own) has you looking up to view the embedded screen, it's just weird IMO to suddenly have to look down to see the Wii U tablet screen.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »
I don't like the new analog change at all.  *Shrug* I'm in the minority.

Count me in.  Circle pads are the best directional input I'd ever felt =\

Oh well... analog sticks aren't exactly bad =)

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »
 The analog control change is smart for Nintendo. Is it just me, or are the sides of the controller wider than the prototype? The buttons and D-pad are moved in, but the proximity to the screen looks the same. Maybe the small squares on the left and bottom are part of NFC?

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »
It makes sense to change it. They probably got so much feedback from devs, plus the complaints from E3 2011, I mean they could hardly start off their new "for the core gamers" system by ignoring them from the get go.
Then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about here!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »
having the buttons below the right analog stick is just so counter-intuitive to traditional controller design.

And that's what makes it great.

Just because Sony used the same crappy layout over and over again for 15 years doesn't mean their competitors should stoop to that level. Nintendo keeps innovating their controllers each and every generation, whereas Microsoft and Sony keep regurgitating the same thing over and over again.

I wish there was some colorful buttons, but I am pleased with this layout. If Nintendo made it a carbon copy of the dualshock you would probably be pleased, but I wouldn't be. I hate the dualshock layout.

they could hardly start off their new "for the core gamers" system by ignoring them from the get go.

Sadly, the "Wii U" logo appears on the controller in the image which means there is little chance that Nintendo is going to change the name of the console to anything even remotely "core gamer" friendly. I guess we will be stuck with a crappy console name for another 5+ years, but even though the name may suck the system itself may be cool.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:05:07 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
Just because Sony used the same crappy layout over and over again for 15 years doesn't mean their competitors should stoop to that level.

Sony's been using the same controller layout since the PS1 because Nintendo got it right the second time with the SNES controller (which they've since copied, for the most part, with the two Wii Classic Controllers).  I don't believe in "fixing" or "innovating" what isn't broken, especially since this is supposed to be designed for more traditional games (and in particular 3rd party games).  Nintendo "innovating" their controller design is what's led to such "glorious" layout/button designs as the N64; GameCube; and Wiimote controllers.  "Innovation" for its own sake doesn't make it "better".  Design standards become standards for good reason: they are proven, reliable, widely-adopted, and popular.

This is why I prefer that Nintendo focus its efforts as a software company: their hardware "innovations" usually don't pan out as well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:05:54 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
GameCube;

I hope you weren't being sarcastic. The Gamecube controller was bar none the best controller I've ever used. Its the most comfortable and user friendly. The grips are adequately large, unlike the dualshock's barely existent nubs. The dualshock's nubs are too tiny for my hands so my bottom two fingers have nothing to grip onto... its like the dualshock was designed for children's hands, and so dare I say it is a kiddie controller? Meanwhile, the Gamecube controller despite being as colorful as it is, is more friendly for adult hands.

The Gamecube controller design failed only because the Gamecube itself failed. It doesn't mean it is inferior to the Dualshock. Consumers generally buy consoles based on the games available for it. They don't base their console purchase on controller preference, so you can't say that the Gamecube controller design was unpopular. The gamecube failed, sure, but the controller had nothing to do with that.

And you say "if its not broke why fix it?". Well, I have to say the Dualshock design IS broke. Its been broke ever since it was introduced in 1997. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. Just because they kept using it all this time doesn't mean its the best way to go, it just means they are too lazy or don't care about improving it. At least the Boomerang controller they almost introduced for the PS3 would have got the grip problem right. Too bad they backed down and took the "safe" road by going with the same crappy design since 1997.

I'm glad Nintendo isn't like that. I'm glad they change things and shake things up. For better or worse, we wouldn't have things like the D-Pad or analog stick if it weren't for Nintendo. You would be saying the Atari Joystick is "tradition" and its "not broke so why fix it?" so by that logic that's what we would still be using today because technically that is "good enough". The D-Pad and Analog stick are far superior, but 30 years ago only the joystick existed. So innovation is a good thing, and both of those were brought to us by Nintendo.

I strongly disagree with your statement that Nintendo should stop innovating with hardware. If you really believe that then you should stop using your dualshock controller, because most of it was a direct rip off of Nintendo's innovation.

If Nintendo's innovations suck so badly why does Sony keep stealing them, and why do they end up becoming industry standards?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:24:22 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:36 AM »
Plus, when every other handheld (including Nintendo's own) has you looking up to view the embedded screen, it's just weird IMO to suddenly have to look down to see the Wii U tablet screen.

The original Game Boy Advance had a very similar layout to the Wii U controller, as did the Game Boy Micro (which was a complete flop). So this isn't uncharted territory for Nintendo.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 04:20:17 AM »

If Nintendo's innovations suck so badly why does Sony keep stealing them, and why do they end up becoming industry standards?

To give credit to Sony, they did create the dual analog setup that is now used in every modern controller, including the GameCube, Wii Classic Controller, Xbox, Xbox 360, and now the Wii U controller.

Sony created the standard by which all modern controllers are judged, dual analog controls. And I despise them for it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »

To give credit to Sony, they did create the dual analog setup that is now used in every modern controller, including the GameCube, Wii Classic Controller, Xbox, Xbox 360, and now the Wii U controller.

Sony created the standard by which all modern controllers are judged, dual analog controls. And I despise them for it.

Gotta give Sony credit for taking Nintendo's idea and doubling it....

Nintendo makes the SNES controller, it has 2 shoulder button.
Sony takes the SNES controller, adds handles, breaks the d-pad, and doubles the shoulder buttons. *applaud* Good job Sony.

Nintendo makes the analog thumstick and adds a rumble pack
Sony adds 2 of them (2 analog thumbsticks and 2 rumble motors) to Nintendo's SNES controller the controller we now call dual shock. *applaud* Good job Sony.

Nintendo creates the wiimote with a nunchuck for disjointed motion controller play
first Sony throws in a gyro to their dual shock... realizes that isn't gonna cut it, and then....
Sony creates Move..... totally not inspired by the wiimote and the nunchuch at all..... *applaud* Good job Sony

How does Sony do it? One of life's greatest mysteries.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:36:06 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 04:32:35 AM »

I guess so... but its pretty lame that their most remarkable innovation is taking something someone else invented and then doubling it.

That would be like if after Gutenberg invented the printing press someone came along and stole his idea and made a dual printing press, and then that person's fanboys go on about what an awesome innovation that is, even though the real achievement was done by Gutenberg. The other person basically just stole it and made a simple modification, maybe also replacing the letters with squares and circles and triangles.
is your sanity...

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »

Gotta give Sony credit for taking Nintendo's idea and doubling it....

Nintendo makes the SNES controller, it has 2 shoulder button.
Sony takes the SNES controller, adds handles, breaks the d-pad, and doubles the shoulder buttons. *applaud* Good job Sony.

Nintendo makes the analog thumstick and adds a rumble pack
Sony adds 2 of them (2 analog thumbsticks and 2 rumble motors) to Nintendo's SNES controller the controller we now call dual shock. *applaud* Good job Sony.

Nintendo creates the wiimote with a nunchuck for disjointed motion controller play
first Sony throws in a gyro to their dual shock... realizes that isn't gonna cut it, and then....
Sony creates Move..... totally not inspired by the wiimote and the nunchuch at all..... *applaud* Good job Sony

How does Sony do it? One of life's greatest mysteries.

Then Nintendo copied Sony's DualShock when they made the GameCube and Wii Classic Controller. They also copied the PSP's analog nub when they made the 3DS. Nintendo can copy too, you know.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 04:37:00 AM »
Then Nintendo copied Sony's DualShock when they made the GameCube and Wii Classic Controller. They also copied the PSP's analog nub when they made the 3DS. Nintendo can copy too, you know.

It isn't theft when you are taking back something someone stole from you in the first place.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »
I've never used a PSP's analog nub, but for what I've heard, the 3DS' Analog Slider and the PSP's Analog nubs are nothing alike.

But the Classic Controller Pro is a direct rip of the Dual Shock which is an evolved copy of the SNES controller, so I think they are even there.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 04:40:52 AM »

It isn't theft when you are taking back something someone stole from you in the first place.

Sony created the PSP's analog nub all on their own. :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »

Sony created the PSP's analog nub all on their own. :)

I hear they sucked. Maybe they should use the 3DS's sliders next time ;)

How are Vita's analog nubs?