Author Topic: Virtual Console Details Exposed  (Read 12986 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Virtual Console Details Exposed
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »
Nintendo explains what limitations have been imposed in regards to controllers, regions, and purchases.

CVG had a brief interview with Nintendo to get some specifics on Virtual Console capabilities and limitations.  Nintendo solidified several earlier comments while passing on a few new details.    

Virtual Console games are downloadable to the 512MB of internal Wii storage as well as to SD cards and include a digital instruction manual.  The console stores a history of all games downloaded and will allow games to be redownloaded if they are lost.  However, downloaded games are tied to the console in which they were downloaded on and cannot be played on another console.  In the unfortunate case that the system breaks, Nintendo will offer support to recover lost downloaded games.      

Games on the Virtual Console can be played with the classic controller as well as GameCube controllers.  The Wii remote can also be used to play NES Virtual Console games.  However, the classic controller is not compatible with GameCube games; only GameCube controllers will work while the system is in GameCube mode.  In Virtual Console mode, Wii controllers take priority over any plugged in GameCube controllers.    

Games available for download for Virtual Console is based on the region of the system.  For example, a US console, no matter where it is physically located in the world, can only access the US catalog.  This means that an imported Wii could access the Virtual Console games from the region it was imported from, though Nintendo stresses that this would void the warranty.    

Initially, only 2,000-point Wii Points cards will be offered for sale.  Wii Points can also be purchased with a credit card via the Wii Shop.  Each Wii account can hold up to 10,000 points at a time.

Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Virtual Console Details Exposed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 11:05:40 AM »
I really hope a future policy/firmware change allows games from all regions. Really, they are only hurting themselves with that. Every Virtual Console sale is almost all profit for Nintendo. Also, games on SD cards should be playable on any console, but only copied to/from the console you bought it with. That way, a person could bring their Virtual Console games to a friend's house (just like they could in the old days) and play it with them.

Everything else sounds pretty good.
Thanks for listening.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Virtual Console Details Exposed
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 11:09:15 AM »
I agree with the whole sd card point above, but on the other side.... the Wii is small enough to travel with.
But it would be much much more convienent, practicle and safe to just travel with a small SD card in your pocket.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:23:13 AM »
Whatever happened to the USB storage alternatives?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:26:25 AM »
As horrible as it is that we can't get VC games from other regions, I can't figure out how it would work legally.  Games often have different publishers in different regions. So if Marvelous is offering Harvest Moon for SNES in Japan, Natsume isn't getting that money if US players download the Japanese version.  It's a mess, and I think that eventually all sectors of the entertainment business are going to have to shed the regional mentality because the Internet has made it easy for customers to know what's out there in other parts of the world.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline aagushi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 11:35:31 AM »
Does that mean Australia won't be getting Chrono Trigger AGAIN? Even on VC?

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
As horrible as it is that we can't get VC games from other regions, I can't figure out how it would work legally.  Games often have different publishers in different regions. So if Marvelous is offering Harvest Moon for SNES in Japan, Natsume isn't getting that money if US players download the Japanese version.

I can see conflicts between different publishers, but I would think that the legal rights of each publisher would have been spelled out clearly when the game was initially released. True, Natsume would not be getting money for downloads of the Japanese Harvest Moon, but why should they? They never published the Japanese version of the game, so why should they profit from it now? Unless there are conflicting contracts between the developer and regional publishers, I can't see a problem.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 12:02:46 PM »

Does that mean Australia won't be getting Chrono Trigger AGAIN? Even on VC?

Not necessarily.  It's completely up to the publisher.  If Square-Enix wants to put it out there, they will.  Or if they simply want to sign the publishing rights over to Nintendo, they could do that too.  Unreleased games aren't nearly as complicated as games with different publishers across regions.

In any case it reveals how silly the whole ordeal is.  There is ONE Internet, and they're telling people that they can't download content that's in English because it hasn't been released for Australia yet?  Excuse me.  Some import shop is going to figure out a mod and it will either beat the system or Nintendo will end up in some stupid war, cutting off access to modded systems.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 12:26:13 PM »
I am bothered in that your games are linked to your system, with the 360 they are linked to your account so you can download them on multiple systems. It is kind of dissapointing that my Wii system could die on me and I'd lose all my VC games (that seems to be a tedious process to give it to Nintendo).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
I am bothered in that your games are linked to your system, with the 360 they are linked to your account so you can download them on multiple systems. It is kind of dissapointing that my Wii system could die on me and I'd lose all my VC games (that seems to be a tedious process to give it to Nintendo).

They said they'd work with anyone who had that happen so they wouldn't lose their games. It's in the interview.

I'm more concerned that every game you download will be a different channel. I want all my VC stuff in one channel, or at least one per system.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »
It's been stated many times that you can organize your VC games any way you want (Genre, System, etc...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
I guarantee the linked to a console thing will be blown out of proportion.  You know how the DS Online games are linked to your DS?  Yeah, it's a major pain in the ass to transfer the settings huh?  Relaxe.  I'm sure Nintendo just found that it was a really easy way of doing security.  They won't screw anyone over if either a system breaks or someone just buys a new color or something.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »
So wait, you can just use the Gamecube controllers on virtual console games? Pft, so much for getting those "Classic Controllers" than... I can sure say my wallet is happy about it, while my setup will be far less clutered with just GCN and Wiimotes around as opposed to all three.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 03:05:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
So wait, you can just use the Gamecube controllers on virtual console games? Pft, so much for getting those "Classic Controllers" than... I can sure say my wallet is happy about it, while my setup will be far less clutered with just GCN and Wiimotes around as opposed to all three.

I know I will be getting the classic controller, not only because I like the looks of it, but because there could be some games in the future that utilize it for wii.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »
DBZ: BT2 and SSBB both use GameCube controllers, that's all I care about.

I really hope hackers quickly find a way around the VC region locking. The 2006 release schedule for NA sucks compared to Japan, and I don't understand why NA is the only region not getting Donkey Kong Country on the VC this year.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 04:59:06 PM »
Screw the classic controller, it looks like a dual shock which is so damn uncomfortable it's ridiculous. I hope they do a redesign that is like the 360 controller. As far as standard controllers go, the 360 controller is by far the best (which is just a modified Gamecube controller anyway).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »
Wouldn't there also be an issue with ESRB ratings for out-of-region games?

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 05:20:33 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
...but because there could be some games in the future that utilize it for wii.

Well personally speaking, when they release a game I want that doesn't use the Gamecube controller or the Wiimote, then I will consider it. I won't buy them simply on the basis that they "could" do something interesting with them in the future.

I really am happy, though, that Nintendo is letting us use the Gamecube controllers, as now I can already play four player VC games without having to shell out anymore money. On the other hand, I really can't understand why they won't let the "Classic Controllers" play Gamecube games... unless they would prefer us to use the GCN ones.

Originally posted by: Guitar Smasher
Wouldn't there also be an issue with ESRB ratings for out-of-region games?

Glad someone brought that up, as Sega had to resubmit all of their games to the ESRB before being placed on the VC list... so I'm sure that slows the entire process down for the US.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok I really can't understand why they won't let the "Classic Controllers" play Gamecube games... unless they would prefer us to use the GCN ones.

Because the Wii doesn't know it isn't a GC when it's emulating a GC.

There's basically a GC built into the top of the Wii. Funny how it didn't cost Nintendo that much while Sony needed the PS3 to have a PS2 built in...

They'd need to reprogram the GC hardware to utilize the bluetooth interface that both the classic controller and the Wiimote use.

When it's running in GC mode, something tells me that it is, for all intents and purposes, a GC, minus the GBA Player and the network adapter.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 05:27:37 PM »
Technically companies don't HAVE to submit their games to the ESRB, but I don't think Nintendo would let unrated games on their systems and I don't think most stores would sell unrated games.

Why this is I don't know since stores are willing to sell unrated movies. Then again, these are the same stores that will sell R rated movies to a 10 year old but not a M rated game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 06:07:20 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Because the Wii doesn't know it isn't a GC when it's emulating a GC.

When it's running in GC mode, something tells me that it is, for all intents and purposes, a GC, minus the GBA Player and the network adapter.

Makes sense to me, actually. Not ideal of course, but that's a very logical reason why there is no "Classic Controller" support for the Gamecube games.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »
Bah...I called these restrictions a month ago. There needs to be some more leeway here, a way to authorize games on multiple consoles ala iTunes really should have been considered. As there's no way to remix closed-source code, there's no reason for the games to have a more liberal license (like CC for example), but damn it, I should be able to play these games on any system I want, just like the old days. Tying it to an online account would have be the perfect solution.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 06:35:16 PM »
I'm guessing the reason Nintendo is restricting the sharing of VC games is because they want to prevent people from buying the game, then giving it to everyone they know, allowing them to just own the game instead of buying it. And when people don't buy it, Nintendo gets no moolah...

I agree with the restriction of sharing, but not being able to play it on any Wii system? What if I downloaded a cool N64 game, my system dies down and I want to play it on my friend's Wii. I can't do it?

I'm sure someone will find a way around it. or at least Nintendo will probably realize that people don't like this and change it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 06:37:25 PM »
Them classic controllers might be good to have around for a decent D-pad and a traditional face button layout for older games.
GOREGASM!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »
I think the one console thing makes a lot of sense. Since games can be transfered to a SD card, and if its not made so it is exclusive to the console. A person could just put it up on the net and offer it for free or a charge. So making it exclusive to the console is a pretty good idea.

On a funny note. When I went to E3 and talked to Nintendo about me publishing for the virtual console. (i.e. making games and either doing it myself as a channel, or going through them. This is one of the things I brought up since at GDC I talked to a security expert about this very technology. Which the rep I was talking with seemed very interested in. I doubt this is the reason Nintendo is using since anything NOA plans to do they first have to send it to NCL for a approval. I'm currently getting a profilio together to send to the person at NOA and hopefully it will get sent to NCL.  

A reason for making things regoinal is for polling purposes, it makes book work a lot easier on the respective division to say how many games are being bought and where, what type, so the correct games get released for the area.

Technically companies don't HAVE to submit their games to the ESRB, but I don't think Nintendo would let unrated games on their systems and I don't think most stores would sell unrated games.

Yeah technically they don't have, but if they want to be recognized by the industry in the United States they need to submit them. And the older games shouldn't pose any problems for rating, since they are already existing product, most of them fall under what is know as a Grandfather Clause. Since no rating system was enacted back when they were made as long as nothing is being added there is no need to submit them. (A grandfather clause is used in government when a policy is changed. For example if Social Security is scrap those that are on it will still get their checks but no one else will be added to program after it is enacted unless there is a clause saying such.

My french teacher in High School came to the US after WWII from France, and during that time it wasn't against the law to have citizenship to two different countries.  So she was a citizen of France and the US. But in the 1980's they changed that law but she was allow to keep the two citizenship under the Grandfather clause. As long as she doesn't change her perminate address.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.