Author Topic: Wind Waker is the best game ever  (Read 15032 times)

Offline bladez0r

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wind Waker is the best game ever
« on: April 04, 2003, 02:38:36 PM »
Having just beaten it, I would like to give any praise possible to the makers. Great storyline, gameplay, sound, and graphics. I'm not here to spark a best game ever debate, it is just my opinion that this is the best game ever, and yes I've played Ocarina of Time which has now been demoted to 2nd best game ever. Thanks again to the makers!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 02:44:26 PM »
Thank you Captain Obvious.

And you're right, it IS the best game ever

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 03:15:03 PM »
I bet if you wait a few months and have the game really sink in you're opinions will change. Of course that may not be the case, but didn't you find the game a little too easy and short? I mean I don't want to come off as being rude or anything, but this game is NOT the BEST game of all time. It's not even better than OOT. That is my opinion though and I will admit it was good while it lasted , but it was no where near OOT. Again, you're opinion is fine and I don't mean to ridicule it I just thought the game was way too short and easy to even be the best Zelda game of all time.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 03:19:20 PM »
SPOILERS!

In my opinion, it's at least as good as OoT is. I do think time for feelings to set in is needed, but when I feel so passionate about a game when I beat it, my opinions usually don't change. Wind Waker may have been on the easy side, short it was not (not if you play all the sidequests!), but most of all it was so moving- no moment in a videogame can compare when I stepped into Hyrule for the first time, with everything in black and white, monsters frozen in place, the vast stretching country, the temple devoted to Link, all so much better when it all returned to color. I had tears welling up in my eyes then. That alone propelled it to the heights of OoT for me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 03:46:01 PM »
I dont think it was anywhere near as good as OoT. OoT was epic, I found WW to be dull and very spoon fed.
Even though I am not a huge fan of it I found Metroid to be a much better game, same goes for ED, and as odd it may seem Wave Race (the best racing game on any console).
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 03:56:31 PM »
You want to complain about being spoon fed and easy, and then you go and list Eternal Darkness as being anything but...

I agree that Wind Waker is definitely a very good game, one of the best. It doesn't quite stack up, but Ocarina of Time definitely doesn't either. I do think Wind Waker does some of the more important things (for me) better than OoT, but I guess neither stacks up to the accomplishments of a Link to the Past.

I don't know if there's been a modern game that accomplishes many of the important qualities that a game must have. OoT had a very solid design and very poor feel for the series (lacked quality music). Wind Waker is superior in that aspect for feel, but came up short in some important gameplay areas. If they would have done the damage reduction better it wouldn't glare so much to some people.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 04:15:02 PM »
why was Oot so much better.  I beat it, the bonus disc, right before WW.  I did a;; the side quessts and stuff.  It was great, but WW has more to it.  There is motivation in WW that OoT just has none of.  It was a dungeon hopper, thats it.  The story was epic in
oot, but devoid of character development.  Link is like a puppet for crying out loud.  WW has character everywhere you look.  Every person in the game seems to have a story behind them.  And they even change sometimes in the game.  Look at the rich-poor girl on Windfall.  Link is a PERSON this time.  He laughs, becomes angry gets frustrated, shows pain.  Now WW is epic, I mean come pn, the story has so much to it, not in a complicated sense, but an enjoable one.  You can feel the impact of the game all over.  And link has family!!!!  He is compasionate.  He really feels like a hero.  Like if you weren't controlling him, he would still save the day on his own.  OoT's Link had no personality as to judge that on, we all believe he would save the day because he is link, but there really is little other reason.  People complained about how you just "get" items in WW.  Well i think it makes a million times more sense.  No more conviently placed chest, now we find things for a reason.  
And nothing makes me more mad then hearing it is short.  There is so much to do.  Saying his game is short is like saying Animal Crossing is to short.  There is almost no limit to the fun you can have.  The fighting system alone makes me wanna keep battling those moblins and the iron clad guys.  And if you think it is short, then you obviously havent hit ORCA on offset 1000 times, or solved all the puzzles on the private isle or even been to every island and found all its secrets.  Maybe OoT TAKES longer to beat, but WW makes it seem more relaxing and fun.  No more rushing here to there or listen to NAvi.  
Wind Waker is the best Zelda to date, if you realize it or not.  OoT just feels like another game in comparison.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Moonwatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2003, 05:27:13 PM »
Maybe you should replace the words "Best game ever" with My favorite game.
Not only is this more accurate(it is impossible to objectively judge a game "best ever") but less likely to result in a bunch of whiners telling you why you're wrong.
"Anything that, in happening, cuases itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Offline Modulus-X

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2003, 05:51:58 PM »
The GBA/GC linkup is very very fun, my friend and I are using it right now!
-=[Modulus-X]=-

Currently Playing: Zelda: The Wind Waker, WarCraft 3 Expansion Beta, Star Wars Galaxies Beta

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2003, 06:08:12 PM »
i believe you would have to be a fool not to realize that BEST GAME EVER and BEST IN MY OPINION mean the same thing in this kind of place.  It is just the first has more discusion potential behind it and forces the opponents to make better arguments.  Of course it means in their own opinions, we all passed middle school.  Like when someone says i am not getting in no car.  It really means that person will get in any car, but we know what they are really saying.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2003, 06:09:30 PM »
BTW it isn't whining, they are all valid arguments and deserve recognition, its a debate man, just go with it.
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2003, 07:22:14 PM »
there are a few plus and minuses in both games. OOT is more epic, Waker has a more detailed story.....there is more....but im not goign to go into detail.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2003, 02:18:51 AM »
BTW to me it seems that WW is definetely bigger than OOT.
And all those reviews complain about the fact theres only 4 dungeons, but I count more?
LZ 2005

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2003, 02:36:02 AM »
"You want to complain about being spoon fed and easy, and then you go and list Eternal Darkness as being anything but...

I agree that Wind Waker is definitely a very good game, one of the best. It doesn't quite stack up, but Ocarina of Time definitely doesn't either. I do think Wind Waker does some of the more important things (for me) better than OoT, but I guess neither stacks up to the accomplishments of a Link to the Past.

I don't know if there's been a modern game that accomplishes many of the important qualities that a game must have. OoT had a very solid design and very poor feel for the series (lacked quality music). Wind Waker is superior in that aspect for feel, but came up short in some important gameplay areas. If they would have done the damage reduction better it wouldn't glare so much to some people. "

Are you drunk? OOT had the best music and was by far much better then LTTP and WWPlus the oot sonds werent retarded (the ones you played) like the ones in ww, with that lame ass baton.
"Just a little gift from your friendly nieghborhood evil doer." - Me.

~ If you like serious, good quality Zelda rpgs, AIM HeroPiccolo and I'll give you a link. ~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2003, 06:02:37 AM »
I'm still waiting for this accursed game, but I strongly feel that I will like it more than OoT, and I loved that game.  Strangely, I don't consider the zelda series the kind of games that compel me to beat them quickly. . . some of you have beat it within a week, but I imagine I'll be getting around to that in two or three months. . . I take my time with Zelda games.

Nor do I think it necessarily needs to be epic.  Sure, all Zelda games are, but Link is sort of a forgotten hero, and he tends to disappear and stuff after the games.  He just moves on, and. . . I dunno, I'm babbling.  Anyway, I'm waiting to give my input on what I think will be a great game.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2003, 06:04:38 AM »
personally, Oot did not have the proper feel and to me was some what of a disappointment.  Perhaps my expectations were too high and don't get me wrong it is a good game, but WW had a better feel (with some gameplay flaws).

if i was to rank, alttp would be my all time favourite,  followed by WW, Oot and then the original Zelda and LA
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2003, 06:23:05 AM »

The Resident Evil said:
Are you drunk? OOT had the best music and was by far much better then LTTP and WWPlus the oot sonds werent retarded (the ones you played) like the ones in ww, with that lame ass baton.

Just the last few words of your comment tell me you're not being very subjective. And yes, so what if I'm drunk?

A Link to the Past had a way better sound track. I don't know how many people will agree with me, but LttP had the music down. The boss battle music will forever be the music people really hear in their minds when they face a dungeon boss. The music that played when Ganon speaks is also another prime example of where LttP's sound track was better.

Honestly, there's not a whole lot of songs I recall from OoT (or even care to recall). Some of the Ocarina songs are pretty cool, though. You're right, those are better than the ones played with Wind Waker's baton.

I don't have to be drunk to think LttP or Wind Waker is better than OoT. I'm not the only one who feels OoT was lacking. Some people like Majora's Mask more than OoT. Some like Wind Waker more. I know I'm not the only one who prefers LttP over OoT. For me, there was not enough of Hyrule in OoT's world. It felt pretty lifeless. In Hyrule field, the only time I ever felt like I wasn't alone was when I was around monsters (typically at night) or around that running man for a split second. The rest of the time I was just hurridly running to get to a destination before it was dark. Basically, the only places to go were Hyrule Castle and town (becomes less existent as the game wears on), Karakiro village (and Death Mountain aka dungeon place), Zora's cavern (another dungeon), Lake Hylia (dungeon dungeon...), Gerudu valley (more dungeon...), and the farm. In Wind Waker or LttP, if I wanted do something other than dungeon, I'd go exploring people and places. In OoT, I have a huge feeling I've already been everywhere except for the rest of the dungeons. I've talked to a bunch of people, ran across Hyrule field more times than I care to, and am now seeing what non-OoT fans have been talking about. There weren't enough NPC's, side quests, and, for me, the color scheme is off, the music is not as impressive, and I just don't like OoT's Hyrule and story as much.

Now, some good things about OoT: The challenge of playing it. It has the difficulty right. I like the water effects. I like the side-games (fishing, bomb-chu). I like what side-exploration there is (the graveyard is an unforgettable experience for me because I went there early in the game and was wow'd by the overall presentation of OoT). Most of what OoT introduces in gaming concepts is revolutionary to the series. It did a lot of things right in gameplay department, which is why I think some Zelda gamers were happy with it. Great gameplay and enough dungeons. Sadly, for the rest of us who are accustomed to more map than dungeon, OoT presented us with more stress and reminders that 4/9th's of the game is still waiting for us to move on (stupid Navi and that damned cloud over Death Mountain).

Overall, LttP had the music,  color scheme, awesome boss fights, and great story. It wasn't a more in-depth story than OoT, but it told it the way I want to hear it. OoT is the unfortunate fat kid that just brings more to the table than I wanted. I don't like a lot of what OoT does. Because of how it attempts to be "something new" and "innovative" I feel it left behind the feel of what a Zelda game was. Wind Waker happens to bring back that feeling somewhat (somehow...).  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2003, 06:28:51 AM »
Well put.  While I wouldn't be so harsh on OoT (I liked it), I see what you mean.  I'm getting more and more excited about WW. . . hope I get it today.

I like lttp. . . I have it on an emulator (gasp), but I'm currently stuck and haven't been playing much.  Link's Awakening is also a very, very good game, with an awesome plot and great ending.  Music was pretty good for it, too.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2003, 10:42:58 AM »
Wow I just beat the game a few hours ago and I have to say I'm very dissappointed.

[ MAJOR SPOILERS ]

Ganondorf was WAY too easy except for the fact I didn't realize you had to L-taget him when Zelda was shooting arrows at you to "officially" hit him until I had gone through 2 faires, 2 swigs of Grandma's soup, and was down to 4 hearts. If I would go back and do it again knowing what I had to do it would probably only take a couple minutes to beat. Anyway, after beating him I thought I was going to be treated to a great little movie. That was equally dissappointing. You talk to the king, the water falls, the king dies, you float to the top of the ocean in you're little bubble and then the credits roll (which in itself was very boring). So then I'm thinking, "ok this is it?" Then it cuts into another movie and I'm thinking, "Oh, this is the 'real' movie" when in reality it's pretty much the same good-bye seen as the beginning.

[ END SPOILERS ]

This game just didn't cut it for me. In fact, I truly believe Majora's Mask was better than this. After I beat OOT the first time I wanted to go back and do it again and I did about 3 times. Wind Waker just doesn't do that for me. I'm sorry, but it's too easy, it's too short and there's just no interaction. I bet I won't remember anyone's name a month from now. I'd rather have 5 straight dungeons with little in between than 2 dungeons with a lot of sailing around for pieces of the triforce afterwards. IMO, this game is much like Super Mario Sunshine. Both were good games, but were no where near their two predeccessors on the N64. Maybe SMS was a little better than Paper Mario, but you get the point.  

Offline DiggleD44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2003, 01:55:05 PM »
Kool. This is my second favorite game ever ( at the moment ). I still beleive that the Ocarina of time is the best game of all, though. No matter what, Zelda's my fave series of all time. (for sure)
MetallicA rules all.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2003, 02:06:19 PM »
ww is not short...best game of all time is debatable, but it is not short....at this point i think it may be the best game of all time. the game is just so fun it makes me cuss.....i cant put into words how great this game is......at least to me. i mean everyone does have different tastes, and i understand that...but to me wind waker is a great game.....at least better then anything i have played....wait and short compared to what.....most games arent that long....how long did it take u to beat the game?? i have to be pushing 30 hours at the least right now....does it tell u how long ur game time was at the end of the game? well anyways, i am trying to do all the side quests as well, so its not as short as it would be if u just did what u needed to do...i have speant a couple hours alone trying to get 500 hits on the old dude on the island.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2003, 02:34:09 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing about some of GoHusker's comments.

GoHusker, exactly what are you talking about when you say interaction? I'm experiencing basically the exact opposite where Ocarina of Time lacked an interactive world and Wind Waker seems so deep and vast. I'm not quite sure how you could get through the game without a lot of interaction with the Rito people (you have to interact with them on more than one occasion to progress through the game). There are also the pirates who comprise a large part of the story. I'm pretty sure you won't forget one of their names. There's a lot more people to work with in Wind Waker and I'm not even covering any side quests. The side quests open up a lot of other missions that involve dealing with people.

Maybe the interaction isn't what you are feeling is lacking. The ease of the game and fewer dungeons are the apparent problem. To me, the game plays the exact same as OoT but is a different experience since no damage is done (although one of those knuckle knights almost killed me because I was toying around with him instead of trying to finish him off as quickly as possible).

If any of you are looking for a real good fight that puts Ocarina of Time to shame times ten, go to Outset Island and find the big black pig...

You get into a fight with that thing and you'll be quickly reminded of just how weak and pathetic you are.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2003, 04:38:03 PM »
i must agree that this is the best game i have ever played...Zelda series, Mario series, everything...the only cons for me were *spoilers*

-slightly tedious going over the vast ocean before getting the transportation spell
-the ganon fight was pretty easy, but i thought it was much more epic than that of OoT...i guess i just like fighting a ganon using dual swords than shooting magic at me ....and man, where Link got him is pretty gruesome for a "E" game dontcha think?

also, i dont know about you guys, but i think the end of the game hints at a direct sequal(a la OoT/MM)...one WITHOUT Ganondorf...I believe Ganon will not be resurrected when Ninty's new console comes out
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2003, 05:45:35 PM »
I am loving WW to death, for me its the best game of all time. Like most people my main complaint  is the difficulty, but I am having SOOOO much fun doing the things I am doing it over shadows everything.  I was hoping at least 3 of the dungeons would have me thinking for days at a time like OoT or LA. And I wish there were dolphins in the ocean.  Other than that it is pure gold.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline KrazyJ1098

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2003, 08:29:57 PM »
hmm, metroid prime and super metroid owns the zelda series. zelda is good, dont get me wrong, but metroid owns it and walks all over it 10 times over. of course, im a big metroid fan.
"like a rock, like a planet,
like a f***ing atom bomb!!
i remain unpreterbed by the joy and the madness that i encounter every where i turn,
i've seen it all along
in books and magazines,
like a twitch before dying,
like a pornographic sea.
theres a flower behind the window,