Author Topic: The 2015 E3 Wii U games recap thread! (Release Dates Announced)  (Read 25555 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
The way they handled this E3 this year was not so good, particularly compared to how Sony and MS performed. But oh well, I don't personally care, as the overall release schedule is looking pretty good to me.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I'm so thrilled I can finally relate to Ian Sane.

In all seriousness, I wanted a few simple things- a release date for Xenoblade, the rumored Paper Mario Wii U, a decent premeire or two, and the feeling that I would be set for the rest of the year. And I really felt dissatisfied by this even with low expectations. Federation Force barely looks like a Metroid game, so you don't have to call it that. Triforce Heroes looks inventive but I have to rely on an online community to get my full enjoyment. Mario and Luigi is NOT a proper Paper Mario, who seems to be playing a supporting role and that's just annoying as a longtime fan. Xenoblade is... so... far... away.

I mean, where were Devil's Third and Fatal Frame, two games that are outside of Nintendo's usu comfort some of color and cuteness? Why did we get another unbearably long talk about Wooly World? They might as well have talked about Splatoon's updates, or even bundled in the Smash announcements to save this one.

I mean, I think Federation Force and Triforce Heroes are both neat ideas and novel, but they aren't what I needed from my systems this year. I'll be sticking with indie and Kickstarted games this holiday season, at least outside of Mario Maker (which seems fun but I'm struggling to justify a purchase) and Xenoblade. I was hoping for something new that would appeal to ME. Maybe that sounds selfish, but I seem to be in the majority of people who feel the same way. But I have been vocal about not giving two shits about Star Fox and this year'a showing certainly didn't sway me on the new entry.

Also, **** Yokai Watch.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:50:05 PM by Evan_B »
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
The reaction of the Metroid fans in the crowd means I'll be preordering Federation Force in the morning, since it'll be the first good Metroid game since... hang on...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
The reaction of the Metroid fans in the crowd means I'll be preordering Federation Force in the morning, since it'll be the first good Metroid game since... hang on...

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
In all fairness, Metroid Prime: Federation Force doesn't look bad. Nintendo just hasn't really sold me on this needing the Metroid name for any reason but marketing. It's such an odd choice too because the last Prime game came out in 2007 (not counting Trilogy) so I don't know how much it benefits from using the Prime name. I suppose any marketing strength is better than starting from scratch, but it also locks the developer into adhering to the series. Then again, the super deformed art style doesn't adhere to Metroid Prime's aesthetic so it's like the developer decided "**** it" and did what it wanted anyway. All in all, I don't really get why this is a Metroid game. Setting this in the Prime universe would have made more sense if this game was announced alongside a proper Prime 4. I probably would have been more receptive if Federation Force was a new IP because my first thought was "Why is this a Metroid game?"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Federation Force looks terrible. It could be fun, but why did they have to make a Metroid game for babies? It's hard to believe that a first party (or whatever Retro is) is putting out a game like that, when Capcom makes stuff like Resident Evil Revelaitons.

That trailer has more than 10:1 negative votes on YouTube.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:01:35 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
The art style is awful, but the game looks fun. If Nintendo didn't slap the Metroid name on it, I think people would be more accepting of the game. The trailer on Nintendo's YouTube channel is getting downvoted for being a fake Metroid game. The first Metroid branded game in nearly five years and Nintendo thinks people don't want to see Samus in a solo exploration adventure? How does anyone come to that conclusion?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Project STEAM: Federation Force

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Yeah, I dunno.  I was excited about some stuff, but I was always waiting on that one big thing to really get me hyped.

Oh well.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Federation Force looks terrible. It could be fun, but why did they have to make a Metroid game for babies? It's hard to believe that a first party (or whatever Retro is) is putting out a game like that, when Capcom makes stuff like Resident Evil Revelaitons.

That trailer has more than 10:1 negative votes on YouTube.

Yeah.... it's Next Level Games making this. Good job keeping up with something very important like the negative vote to positive vote ratio and not who is actually developing the damn thing. It's not like it's even hard info to find.

And seeing how Metroid and Nintendo fans are acting today (pathetic and embarrassing as usual)... I would say it's made for them. For babies. You're absolutely right.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
I don't like seeing Devil's Third and Fatal Frame 5 getting buried, especially in Devil's Third case since Nintendo Co. Ltd. bought the damn thing. It's frustrating to see Nintendo of America (or perhaps Nintendo Co. Ltd.) not giving time and not believing in games that is out of Nintendo's usual wheelhouse. It doesn't matter if they end up being bad games because they would have given the impression of variety in the Digital Event. Also, we all remember Wii Music.

Anyway, this is a down year in terms of showmanship for Nintendo, but I have enough titles that I'm interested in to not feel too disappointed.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Ok, I'm glad that it's not Retro. Does that even really matter? It's not a Metroid game. That's why people are angry. How are Metroid fans acting pathetic and embarrassing? This game looks embarrassing. It's not made for them. Metroid Fusion was made for them. Metroid Other M was made for them. Like I said - it could be fun, just call it something else, like "My First Titanfall" or something.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Phil, I think you're being a bit harsh. Federation Force is a very different game from traditional Metroid- I don't think it looks bad and I'm actually pretty interested in it- but fans have been hungry for something more traditional since Other M and this is a weird move for them to take. Now, the massive amounts of dislikes on videos and hatred is uncalled for, but being disappointed is not.

Same thing with the Digital Event. It didn't feel cohesive at all, focused too much on things we already knew about, and didn't really bring much exciting to the table. It was a lot of content, but not a lt of memorable or interesting content.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I think Zelda getting delayed and Nintendo deciding not to talk about NX really hurt the excitement of the Digital Event, but I also think it was in Nintendo's best interest long term not to. Talking about whatever NX is (e.g. hardware, OS etc.) would have effectively buried everything else Nintendo showed. Star Fox and Xenoblade Chronicles X are going to have some trouble carrying Wii U this holiday. The shadow of NX and a potentially delayed off Wii U Zelda wouldn't help things. The Digital Event wasn't great (wasn't absolutely terrible either), but Nintendo made the right call by focusing on the short term, what is available soon or relatively soon on both Wii U and 3DS. NX will have its day. This was just not the right time for it. If Nintendo launches a new console next year, loading up on Zelda, Retro's mystery title (probably Metroid), and Mario is a good start, certainly an infinitely better start than Nintendo gave Wii U.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
I think Zelda getting delayed and Nintendo deciding not to talk about NX really hurt the excitement of the Digital Event, but I also think it was in Nintendo's best interest long term not to. Talking about whatever NX is (e.g. hardware, OS etc.) would have effectively buried everything else Nintendo showed. Star Fox and Xenoblade Chronicles X are going to have some trouble carrying Wii U this holiday. The shadow of NX and a potentially delayed off Wii U Zelda wouldn't help things. The Digital Event wasn't great (wasn't absolutely terrible either), but Nintendo made the right call by focusing on the short term, what is available soon or relatively soon on both Wii U and 3DS. NX will have its day. This was just not the right time for it. If Nintendo launches a new console next year, loading up on Zelda, Retro's mystery title (probably Metroid), and Mario is a good start, certainly an infinitely better start than Nintendo gave Wii U.

The thing is, I don't think Nintendo even did a good job of focusing on the short term. They have quite possibly the best 1st party lineup this fall, but you wouldn't know it watching this Direct. Whether it was leaving games out like Fatal Frame or just glossing over others, they failed to drive...really any...point home. It was all scattershot, like Nintendo thought we suffered from ADD.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I had high hopes for the digital event, but as  Wii U owner only, it was a big letdown.  Mario Maker looks awesome but we already knew that.  Yoshi looks cute but we already knew that.  Xenoblade looks impressive but we already knew that.  Star Fox actually looked pretty good to me, the graphics may need some polishing up but it looks like it's going to have what made the N64 version so good.  Other than that, I just didn't get much out of it.  The Animal Crossing board game just looks strange, like Mario Party without the mini games and the requirement of buying a bunch of toys, all they needed to announce was a regular Animal Crossing game and I would have been happy.  Fatal Frame looks intriguing, it's strange to me that they didn't even mention it.  Mario Tennis will be fine I'm sure but it's probably just going to be more of the same.  The entire thing screamed to me that they're moving on to the NX and just didn't want to come out and say it.  At the end, when they were talking about the 30th anniversary of Mario, I was sure they were about to pull out something big, a new 3D Mario for Wii U or something like that.  Instead we got people playing the Mario theme and a website.  Oh well, at least it wasn't Wii Music U that was there big title...

I think the thing I'm most looking forward to hearing about at this point is the recently announced Harvest Moon for Wii U.  Not that I think it'll be better than most of the games Nintendo has focused on but I've seen enough about them already.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Leaving games out was definitely a mistake. Not really sure why Nintendo left out Fatal Frame and Devil's Third, neither of which I'm especially interested in. The Digital Event wasn't as organized as last year. It put up a bunch of trailers largely without context. Nintendo had that one lady talk about the Yoshi's Wooly World Amiibo for what felt like infinity.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
****, how about throwing NIS America a bone and giving Rodea some time on the show? Anything better than this crap sandwich of an event.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
****, how about throwing NIS America a bone and giving Rodea some time on the show? Anything better than this crap sandwich of an event.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Rodea! That's a 3rd party Wii U & 3DS exclusive, something neither platform is in a position to snub at the moment! How the **** was that not even MENTIONED in this Direct?

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
I don't know guys. They do have that 300 seat room rented for I believe Thursday to present... something? Last year was codenamed steam, who knows what's coming there. There have been far too many omissions for me to conclude that the Digital Event is all we get. Trust Me.

I also said Shenmue 3 was coming this e3, I have a gift!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
At this point Nintendo doesn't seem concerned about trying to grow the Wii U's or even the 3DS audience and just wants to slide by while maximizing the profits they can off both systems existing userbases.  Hence why the more niche games weren't even shown since they probably figure they'll just bomb anyway so might as well focus on games that have a chance of actually being successful with the existing fanbase like Mario, Zelda, Yoshi and even Star Fox since the new game is basically the sequel to Star Fox 64 fans has been asking for almost 20 years now.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
But it's a Digital Event. Nintendo could have made that as long as it wanted. The Digital Event clocked in at 51 minutes and 29 seconds. Make it an even hour a show a few more games. Fatal Frame: Maiden of the Black Water, Rodea the Sky Solider, and Devil's Third could use the extra exposure. It costs Nintendo nothing to include some extra trailers. "They'll just bomb anyway so let's pretend they don't exist" is faulty reasoning.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:27:56 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
To me this show had a very E3 2012 vibe, where Nintendo had a decent lineup of games, but did an awful job of showcasing them. That year Wonderful 101 wasn't in the press conference, this year it was Fatal Frame and Devil's Third. That year their biggest demo, Pikmin 3, started things off, with it being all downhill from there, and this year they did the same with Star Fox. The fault this year is more with how they structured the event than what they had to show.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
It costs Nintendo nothing to include some extra trailers. "They'll just bomb anyway so let's not pretend they don't exist" is faulty reasoning.

Not to mention it's indicative of part of the reason 3rd parties left Nintendo to begin with.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Think my biggest disappointment was the lack of any 3rd party game, Nintendo had another year to get some of these multiplatform titles ported over to their system, yet choice not to fund/barter/plea to get any of them?

Platinum Games is making an cel-shaded Transformer game for everything but the WII U?  Call of Duty skipping the WII U again, Plants vs Zombies: Modern Warfare 2 (which uses Frostbite 3 I believe) is a no show?  Nintendo was promising 3rd party support a few months back but the only thing they showed was the Next Skylanders game to have AMIIBO support?  BIG FOOKING DEAL %$**#