Author Topic: The 2015 E3 Wii U games recap thread! (Release Dates Announced)  (Read 25554 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Think my biggest disappointment was the lack of any 3rd party game, Nintendo had another year to get some of these multiplatform titles ported over to their system, yet choice not to fund/barter/plea to get any of them?

That sounds like a sound business decision.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Think my biggest disappointment was the lack of any 3rd party game, Nintendo had another year to get some of these multiplatform titles ported over to their system, yet choice not to fund/barter/plea to get any of them?

That sounds like a sound business decision.

Yeah, it's Nintendo being smart enough to admit that they've lost. Paying for support now doesn't make sense. It's not going to help the Wii U and it'd hurt their position when they're trying to work with third parties in the future.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
I don't know guys. They do have that 300 seat room rented for I believe Thursday to present... something? Last year was codenamed steam, who knows what's coming there. There have been far too many omissions for me to conclude that the Digital Event is all we get. Trust Me.
Do they, really? I thought I heard no developer roundtable a or anything of the sort this year.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
" It's not going to help the Wii U and it'd hurt their position when they're trying to work with third parties in the future."

This isn't something that happened yesterday, this is YEARS in the making.  Nintendo has a freaking Warchest of billion of dollars over the years yet they can't afford to give the the developers a few extra manpower/money to help with development costs? 

Porting a game costs a million or so for an AAA title but a lot of these games can be ported for a lot less. I would just focus on the top 5 sellers like Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fifa, ect. 
-----------------------------------

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Porting a game costs a million or so for an AAA title but a lot of these games can be ported for a lot less. I would just focus on the top 5 sellers like Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fifa, ect. 
-----------------------------------

Right, and Shemnue 3's going to get developed with Kickstarter money alone.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Porting isn't the same as making the game straight out?  Shenmue costed 60+ million and Shenmue 2 was nearing the 100 million mark.

It sounds like Sony's footing the bulk of the cost?  Or course this could end up another Beyond Good and Evil 2, just a teaser with more promises that turn into vaporware years down the road.

-------------

But porting an game shouldn't take to much effort if the framework (engine) is already supported.  For example last year's COD Advance Warfare, the engine already was running at the WII U (COD GHOSTs), so the software complier/toolset is already created.  Sure, it's not going to sell well but even if it sold at a slight loss having the next COD game outweighs all the negativity that comes being the only console without it.
--------------------------------

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
I've got a tale of two reactions here:

Through the presentation, I felt like an inflated balloon that slowly got the air released out of it by the spout being un-pinched, letting out an audible "ppppbbbt" as it slowly deflates. 
  • Starfox looked pretty good from a gameplay standpoint - I expected more visually, but maybe I set the bar too high with Nintendo.  I don't mind the gamepad usage as long as I can still use the tv screen to aim.
  • Skylanders figurine announcements isn't what I hope to see at the e3 presentation - even if I'm a fan of the series
  • Zelda Triforce Heroes was a pleasant surprise to me, considering we weren't going to see the Wii U game at e3.  Hyrule Warriors port doesn't appeal to me because I already have the Wii U game, and WAY too much time showing it.
  • Metroid Prime Federation Force/Blast Ball - I've never gotten into the series, but the internet is raging about this one. 
  • Fire Emblem - another cinematic trailer, i'd be more interested in gameplay, but maybe it's too similar to FE:A to bother?
  • J-POP: The game?
  • Cinematic trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X - probably a day 1.
  • TWO animal crossing games, one for the Wii U, and NEITHER are a traditional animal crossing game....I was really hoping for a fleshed Wii U game with local co-op.
  • Most of Yoshi's Wooly World was talking about the Amiibo.  I look forward to the game though.
  • Yo-Kai Watch - Pokemon meets Digimon?  More battling monsters, really not interested.
  • Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - I haven't been able to get into a paper mario game since the 1000 year door, I have doubts this one will sway me, even if it has a lot of humor.
  • Mario Tennis: never enjoyed the series
  • Ends on a long presentation behind the concepts of Mario in discussing SMM, which is an interesting behind-the-curtain look of how they used graph paper to amend levels and what went into the decison behind making the game.  The problem is they already had a better showing of this game on Sunday night through the NWC.
My wife's reaction?  Unbridled joy.
Didn't care until she saw skylanders, animal crossing, and Yoshi's Wooly World, and that was more than enough to get her excited.  She loves all those things, and also loves Amiibo enabled games, so she's all over every bit of it.  Designing homes is her favorite part of Animal Crossing - Score one for her.  She loves amiibo and is excited to get animal crossing amiibo - score one for her.  The skylanders reveal has all but cinched her decision to get the Wii U version over PS4 - score one for her.  She's chomping at the bit to get yarn yoshi amiibos preordered.

I think Nintendo got their audiences mixed up.  My wife wouldn't bother watching this stuff if it wasn't for me, and I doubt the majority of people watching these want amiibo in their Nintendo presentation.  Part of my problem is that a lot of the announced games just aren't in my range of interest.  Beyond that, we didn't see ANY Major new Nintendo game announcement, the big tentpole games they showed this presentation were all ones they've shown several times before.  Also, the time they spent on amiibo-enabled games for who was watching was inordinate to what people actually wanted to see. 

I know they claimed they wanted to focus on "games you'll be playing in the next year", but you gotta throw at least one or two carrots of what the future holds, otherwise you look anemic.  You have to expect one of two things based on their presentation: either they're holding more announcments for 2016 until a later Nintendo Direct, or they're starting to cinch the hose on games for the current systems to start building towards NX's launch.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:52:51 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I don't know guys. They do have that 300 seat room rented for I believe Thursday to present... something? Last year was codenamed steam, who knows what's coming there. There have been far too many omissions for me to conclude that the Digital Event is all we get. Trust Me.
Do they, really? I thought I heard no developer roundtable a or anything of the sort this year.
Updating on this- the schedule has nothing regarding another discussion.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-books-299-seat-theater-for-e3-2015-3-booths-reserved/

Could be misinformation but I thought this was a given. I also found it on Ign if this website is unreliable.

Edit: This could have been Pre Zelda delay and no longer needed or its this years "One More Thing"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:11:40 AM by Nile Boogie Returns »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Until they show something on their streaming/announcement schedule, I can't believe it.

Even then, the fact that they would book a developer roundtable for Zelda Wii U that early isn't convincing, since they probably new before 215 ended that the game wouldn't be coming this year.

We'll have to hit up the staff to see if that's an actual thing or not.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I don't think the presentation was terrible. It had some nice content, and was pleasant to watch.

It only lacked anything new that interested me. Not a single announcement of something that I didn't already know about and was even vaguely interested in or excited about. It's kind of a disappointment coming out of the big E3 presentation and only being able to say "well, Nintendo are what we thought there were".

But hey, maybe I'm just not the target audience. It seems more and more likely these days.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
The Amiibo audience SHOULD NOT be Nintendo's audience, especially after last year, when they put out such a good show for gamers. Hilariously, Iwata has said they have taken the reaction to heart, but what does that really mean? They'll try to show off better game than what they have already started developing for the next year? Wow, that's reassuring.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Didn't Retro have some teasing Tweet about E3?  Something to do with us digging it?  So what the hell was that all about?

In regards to third party support the Wii U is a lost cause.  The priority should be to repair third party support for next generation.  Now if that requires doing something that does affect the Wii U in the here and now, so be it.  Not outright ignoring some third party releases in the E3 presentation would be a start.  Why is ANY game being left out?  The Wii U has, what, 10 games total due for the remainder of the year?  They might as well show everything.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Updated with Treehouse segments from Day 1 for Super Mario Maker, Star Fox, Skylanders and Smash Bros.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: The average sized 2015 E3 Wii U games recap thread! (Day 2 Edition)
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2015, 06:00:45 PM »
I think that 2015 is looking like the best year for the Wii U.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
I think that 2015 is looking like the best year for the Wii U.

In terms of polished software volume, yeah it's looking pretty damn good, regardless of Nintendo falling on the sword this E3. Unfortunately most of the releases aren't in my wheelhouse. I'm not into competitive shooters, so Splatoon is out. Yoshi's Wooly World looks great, but I have never cared for the Yoshi's Island formula. Nintendo has gone all out on Mario Maker and is clearly very proud of the product, but I have zero interest in content creation games. I had my fill of Mario Tennis on the 64. Xenoblade Chronicles X continues to impress, but I am about this close to getting burnt out on open world games altogether, to the point where I don't know if I can even stomach Arkham Knight after I finish The Witcher 3. I'm only mildly less fatigued with third-person shooters, so Devil's Third has little draw. I do like horror games, so I'll keep an eye on Fatal Frame, but I also find ghosts by far the least interesting horror category.

I'm actually pretty surprised there wasn't a GC remaster announced. It would've been right up the "desperately pad out the Wii U's last 18 months without committing to expensive projects" alley.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »
This might be the best year for Wii U software but when one of those games is Mario Tennis it feels like a hollow victory.

In any case, I'm surprised at the amount of content on 3DS too, seeing how that hardware is reaching the end of its usefulness.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:21:34 PM by Evan_B »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
The source of the room for 299 people is a dude on NeoGAF.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »
After tomorrow I'll have a better grasp on the over all picture as I expect a few new tidbits during Treehouse live but I  have to come back to earth. It's not as bad as I thought. I betrayed my own thoughts expecting a AAA replacement for Zelda (which I think was delayed only because of The Witcher 3, but thats another thread) and not seeing Retro's next title is disheartening but overall the next 12 months of the Wii U will be pretty solid. And it should be considering I believe that "Winter is Coming" and the last days of the Wii U are upon us. Not today mind you but by summer 2016 it will be all but a logo. Not a bad run. Still the best overall library of games but that will change once Halo 5 hits The One and Uncharted hits the 4. I hoped Nintendo doubled down on the Wii U last year and they did. I am a better gamer for it. However (http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/18/e3-2015-why-nintendo-didnt-show-zelda-wii-u)

That is some straight horseshit.

I feel the paragraphs creeping up so I stop here . STAR FOX looks great!

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2015, 12:55:02 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there will be any surprises tomorrow.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2015, 01:06:05 AM »
In any case, I'm surprised at the amount of content on 3DS too, seeing how that hardware is reaching the end of its usefulness.

Honestly, even though I am not interested in some of the games coming out for it in the next year, I'm still glad the system has them. When you look at the complete 3DS library including the games to come out for it next year with the ones already released, the 3DS was a very worthy successor to the DS. It didn't have the third party support like the DS and there may not have been as many original ideas or risks/chances as the DS seemed to create but overall it is easily making a case to join the pantheon of great Nintendo Systems with the more diverse software it has been releasing of late.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »
I betrayed my own thoughts expecting a AAA replacement for Zelda (which I think was delayed only because of The Witcher 3, but thats another thread)]
Okay, I'm curious.

I got the impression that Zelda Wii U was delayed because Nintendo can't release a built-from-the-ground-up console Zelda on time which at this point, sadly, is like not delaying the game. We should expect that when Nintendo announces a timeframe for releasing a new, original console Zelda, it actually means a year or two after that, and it's just lying to itself that it can deliver the game any earlier.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2015, 01:19:15 AM »
Yeah, Zelda is a clear example of Nintendo knowing what they wanted to do with the game and making a trailer based solely on that. They were excited by how excited we would be if we heard the words "open-world". But then they actually had to MAKE the game, too.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2015, 01:23:47 AM »
I betrayed my own thoughts expecting a AAA replacement for Zelda (which I think was delayed only because of The Witcher 3, but thats another thread)]
Okay, I'm curious.

I got the impression that Zelda Wii U was delayed because Nintendo can't release a built-from-the-ground-up console Zelda on time which at this point, sadly, is like not delaying the game. We should expect that when Nintendo announces a timeframe for releasing a new, original console Zelda, it actually means a year or two after that, and it's just lying to itself that it can deliver the game any earlier.

Maybe they ran into the same horse-tech brick wall that the Witcher 3 did, and discovered along with them that good horse-tech is patented by Rockstar, and weren't willing to pay or compromise the vision.

But something must have happened, and I'm thinking more and more that it was a utilitarian business decision. They showed it again when they didn't have to, which is nuts if it was just a stunt. Even if it was cross-gen with the NX, there's no reason not to salvage your presentation with another trailer unless the game hit some major snag developmentally (looking at you, Last Guardian), or if it's being on the NX will make it incorporate a system feature (looking at you, Skyward Sword) that is completely ingrained into the gameplay, and thus make a WiiU version impossible. I don't think anyone is realistically expecting that the NX will so blow away the WiiU spec-wise that a first gen NX game couldn't scale down to the WiiU.

Edit: @Evan_B

Maybe they discovered the terrible secret that open world game design is an unsalvageable contradiction of mini-map dot chasing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:31:23 AM by MagicCow64 »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
Caught up with all the treehouse segments that are now online. Day 2 stuff updated.