Author Topic: Can someone look into the forum code for the Quote Command?  (Read 5100 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
The forum's been a little goofy today when you quote a user.  It tends to either put your post within theirs in a quote, or it posts your reply as a quote in the stack.  Can someone look into that?  It's kind of annoying.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone look into the forum code for the Quote Command?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
It's the quote tag and sometimes it's the bold tag and for some reason there is extra spaces being added when you copy/paste

it happens on the original post, the edit or the modify.
it is very very annoying to have to fix your post 2 to 3 times when you already fixed your post the first time.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
The forum's been a little goofy today when you quote a user.  It tends to either put your post within theirs in a quote, or it posts your reply as a quote in the stack.  Can someone look into that?  It's kind of annoying.

I can honestly say I've never experienced any problems quoting on the forum.

What browser are you using?  Are you using the Quick Reply feature?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »
My guess is because his name basically contains invalid BBCode.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

I can honestly say I've never experienced any problems quoting on the forum

What browser are you using?  Are you using the Quick Reply feature?.

The browser I have here at work is IE 8 (and yes, I know that's far from an idea browser, but it's all that's available here).  And the only feature I've been using that hasn't worked as intended is the big "QUOTE" at the bottom of a given post whe you're just browsing a thread.  In fact, not only have I seen the QUOTE button not working quite right, but if you try and go back and edit the post to fix the nested quoting problem it doesn't update the post.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:40:46 PM by {Insert Name Here} »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »
My guess is because his name basically contains invalid BBCode.

If you could fix that, please do.  It's usually Broodwars, but a moderator (I guess) recently decided to have some fun and change it due to a thread in General Chat.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
Have you ever had this problem before today?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Have you ever had this problem before today?

Not this problem, no.  The problem with copying and pasting that Black mentioned has been going on for quite some time, but the Quoting thing is new to today as far as I can tell.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
Better now?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
Better now?

Let's see.

EDIT:  Looks ok now, with the exception of trying to edit a post made while the code was still acting weird (like the one I tried to do just a few minutes ago above).  Provided it doesn't crop up again later, the issue looks to be fixed.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:42:17 PM by {Insert Name Here} »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
No prob--hope you get your name back soon.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »
testing (quote)

Better now?

Let's see.

EDIT:  Looks ok now, with the exception of trying to edit a post made while the code was still acting weird (like the one I tried to do just a few minutes ago above).  Provided it doesn't crop up again later, the issue looks to be fixed.  Thanks.

edit: seems to be working fine. PASS

testing 2 (spaces)

Quote from: {Insert Name Here} link=topic=31460.msg612978#msg612978   date=1275597585
Better now?

Let's   see.

EDIT:  Looks ok now, with the exception of trying to edit a   post made while the code was still acting weird (like the one I tried   to do just a few minutes ago above).  Provided it doesn't crop up again   later, the issue looks to be fixed.  Thanks.

edit: FAIL
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:33:59 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »