Author Topic: Mother 1 + 2 Announced!  (Read 10672 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« on: April 14, 2003, 08:31:21 AM »
...And 3 teased?  Oh, what's this?  The first commercial even!

Mother 1 + 2 has been announced in Japan for the GBA, and we've got the first commercial for you. (Thanks Quiter!)

The original Mother for Famicom was never released outside of Japan.  Apparently, its graphics have been slightly updated in this port.  Its SNES sequel, starring Ness, a little boy who Smash Bros. fans will recognize, was released worldwide as Earthbound and quickly became a cult hit.  Mother is highly regarded as a very funny, underrated, and unconventional RPG series.

Mother 1+2, which obviously contains both of these classic RPGs, will be released on June 20th for 4800 yen.  There's no release  date for Mother 3, but there's a teaser at the end of the commercial for this brand new game in the series.  We'll  have more information when we find our Japanese correspondent.  For now,  check out the commercial!

Mother 1 + 2

MPEG

Movie 1  (2.9MB MPEG)

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 08:45:04 AM »
YES!  My copy of Earthbound has a dead battery and I would love to be able to buy a new version and get Earthbound 0 with it.  I really REALLY hope this gets a North American release.  Considering every SNES RPG under the sun has gotten ported to the GBA and brought to North America this should too.

I wonder what they would call the NES Earthbound in North America.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 09:11:34 AM »
BEST NEWS since the return of Square.

Btw, what's the teaser for Earthbound 3?  At the end of the commercial, it just says something like this:

Mother:
For use on the GameBoy Advance...  gunmaken....  (don't know that last word)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline loserfish13

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 09:18:03 AM »
if this is fake AGAIN im gonna cry.......

does anyone know the source. and is it gonna be in the home of the free (america, show your suport) too?

wait is it the land of the free or home of the free....?
Animal Crossing:
Name: pj
Town: terrytwn

My collection:
myurl

My Wishlist:
my

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 09:51:39 AM »
Quick post...  My translation might have been slightly in error...  I have been looking at it a second time, and some things don't match up.  I will ask my Japanese teacher, and get that last word anyways.

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 10:15:34 AM »
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

And if you see it on PGC, it's legit.  Period.

As for Mother, I never played it the first time around and so I for one am looking forward to it.  And on my new GBP to boot!
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline oneate7

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 10:30:01 AM »
starmen.net has it translated
"We're making Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance too!"
sexy  

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 10:41:36 AM »
That'd be pretty sweet to play Earthbound 0
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 10:45:52 AM »
Sorry, we can't allow you to link directly to the image.  It definitely says that they're also making Mother 3 for GBA, but I don't know what "Gunmaken" means either.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 10:46:01 AM »
Wow. I'm still waiting for the movie to download. I've never played a mother or earthbound game.

Offline SuckLikeAFox

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 10:50:50 AM »
Starts foaming at mouth....sweet

No all i need is the NA release announced...E3 cant come soon enough

Offline BlackGriffen

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 11:02:44 AM »
Mother 3 for the GBA? Where's the GC lovin'! The GC needs a popular Japanese RPG more than the GBA does.

Are Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Rune II supposed to carry the GC in Japan all by themselves? There better be some serious GC lovin' at E3, or I'll.... I'll!

I'll rage and vent impotently in these forums again like I am now!

BlackGriffen

Offline Fammy2000

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 11:03:11 AM »

Originally posted by: oneate7
starmen.net has it translated
"We're making Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance too!"
sexy

Uh, I hope this isn't a remake/rework of the ill-fated N64 Mother 3. That would have been easier to move UP to the GC and not DOWN to the GBA. It may be a all new version.

Ah, rework. Twice as fun the second time.
My sig beat up your honor roll sig.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2003, 11:19:30 AM »
"Mother 3 for the GBA?  Where's the GC lovin'! The GC needs a popular Japanese RPG more than the GBA does."

I'll agree with you on that.  Of course there has been tons of situations where I've questioned Nintendo focusing on the GBA and ignoring the Gamecube.  I remember when the GB Player was announced and I figured it was a Cube killer app.  Surely every GBA owner who complained about the dark screen would buy a Gamecube to play their GBA games on TV with perfect visability.  Then Nintendo released the GBA SP out of nowhere and basically killed a huge chunk of the GB Player's appeal before it was even released.  Nintendo's use of the GBA/GC link cable so far has been more of an incentive for Cube owners to buy GBAs when it should be the other way around.  Camelot makes a major RPG series of the GBA and their projects for the Cube are merely sequels of Mario sports games that arguably didn't need sequels in the first place.

The GBA doesn't need Nintendo's attention yet it gets most of it.  The Gamecube needs Nintendo's attention and gets ignored.  If the Gamecube was a human child it would grow up to be a psycho killer.

Going back on topic it doesn't really make any sense to make Mother 3 for the GBA when it's already getting a port anyway.  The GBA doesn't need a new Earthbound game if it's already got a port while the Gamecube desperately needs an exclusive RPG.  This is like rereleasing A Link to the Past and then making Wind Waker for the GBA.  Why put all the Earthbound games on the GBA?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2003, 12:39:41 PM »
While Mother 3 on the GBA is certainly nothing to get down about (in fact, it's GREAT news), I definetly think Nintendo would be better off making a high profile, high quality, RPG for the Gamecube, which needs it a LOT more than the GBA, which already has quite a few stellar RPG's. Anyone who knows Japanese, I would make sure the translation Starmen.net gave is correct.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2003, 12:46:56 PM »
Nintendo is pushing more power behind the GBA because that is where most of their money if.  Look at the sales numbers for the GBA and the Gamecube and you can see that.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2003, 12:53:24 PM »
It's a catch-22, Jollus- a paradox. They're pushing the GBA more than the Gamecube because it makes more money but you could argue just as well that the reason it's making so much money is because Nintendo's really pushing it. All that GBA pushing leaves the Gamecube falling behind. The GAMECUBE could be the one pulling in all that money if Nintendo puts it's power behind IT.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jonk

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2003, 01:01:48 PM »
Since I cant post in the GBA forum about this, Starmen.net has posted a TRANSLATED VERSION of the commercial. I work for Starmen.net and asked the webmaster of starmen.net if I could link to the site (and said it was ok) and if Billy posts about the SM.N, I believe its ok Enjoy the new TRANSLATED MOVIE AND SCREENSHOTS!
A Zealous Imagineer

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2003, 01:48:29 PM »
Grrrrr..... this whole Mother 3 for the GBA thing is REALLY pissing me off. When is Nintendo going to wake up and realize that the Gamecube is going to FAIL if they don't support it with some big name titles. Pretty much everybody in Japan already has a GBA, and almost all of them love Mother, so naturally this would be a GREAT way to really boost GC sales in Japan by making a Gamecube Mother game. Maybe it's getting Mother 4, ala the Metroid treatment we just got.

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 02:12:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneI wonder what they would call the NES Earthbound in North America.

The infamous prototype dubbed it "Earthbound Zero". That makes the most sense anyway.

The curious thing is, what'll they call Mother 3 in the US? They might want to switch back to the Japanese names, so they might do a bridge titling, "Earthbound: Mother 3" or something...

Offline Stuffage

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2003, 02:21:45 PM »
The most likely reason that Mother3 is coming out of GBA is because the dev team for Mother3 for N64 had big time problems programming in 3D.  By making the next game 2D on GBA, Itoi can keep his same dev team and hopefully turn out a better game on GBA than on GC.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2003, 02:42:39 PM »
Stuffage: Yeah, the dev team did have problems with polygons and 3D, but I'm sure they've gotten past that milestone by now. And if they haven't, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't replaced the team with people who CAN handle 3D. In my opinion, there's absolutely no reason not to release Mother 3 for the Gamecube, that is, unless they ARE making Mother 4 (which I seriously doubt, although I can hope).

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2003, 02:59:30 PM »
Sorry, my apologies.  I mistook the 3 for Ro, which was really confusing me.  The font that they used made it really difficult for me to read.

Yes, it does say that they are also making Mother 3 for GameBoy Advance.  I still have no clue what gunmaken means though... my Japanese teacher wasn't available.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2003, 03:23:39 PM »
all i know is that it is about damn time we get some earthbound lovin'
i have been waiting for the announcement of earthbound on gba and a new earthbound for some time now
and not only is mother 2 (earthbound) on the cartrage, so is mother (earthbound 0)
hopefully mother 3 will be awesome- as long as it keeps the same craziness as the first 2 i cant wait
i call the big one bitey.

Offline mkeyes

• View Profile
Mother 1 + 2 Announced!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2003, 04:28:33 PM »
Mother 3 should be called Earthbound 2, because they promised us Earthbound 2 in Earthbound and I've been waiting dagnabbit!