Author Topic: Must See Miyamoto TV  (Read 9126 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« on: April 14, 2003, 06:55:28 AM »
A new documentary about video games premiers this Wednesday night on The Learning Channel.  Did I mention that Shigeru Miyamoto will be featured?

Gameheadz Premieres on TLC on Wednesday 16th April at 10pm ET/PT

TLC presents a new documentary that tells the story of the early pioneers of the world's fastest growing entertainment industry. It's a tale of visionaries, brilliant inventors and genius hippie renegades - the story of Computer Games.

It all began with the unveiling of PONG in a local Californian tavern in 1972. Atari's founder Nolan Bushnell and Pong's creator Al Alcorn tell the story of how they created the games industry with a bunch of spare parts and an old wooden crate.

Gameheadz includes never-before-seen footage from "A Day at Atari" - a mock documentary made by Atari employees in the late seventies.

Activision founder and star designer, David Crane, explains what went wrong at Atari and how it led to the entire industry collapsing in 1983.

Ralph Baer, creator of the Odyssey system, sets the record straight on who really invented video games.

In the early Nineteen-Eighties, British teenagers revolutionised the computer games industry with games they designed at home on cheap computers - computers bought by parents to help with their homework.

Oliver Twins, Philip and Andrew, tell the story of how they sold their first game at the age of thirteen and went on to become millionaires. Their collaboration with the teenage Darling Brothers helped build one of the world's most powerful and acclaimed game publishers, Codemasters.

Nintendo filled the void left by the collapse of Atari and the American computer games industry.

Thanks to the work of its creative genius, Shigeru Miyamoto, the company became synonymous with computer games and its mascot, Mario became more famous than Mickey Mouse.

Gameheadz explains the Miyamoto phenomenon, tracing his inspirations back to a magical childhood spent exploring the Japanese countryside. Miyamoto tells the story of how an amazing series of twists of fate led to him being asked to design his first game - Donkey Kong.

A highlight for game fans in particular is Miyamoto performing the theme tune to Super Mario Bros. on his guitar.

And Miyamoto reveals how he came up with the magic formula for Zelda - the game critics said at the time was doomed to failure, but has since been acclaimed as the greatest series of computer games ever made.

Nintendo's dominance of the games industry was assured when it scooped the world rights to Russian puzzler Tetris - the most addictive game of all time.

Henk Rogers tells the story of how he travelled to Moscow in the dying months of communism, befriended the games creator Alexey Pajitnov and won the rights to Tetris against strong competition from Hungarian publisher Robert Stein and the wishes of the KGB.

Alexey Pajitnov reveals how he came up with the game that has driven a generation of children and adults alike to the brink of insanity. And this program gives viewers a rare glimpse of his original version of the game in action on a Soviet Electronica 60 computer.

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Kimchi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 07:19:36 AM »
Awesome.. I must not miss that.  **Writes a bunch of notes to himself.**
AC name: Kimchi
AC town: Kakariko

Offline Robageejammin

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:32:29 AM »
Shiggy on the gee-tar?!!? MUST SEE!
"Luigi is the dreamy, comical poster boy of the Smash series, and everywhere he goes his slightly awkward presence is felt."
- Sakurai

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 10:53:20 AM »
I am so watching it. Finding documentaries on videogames on tv is very rare. The most I get are very superficial news reports intended for adults who have no clue what videogames are. I say it's about time people cover and document videogames to the level of tv and cinema on television. I don't have G4, so I can't watch that channel. I can't wait to see Shiggy on guitar, too.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 12:27:27 PM »
Guitar?...I've only seen him play banjo...Maybe they couldn't tell the difference?...
Let's seen 10:00 Wednesday....That better be night...

Offline Toolvana

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 01:33:56 PM »
Holy crap.
/me sets vcr to record two days in advance just in case

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 03:39:49 PM »
Times like this make me wish I had cable...
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline CloudSpekk

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 03:47:41 PM »
I don't even know if I get this channel.

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 12:42:44 AM »
Is anyone able to capture this in a nice .mpg file?

I can host it for everyone to download on 1 or 2 ftp's.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 12:50:35 AM »
Sorry, I have no way of recording or digitizing my cable....  Maybe someone else can.

Originally posted by: Kimchi
Awesome.. I must not miss that.  **Writes a bunch of notes to himself.**

Yeah, I wrote it on a post it note and stuck it to my TV.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline OrangeLazarus

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 01:42:56 AM »
I'll try to capture this on my comp.  I'm not an expert doing this but i'll do my best.  What size file would you want it to be for it to be hosted on your ftp?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 01:44:54 AM »
I beg anyone to capture Miyamoto performing the theme tune to Super Mario Bros. on his guitar.

I beg you, please...

Offline Kimchi

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003, 02:18:57 AM »
I wonder if Kondo taught him or he figured it out by ear...  To tell the truth, I don't know as much as I'd like about Shiggy; I didn't even know he played guitar or banjo or whatever.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 08:29:37 AM »
He plays both by the way.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003, 06:58:04 PM »
he plays anything with strings probably...well maybe not the violin...but hes talented ...you never know...he used to be in a blugrass band...or does that still as a hobby.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kimchi

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2003, 08:28:48 PM »
I wonder if the crazy banjo part in that race / rainbow level / etc. music in Super Mario 64 was Shiggy's idea...

Kondo: Here's the music for the rainbow ride level...
Miyamoto:  Ah, very nice.. but it needs more crazy banjo in it.
Kondo:  OK, got it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2003, 06:03:48 PM »
anyone on the east coast seen it?
how was it?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2003, 06:05:36 PM »
I just saw it. Pretty well done and I came out of it with more knowledge such as the creator of Tetris, Ralph Baer, Codemasters, and the creation of Activision.
My video game knowledge expands

Does anyone know if there will there be a continuation of this?

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 06:23:39 PM »
I just saw it. Great stuff. I like the part about Zelda being the greatest game series of all time

I sure hope there's a continuation of this...

Oh, and Kondo didn't compose the Super Mario theme. Miyamoto did, with an electric keyboard. He plays guitar and loves music. Kondo came in a little bit later and composed all the rest, but Miyamoto is responsible for Mario tune..

Well done, "Leopard Productions" Never heard of em...

So, as we already knew, the games industry is already bigger than the movie industry...just two more to go before it becomes the biggest and baddest of all entertainment industries: Music and Home Video. How many years till #1?...(games industry is like 10 or 11 billion, home video is around 15 billion I believe, and music is like 30 billion dollars...movies are like 7 or 8 billion by the way, not sure about TV..).

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 06:26:01 PM »
OH CRAP!  I missed it...    I was playing Skies of Arcadia and completely forgot....

Did anyone make a recording of it?  I can host 50MB of it in 10MB chunks if anyone wants to send it to me.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 06:28:33 PM »
Phew....  I just checked TLC's schedule, and it seems that it's going to be on again at 1:00 AM ET, 11:00PM MST.  I will make an even BIGGER effort to watch it this time around.

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 07:14:39 PM »
It was an interesting documentary overall. They didn't show too much of Miyamotot playing the guitar though. It was nice to see how Miyamoto's childhood adventures (he discovered a lake!) influenced Zelda.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2003, 09:03:28 PM »
I loved the show, and I will be watching again next week.  It's rare indeed to see the story told objectively and truthfully.

Offline Kimchi

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2003, 12:02:47 AM »
My two minor complaints:
1. They should have just subtitled Miyamoto, rather than dub him in a quiet voice with a factitious japanese accent.
2. They should have shown him playing guitar without dialogue over it.

It was awesome.

Offline OrangeLazarus

• View Profile
Must See Miyamoto TV
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2003, 01:50:19 AM »
I have captured the video in a 97.1 MB file.  If someone wants to host it, e-mail me at donmattingly_23@hotmail.com.