Author Topic: PGC turning into IGN?!?!  (Read 7065 times)

Offline TheDracula

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« on: April 06, 2003, 10:17:39 AM »
Ok is PGC turning into IGN i mean it seems like eveyday more and more ads are put up. Are they going to have to start a Paying membership plan like IGN?  Thats one of the reasons why i like PGC so much cuz its not like IGN. But now your starting those ads that have the link to your site? its looking alot the same.I duno maybe im the only one who thinks this but i felt the need to say it.
"You are not your job.
You are not how much you have in the bank.
You are not the contents of your wallet.
You are not your fucking Khakis.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of
the world."
Tyler-Fight Club

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 10:35:40 AM »
Would you be willing to donate XXXX dollars to replace ads? If not then they wont leave.

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 11:23:33 AM »
No, we are not turning into IGN.  We have ads to pay for the site.  We're not planning on charging our readers to read our stuff.  But buying T-shirts and DVDs help .
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 12:11:42 PM »
Hey man, dealing with a few ads is nothing compared to having to pay to access things as trivial as forums. If the ads really are bothering you, get a pop up blocker (sometimes you find pop up ads for them ). I myself use Opera as my browser, which has a built in pop up killer that works beautifully. I haven't seen a pop up in the forums, or anywhere else for that matter, in a looooooong time.

BTW, Billy, maybe to scare more people into donating to the site, you could have some figure on the main page showing what it costs a month to run the site. Once they see how expensive it really is, they might be more willing to donate or buy some products.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 12:17:23 PM »
Dealing with a few ads is nothing compared to dealing with my !@#%$@ duplicate post problem (READ: HELP ME).
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 01:26:14 PM »
Click reply to thread ONCE. Let it load.  Be patient.
Billy Berghammer

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 02:47:14 PM »
Billy, I don't think his problem is clicking the reply button multiple times. Theavenge had the same problem (same number of multiple posts, too- always 6). It could be a problem with their browser, I don't know, but it isn't impatience.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Clonester

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 04:41:35 PM »
Thank you Mouse_Clicker, for being the first person to actually respond to my pleas for help, despite posting in another topic, creating a new one, and my reply today. I am clicking only once, ONCE!!!!, on the reply button. I don't know whether it is a browser problem or what, I'm not sure. I have IE 6.0, but I'm sure plenty of other people do too, but the only other person to suffer from this problem that I am aware of is theaveng. Is there a browser setting I must change, or is it perhaps the forums??? I don't know. It doesn't do this on other forums, not that I'm saying it is a probem with the forums. How large a download is Opera? Maybe I'll check that out right now. I would prefer to keep my current browser if it is a large download (I have a slow connection and no access at all to high speed in my location) so any help at all would be appreciated.

And sorry to:

a) Mods, for having to clean up my mess.
b) People who will have to read through this duplicate post until a mod cleans it up.
Most Favourite Game Of All Time: Chrono Trigger

Nick Frizzell- Gamecube Heaven Preview Writer
www.gamecubeheaven.tk

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 06:15:26 PM »
I think this is the version of Opera I'm running. It's completely free and just under a megabyte in size. They have newer versions you can try for free, but only for a limited time until you have to buy them. I fidn the free one works great- even has a built in pop up killer.

Offline TheDracula

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 08:24:14 PM »
Yess i understand that the ads help pay for the site but i have been a pgc reader for awhile now and there just seems to be more and more.  IGN started out ad free then more and more and more and thanks for that program it works great  And its not just pop-ups eather like a page that is a big ad that u have to click a link just to get to the place u wana go
"You are not your job.
You are not how much you have in the bank.
You are not the contents of your wallet.
You are not your fucking Khakis.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of
the world."
Tyler-Fight Club

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 08:33:45 PM »

Originally posted by: PGC-Agent Cooper
Click reply to thread ONCE. Let it load.  Be patient.

Actually if you click reply more than once, you CAN'T double post.  The forums won't allow that.  It's kind of annoying if you know for a fact that your post didn't post.    Try it yourself.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2003, 08:49:23 PM »
That's the state of the web, TheDracula. CNET, Salon, Slashdot, and numerous others have changed their site to reflect things; whether it's posting partial articles in an attempt to get subscribers or having ads that take up most of the screen, things have changed.

i really have to wonder how many of you who complain about this site being like IGN actually have Insider subscriptions. i've said this like three times before, but there's still ads for subscribers, moreso i believe than here at PGC. And the forums are a mess. Between people posting spoilers for games (parts of Wind Waker are spoiled for me), threads that NEVER stay on topic, and the childish namecalling, i barely post there. About the only thing the mods do is close threads that discuss piracy, nudity, or some other glaring offense. i think the main advantage of the Insider subscription is being able to download high quality movies.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Matt

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2003, 02:50:21 PM »
The moderators really only need to close threads that break the rules.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline cubedcinder128

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2003, 07:15:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Clonester
Thank you Mouse_Clicker, for being the first person to actually respond to my pleas for help, despite posting in another topic, creating a new one, and my reply today. I am clicking only once, ONCE!!!!, on the reply button. I don't know whether it is a browser problem or what, I'm not sure. I have IE 6.0, but I'm sure plenty of other people do too, but the only other person to suffer from this problem that I am aware of is theaveng. Is there a browser setting I must change, or is it perhaps the forums??? I don't know. It doesn't do this on other forums, not that I'm saying it is a probem with the forums. How large a download is Opera? Maybe I'll check that out right now. I would prefer to keep my current browser if it is a large download (I have a slow connection and no access at all to high speed in my location) so any help at all would be appreciated.

And sorry to:

a) Mods, for having to clean up my mess.
b) People who will have to read through this duplicate post until a mod cleans it up.

I just had the same problem... I was replying to a news story posted at the site. I absolutely know for a fact that I clicked the reply button only ONCE, but I end up seeing 9 of my message!
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2003, 01:23:16 PM »
These problems with repeated posts have to deal with web accelerators.  If you have something like that installed, please disable that before using our forums.  You won't have that problem again.
Billy Berghammer

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2003, 01:25:19 PM »
Yeah, Ace was posting in 11's and 9's yesterday- good thing we know what causes the problem now.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 07:10:29 AM »
I still remember PGC when it started..

NO ads... still the best quality...

regardless, I know billy won't make us pay for PGC, its just not the way he is, he run's this website because its what he loves to do.
(and i think Louie might influence him.....)

I remember a quote billy once made... but, not very well, anyway, it was something like
"Company ran sites have to make a profit, Were just fine breaking even."

Offline Matt

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2003, 10:40:40 AM »
I am running a web accelerator / prefetcher, and it works fine... no multi-post errors.

Mabye certain accelerators cause problems, and others are ok.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline XBR

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 05:41:53 PM »
O come on dudes, the poor staff at IGN is trying to run a huge, widley popular network of like 10 websites with thousands of reviews and even more previews and codes and other stuff.  They cant pay for all that by them selfs!  I think Insider is only fair to the IGN staff members, well mabey not Fran because hes an Ass Clown, but the rest are cool.  Im sure that if PlanetGameCube was that big, it would have to have a Members Only section thing.  And if you think IGN is bad, check out GameSpot.  You have to pay for watching 7 year old videos of Charlie Blast's Territory on N64! ill be damned to even pay for owning that game let alone watching videos of it!  
Rocko's Modern Life....
       ...the good ole days

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 07:46:55 PM »

Originally posted by: TheDracula
Ok is PGC turning into IGN i mean it seems like eveyday more and more ads are put up. Are they going to have to start a Paying membership plan like IGN?  Thats one of the reasons why i like PGC so much cuz its not like IGN. But now your starting those ads that have the link to your site? its looking alot the same.I duno maybe im the only one who thinks this but i felt the need to say it.

I would RATHER they went to that, I even suggested it myself via e-mail when PGC started delving into pop-up territory. I think they'd make more guaranteed money per user, even if it was just a few bucks (versus multiple page views by one IP generating a fraction of a cent at best), and in the end add up to more, even if Net users on the whole are kind of cheap. Tired of PGC cheering on how free this and that is (supposedly in comparison to IGN), you just have to dig under the popups to find it.

It's gotten better lately, but can still get very annoying. Even to the point where it's crashed my IE 5.5 sometimes, which PGC _never_ used to do. Some ad as of late can really cause problems when it comes up in the rotation.

So I would prefer a "Donator" program for advert-free or limited pages. But PGC seems quite happy with their new addition of interstitials (which won't load the ad on any machine that's had that "SuperTrick" done on it via the .hosts file, by the way), so I don't think there's much hope of the site leaning back towards an ad-less option.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
PGC turning into IGN?!?!
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2003, 03:46:16 AM »
Hey, I use Netscape 7 with no problems. Hell it even come with a pop-up stoper. PGC has always stood for free, high quality journalism. Sure, you can't find movies that are 9999MB big. Sure you can't find 99999 screen shots for a game. But the one thing that they do have is down to earth honest and constiant reviews and news (@Nd l0u1e t3h c@!!!111) that almost always arrive in a timely manner, even though none of the staff are paid. You probabily have no idea of how much trffic comes through PGC on normal days, let alone E3 and back then spaceworld. Pop-ups and in-betweens are becoming more problematic all over the net. Get use to it.

Note IGN actually PAY THIER STAFF.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?