Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 243503 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #400 on: November 25, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
just a big fan of conformity in general.

If most people in this thread hate Gamestop and he is saying it isn't that bad then how is that conformity?

It reminds me of certain types of people who like to wear certain types of clothing and listen to certain types of music to express "their individuality", but it turns out there are countless other people who do the exact same thing so it actually ends up going full circle with all of them being conformists to one another instead of being the mavericks that they thought they were.

"I'm going to be a rebel just like everyone else I know! Take that, establishment!"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:39:48 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 25, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
So you're just against rebelling, huh? At least that makes sense...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 25, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
NWR in general is not the general public, so I'd say the anti-GameStop sentiment represents a minority.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 26, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
But the discussion is taking place on NWR, where the anti-GameStop sentiment represents a majority.
is your sanity...

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #404 on: November 26, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
We represent the majority of a minority of the majority.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 26, 2010, 09:38:56 PM »
I don't think the vocal part of NWR even represents the majority opinion of NWR in most cases.

Not sure if this is one of them or not.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »
I almost walked in to a GS store to look for a used rockband/guitar hero mic, then I remembered I vowed to never spend a dime in there again. I'm proud of myself for actually sticking to this one. :)

[thought something positive was a nice change of pace for this thread, while still keeping in the spirit of it]
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 09, 2010, 01:23:19 AM »
I applied for several Gamestop manager and assistant manager positions. If I get a job there I will do my best to keep the store in the right.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 09, 2010, 04:06:13 AM »
My friend went to Gamestop the day Black Ops came out to get a new copy, but they sold him one that was already opened. How the hell can it be new if its been opened? And there was no discount for that whatsoever. He paid full price for something opened and used... but I have to blame my friend for that as much as Gamestop because he could have said no and demanded an unopened copy or taken his business elsewhere. Oh well.

But how the hell can they be selling opened/used versions of Black Ops on the very day it launched anyway?
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 09, 2010, 05:26:31 AM »
I believe someone here stated how they open all of them when they arrive and lock up the discs. He walked in when some guys were in the process of unwrapping all the games.

Though any place I ever went to would first check if they had a sealed one before selling off the display copy.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #410 on: December 09, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
I believe someone here stated how they open all of them when they arrive and lock up the discs. He walked in when some guys were in the process of unwrapping all the games.

I have never heard of them doing that (and I have known several people who worked for GS, including a couple who were managers). The only one they open up is the display copy, otherwise they are kept sealed the way they got them. Used games are a different story. I suppose things could have change though.

Choze, why would he get a discount? It's not a used game. GameStop is not to blame, if anybody you should blame publishers for not including a empty box for the store to use as a display copy.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 09, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »
GameStop made the decision to set up their stores in such a way, so they can be blamed for selling opened new copies. There are other ways they could have designed their stores to avoid the issue.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »
I applied for several Gamestop manager and assistant manager positions. If I get a job there I will do my best to keep the store in the right.

Good attitude, but I'd just recommend applying elsewhere.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 09, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Choze, why would he get a discount? It's not a used game.

Odd, if I buy a game, open it, then go to return it, they won't take it back because it's "used".

GameStop is not to blame, if anybody you should blame publishers for not including a empty box for the store to use as a display copy.

Also odd.  Target, Walmart, KMart, Toys R Us, Game Crazy (when they existed), etc., etc all seem to get by without the publishers having to supply them with display materials.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
I had a bad experience with Gamestop where one of its employees told me that Gametop is unique from other retailers in that they actually let you hold a physical game case. This is fine, but when you sell me a new copy I expect it to be wrapped and not opened with a new sticker on it. Also, if I buy a used game and I do not like it I am going to return it in exchange for something else within a set window of time.

Another bad experienced involved an employee who told me that I could get my preorder copy of Epic Mickey because my edge card had expired. I complained to the manager and the guy finally let me have my game. Luckily it was still in its wraper and I left slightly pissed off.

I can not stand that sticker that they put on their used games. I hate it because of that sticky residue that is left over when you try and peel it off. If it is left on, it messes with the display of my game collection.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2010, 09:29:32 PM »
I can not stand that sticker that they put on their used games. I hate it because of that sticky residue that is left over when you try and peel it off. If it is left on, it messes with the display of my game collection.

Goo Gone is your best friend when it comes to those Gamestop stickers.  Just peel off enough of the sticker by hand so that the liquid can soak through, remove everything from the case (including the cover), coat the sticky area in a light puddle of Goo Gone, and in probably less than 5 minutes you can pull the sticker off extremely easily with no sticky residue.  My family's been using the stuff as far back as I can remember, and it's really easy to use (especially since the bottles now come with little stoppers so you can just "dab" at the stickers instead of using a Q-Tip or pouring the liquid all over it).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 09, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
or just don't buy from GS... (saving yourself money on buying this "Goo Gone")

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 09, 2010, 09:53:27 PM »

Goo Gone is your best friend when it comes to those Gamestop stickers.  Just peel off enough of the sticker by hand so that the liquid can soak through, remove everything from the case (including the cover), coat the sticky area in a light puddle of Goo Gone, and in probably less than 5 minutes you can pull the sticker off extremely easily with no sticky residue.  My family's been using the stuff as far back as I can remember, and it's really easy to use (especially since the bottles now come with little stoppers so you can just "dab" at the stickers instead of using a Q-Tip or pouring the liquid all over it).

I used that stuff to remove the sticker residue off of my Wii when I replaced my skins with a newer version (which I need to post soon).

What do ya'll think of my new avatar?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

Except once the cover was off center when they applied the sticker and I couldn't remove it without damaging the actual cover sleeve. Was so mad about that.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #419 on: December 13, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »
Choze, why would he get a discount? It's not a used game.

Odd, if I buy a game, open it, then go to return it, they won't take it back because it's "used".

Because it is used. The display copies aren't.

GameStop is not to blame, if anybody you should blame publishers for not including a empty box for the store to use as a display copy.

Also odd.  Target, Walmart, KMart, Toys R Us, Game Crazy (when they existed), etc., etc all seem to get by without the publishers having to supply them with display materials.

That's because they lock all of their games behind glass. If you want GameStop to do the same, fine. Well, TRU doesn't but they have a lot of security.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 13, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
Because it is used. The display copies aren't.

How can they tell the difference? How is a game which was opened and put on display any different than a game which was opened and played, when the disc wasn't damaged or worn in any way that is visible to the human eye? Are Gamestop employees computerized androids programmed with the superhuman ability to tell the difference?

I think a good rational reason to not want a display copy of a game is because countless people have been touching and spreading their germs on it. It also looks bad when you get someone a game as a gift and its already been opened. You can't just say, "oh, its just a display copy, its not used".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:36:29 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 13, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
Wal-Mart doesn't lock up their games anymore, and UncleBob/Chozo Ghost win this one.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Wal-Mart doesn't lock up their games anymore, and UncleBob/Chozo Ghost win this one.

Geez, I guess that was just a forcefield at the Walmart I was at yesterday, and at nother Walmart last week. The only games Walmart doesn't have behind glass are the music bundles. Please actually go to a Walmart next time.

Display copy is NOT used, period.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »
Display copy is NOT used, period.

but it is open and should be discounted slightly because of that. Just like open box at any other electronics store.
It may not have been used, but it wa opened, taken out of the box and then returned. It gets discounted for not being in the sealed packaging as it was delivered to the store. GS should knock off a few bucks because they opened it, breaking the factory seal.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #424 on: December 15, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
My Walmart has gone the step of putting all the games in individual security cases.

I agree that if the original factory wrapping is off a game, it should be marked as used. There's no other indicators that the game is used. How would you feel if you got an opened game for Christmas? What if you had to return it, whether someone played it or not? No store would take it for the original price paid. You take a risk for taking a display case. You should be compensated for that risk.