Author Topic: Splatoon!! WELCOME - TO DYE!  (Read 132375 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon!!
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:56 PM »
Nintendo even straight out told them to not be conservative with it nor to hold back. They said similar stuff with Bayonetta designs too. Nintendo doesn't care about aiming for the E friendly or M style but rather the style that fits the game. With Splatoons, a wacky artwork style fits the wacky gameplay idea they came up with.

Nintendo actually told Platinum to remove the undershirt from Bayonetta's Link costume because they felt it would fit her style better.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
It would be interesting if they had a "cleanup crew" mode where someone ran around and undid the paint that the other teams were making. I could see Mario appear as a DLC character.

I am in a camp similar to Ian of just not being terribly interested in this game. A lot of the right elements seem to be there but it is just not clicking for me.

Or maybe I'm just so overwhelmed with all the great games coming in the next two years that I just have to start prioritizing what I can afford to purchase.

I like the idea of a cleanup team.  They would have a much harder goal.  Their goal is to have more area clean than all the other teams.  So basically, any teams paint counts against them.  Which perhaps isn't any different than before, but since the clean up's paint doesn't double against other teams it because a harder task to win.  But perhaps that gives them special abilities. 

Maybe the clean up crew can't die...but can't ink swim.  Or maybe the clean up crew can ink swim anywhere.  I dunno.  Something could be determined.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
Make Mario and F.L.U.D.D. an unlockable character.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
Make Mario and F.L.U.D.D. an unlockable character.
Better yet an unlockable game mode.  Same as the other except 1 personally randomly gets picked as Mario with F.L.U.D.D.  That person would try to get roughly 10% or so clean to win.  They have to have a longer respawn time but essential they be a trolling character.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
Mario would be pretty powerful troll.  I would not allow him to be killed though.  Perhaps you shoot him and his fludd device gets dirty and he needs to run back to his base...but even that might not work.  Just give him all his Sunshine moves and let him go to town.  Then he has to get some water to refill. 

Could be fun. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
If you ink Mario he gets stuck and moves like he's in molasses for a few seconds.

He has to refill his FLUDD to clean the ink stains.

He has to use water from his FLUDD to free himself from ink stains quicker, then forcing him to need a refill quicker.

Squids needs to put twice as much ink on a fresh cleaned spot to re-ink it due to dilution from the water.

If Mario "cleans" the area a Squidd is hiding in, they respawn back in their base.

Mario has all his Sunshine/64 moves in tact, and can slide quite well on ink as long as he wasn't "inked".

This mode is unlocked either after you beat the local mode, play "X" amount of matches/hours online to score "Y" amount of points, or you can purchase it from the eShop fro $4.99.

Let the games begin.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:44:24 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
I totally love Mario and all... but how about we let this game be an original IP all on its own and save the Mario skins for the second game? :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
Nintendo fans!

-beg for new IPs-
-immediately begin to shoehorn ways to put Mario in it-
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
Nintendo fans!

-beg for new IPs-
-immediately begin to shoehorn ways to put Mario in it (as a bonus mode)-

FTFY ;) :P
We need to welcome the "Squidds" to the Mushroom Kingdom with warm Hearts and open arms.

What's the chances that Nintendo gets the main character into Smash Bros as an assist trophy or something after the positive E3 response?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
I wouldn't really call it shoehorning, it's a pretty obvious comparison to make.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
If Nintendo had, as I suggested earlier, made this a game featuring Mario characters and Blooper suits, there'd be bajillion posts about how this isn't a real Mario game, blah, blah, blah...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
It would be akin to Mario being the Ref in Mii Sports Boxing, like he was in Punch Out... only possibly playable.

But honestly I wouldn't want this as a "Mario" game in Blooper Suits, although I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes a thing in SM3DWorld2.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
The mechanic doesn't have to be with Mario.  It could be with another squid character.  Or an adult character or ref character or anything.

People see Mario as a good choice because it is fun fan service.  And really fan service isn't a bad thing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »

I also want to point out that Nintendo was the first one to make the Mario connection:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:07:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
New Trailer from today's Nintendo Direct

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
I was wondering what single player would be like. Again on Ians argument. Nintendo could make a mature shooter game, but here is the deal: It would be an obscure game nobody but hardcore Nintendo fans have ever heard of despite a mass marketing campaign, it would sell few copies and Nintendo would be reluctant to make a sequel. Despite Nintendo still making it, people would still call Nintendo kiddy.

The world won't let mature Nintendo happen. Eternal Darkness, Conkers BFD, Perfect Dark, the metroid prime series, and Geist were all flops.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:35:44 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
I was wondering what single player would be like. Again on Ians argument. Nintendo could make a mature shooter game, but here is the deal: It would be an obscure game nobody but hardcore Nintendo fans have ever heard of despite a mass marketing campaign, it would sell few copies and Nintendo would be reluctant to make a sequel. Despite Nintendo still making it, people would still call Nintendo kiddy.

The world won't let mature Nintendo happen. Eternal Darkness, Conkers BFD, Perfect Dark, the metroid prime series, and Geist were all flops.

Well Geist deserved to be a flop.  Anyway, I think Nintendo's image doesn't change because efforts outside the typical Nintendo style come across as token efforts.  I've never felt like Nintendo has demonstrated a desire to have a balanced lineup of games with both kid-friendly and "mature" games.  It's more like "okay here's your mature title for the year" as opposed to any legitimate attempt to appeal to that audience.  I find their attempts to improve third party support to be much of the same.  They'll make some splashy deal with a third party for one or two games and that's it?  One notable deal and everything else stays the same?  Prior to Splatoon I found their new IPs to be the same idea.  A token title here and there usually made by a second party dev.  During the Wii years that was what it felt like for "hardcore" games.  Treasure or Monolith will make a title that only appeals to core gamers and then that's it.  It's like Nintendo thinks that periodically throwing a bone to certain target audiences will do the job but it doesn't.  They developed a kiddy image because that was a target group they consistently catered towards and then the casual image came up last gen because they consistently catered towards them.

So if Splatoon was something a little less kid-oriented it probably wouldn't sell that well (not that I think it will now) because it would be Nintendo's token effort for that type of game for the next 2 years or so.  It's because there is no commitment.  There never has been and no one is fooled by an odd token effort.  Nintendo has to make enough "mature" games in a small enough timeframe that it comes across that that is something they normally do.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
I really don't think there's anything Nintendo can do to change their image at this point. The best move for them now is to embrace who they are, and not try to force things.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2015, 05:43:39 PM »
Geist was such a good idea that was so poorly implemented.  It was a game you wanted to succeed, but as you played it…you just felt all the potential die.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »
I really don't think there's anything Nintendo can do to change their image at this point. The best move for them now is to embrace who they are, and not try to force things.

I question if that is feasible for a console-maker.  Game developer?  Sure.  Lots of devs are known only for specific types of games.  But a whole console that's limited to the current Nintendo image is going to, well, sell like the Wii U.  A console's image should be very broad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
I don't think Nintendo's image is as narrow as you seem to. It doesn't cover the whole board, but it hits a good range of points. Nintendo's best move, the way I see it, is to make the best damn "second console" they can. If that doesn't work, then maybe the console market is too much for them. They don't have the money or the relationships to go for the same thing Sony and Microsoft are doing and be successful.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »
The hope for a "mature" Nintendo is a talented 2nd party studio that can do at least one core title a year. What Rare could have been.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
It's also what Retro could be, if they were making something other than Donkey Kong Country. Between them, Monolith, and the one third party they seem to be on good terms with in Platinum, they could be okay in that regard if they play it right.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:50 PM »
I would argue Nintendo could make it toe-to-toe with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo just has to work with 3rd parties like the other players do. Nintendo doesn't want to play that ball game so they don't.

I could completely see a new company head going before the big 3rd parties, make amends for past ways, and come back as king. They would still have a "Nintendo difference" about them, but they could pull off the grand return we old dogs envision.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2015, 07:39:51 AM »
It's also what Retro could be, if they were making something other than Donkey Kong Country. Between them, Monolith, and the one third party they seem to be on good terms with in Platinum, they could be okay in that regard if they play it right.

that is exactly the wrong attitude that Ian was talking about, one token game a year, even by three different studios, is nothing compared to the endless barrage of games from the other two. No a token release here and there won't cut it, that has become the norm but it wasn't always like that, Gamecube had most, not all but most of the big named Mature and T rated games, Wii had a few, Wii U has had hardly any worth mentioning.

Flip it around, the people who LOVE Nintendo games, why aren't you into Playstation? Because the handful of token Nintendo-style games they do a generation don't cut it for you, same situation Sony can get away with that because they have a broad enough appeal the people who buy their machine outnumber the people who buy Nintendo's machine (going back to generations again Ps2 out lasted and outsold Wii and Gamecube combine so Sony still won that generation even if PS3 wasn't the absolute number 1)

Nintendo can't get away with one or two third party efforts and a couple of serious games a generation and expect to win back some of their lost gamers, at best all they can do is keep the loyalists coming back and grow their target audience and forget about the gamers who moved on, they aren't coming back. Not in massive numbers,

BUT to offer a glimmer of hope, or counter argument, where I tend to agree with Ian's attitude and sentiment for the most part, I still bought into Wii U, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, DKC:TP, Mario 3D World, and Captain Toad all sold me on the machine, so yes even those of us who grew tired of the Wii can be convinced with the right game, anyone can.

I think Splatoon will be a out of left field come from behind winner that turns people's attitudes around, not in great big Wii sports numbers but enough to justify continued development in the console and Zelda/Star Fox should hold everyone else over till Nintendo figures out what to do next. The machine will not be a success compared to past consoles but I highly doubt it will be as bad as Dreamcast or Saturn in the end, a view I held a year ago, so yes Nintendo has changed some people's minds they can win over others.

BTW Ian, you enjoyed Sunshine, and Galaxy but dislike the NEW games, fair enough but have you TRIED 3D World, it really is a top tier easily one of the best Mario games ever made, a Mario fan would be doing themselves a disservice not having that game alone.
Trying to be a better person, honest.