Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1552256 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4850 on: August 26, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
Manhunter is kinda eh.

Red Dragon is the same thing and in my opinion it's better. Mann's movie does have some cool visual scenes going for it though, like very cool looking prison.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #4851 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »
if it's on Netflix I can check it out, or Hulu Plus, if not only other option is On Demand but all we have is basic cable no movie channels or extra packages.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: August 27, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »
but you also have internet, I'm sure you could figure out a way to watch it if you really wanted to.

Here's a poem for you:
scream "letmewatchthis" into the "pirates bay", and you're sure to find what you wish to play.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
Hunger Games

Dreck.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

« Reply #4854 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
sorry BNM I stick to strictly legal methods. I don't judge those who stray but I stay clear to the right of the law.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »
I finally got around to watching The Silence of the Lambs sometime last winter as I finished up my quest to see all Oscar Best Picture Winners. On the whole, I found it a rather dumb movie. To be sure, Hopkins is fantastic and Lector is the star of the show. You want to see more of him although his scenes with Foster are greater than his scenes alone or with others I feel. However, the rest of the movie is lacking. Someone once told me they thought the movie was really scary because instead of ghosts or vampires, this was about real twisted killers. While Hopkins does make Lector seem possible in real-life, the Buffalo Bill character is cartoonishly outrageous.

He starts off ok with a realistic kidnapping of a woman. But then we end up with a subterranean lair where his plan is to make a woman body suit out of the skin of other women (like that would last and never get dry) and he also puts a killer moth larvae in the victims throats as a calling card or something. The bug thing is what gets me. It's like the filmmakers felt that would make it even more creepy but Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was more creepy with its use of bugs than this movie.

While Clarice is technically the star or hero, when I think of her, I think of someone always trying to prove themselves or play catch-up. I don't think she comes across as strong-willed or tough as the filmmakers or writers thought. While it was interesting to learn what the title of the film means and how it relates to her, in reflecting about it, something about the story feels fairy-tale like.

The worst thing and most galling thing that got to me was her decision at the end when she realizes that she has found Buffalo Bill, instead of getting back-up or alerting anyone where she is and that she has located him, she chases after him alone into his basement subterrannean lair. It just seemed so stupid especially for someone we are supposed to believe is a smart agent. Not surprisingly, going into this unknown territory leads to Buffalo Bill gaining the upper hand when he cuts the lights and is wearing night google visions. Now Clarice is at his mercy and what does he do? He plays around with her by showing how close he can stand around her without her being able to tell. Finally, she kills him. The end. It was just such a dumb-cliched ending I couldn't believe that it won Best Picture. At least, Hannibal didn't show up to save her which I was half-expecting at that point. Hannibal was just looking out for himself and furthering his own agenda and I think that's what saves the picture or at least makes it end on a slightly more intriguing note.

The 4 other Best Picture nominess that year were Beauty and the Beast, Bugsy, JFK, and The Prince of Tides. I haven't seen Beauty in the Beast since it was orginally released in theaters back in 1991 although I did see a costume performance of it at Disneyland and a few years later an On-Ice production of it. While I do still recall certain things about the movie, I'd probably have to watch it again now to give it a fair assessment. I haven't seen The Prince of Tides or Bugsy although I've really become interested in tracking down and watching Bugsy. If I were to make a short list of movies I really want to see, it would be on it. I don't know why but it just seems like it would be up my alley. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned, JFK would be my choice for Best Picture and I don't think those 3 other films would challenge that notion. JFK was a riviting, gripping experience when I watched it earlier this year. While I don't post in this thread as much as I could, after watching JFK I did come and write a review on it to get the word out on it. I was telling everyone I knew to check it out because it was just so compelling and after seeing it, I am so surprised it lost to The Silence of the Lambs.

However, that is a sidepoint and winning or losing an Oscar isn't the deciding factor of what makes a film good or bad. I just found it surprising that it swept the major awards when there was, to me, a much more superior movie in competition at the same time. Thus, I may give it a harder critique because of it yet, even before seeing JFK, my opinion of it was luke-warm.

As for the other Hannibal movies, I've had no interest in them or the T.V. show. There's an interesting review of Hannibal that you may want to read at The Dissolve by clicking here. That review is all I really need to know about the sequel.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:44:39 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

« Reply #4856 on: August 27, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »
I never thought the movie was scary even when I was a kid and it was supposed to be. I always thought it was just weird and I happen to like weird. But I think most of what I enjoyed was how it reminded me of the Fugitive but without all the chase scenes. I didn't think Lector was at all believable I just think he was portrayed as more real in the context of the film universe but in real life he doesn't seem very realistic to me at all.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: August 29, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
Sabotage - Horrible / 10
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: August 29, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
Are you talking about the 1936 Hitchcock film or the 2014 Schwarzenegger film?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: August 30, 2014, 02:24:32 AM »
2014 crapfest. I'd rather watch the video for the Beastie Boys song for 2 hours. Actually, that would be awesome.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: August 30, 2014, 04:34:24 AM »
Are you talking about the 1936 Hitchcock film...
That's a great movie.

In fact all black and white Hitchcock movies i've seen were great.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: August 31, 2014, 07:02:06 AM »
Enemy Weeeeeird/10 Do you like Dopplegangers? Do you like Spiders?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4863 on: September 01, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
I saw that movie and I have NO idea whether I liked it or not. And what the heck was up with that final scene?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4864 on: September 01, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
2014 crapfest. I'd rather watch the video for the Beastie Boys song for 2 hours. Actually, that would be awesome.

Watched that video more than a couple of times in a row once during college because "college".

Great decision.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: September 01, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy

It was good, but there was a bit of it that I was not a fan of. The beginning mostly.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
Manhunter is kinda eh.

Red Dragon is the same thing and in my opinion it's better. Mann's movie does have some cool visual scenes going for it though, like very cool looking prison.

Manhunter has the same tone all Michael Mann movies have and it feels much more grounded than other versions of Hannibal Lecter, but not as fun. If you look at it as a stand alone movie, I think it is pretty good.

You ever notice how the protagonists in Michael Mann film's don't really triumph but at the end it feels like they just survived? Nobody completely controls their own destiny in his movies.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:07:48 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline jimihan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Õ„Õ¡Õ¶Õ¯Õ¡Õ¯Õ¡Õ¶ ÕÕ¸Ö€Õ©Õ¥Ö€
« Reply #4867 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
The last movie I watched was Lucy(2014) and I love this move, it was so interesting.
My rate - 9/10

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: September 02, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
I binged on movies lastw eek to catch up.

Expendables 3 - EVEN MORE EXPENDABLE but now watered down to a 12A rating to get more people to watch. The result is less gore, no blood and too many people.

Into The Storm - It's amazing how in this film about multiple tornadoes, and a basically-impenetrable tank that can survive winds up to 135mph it somehow survives unscathed right up to the point when they are in the middle of a tornado that is 300+mph. If i knew this was a found footage movie i'd have skipped it. The film also completely forgot to explain how the meteorologist, who was tracking these events, failed to notice that the wind speed (and its potential damage factor) was far higher than anything she'd seen before.

Lucy - This film was heavy on the padding initially, particularly with the nature elements. I get what they were trying to do but doing that prior to the setup of the primary story felt like "stretch for time!!!!!". Morgan Freeman was very nearly wasted too, having almost nothing to do - but boy did the film manage to be ridiculously silly and entertaining all at once. This isn't The Fifth Element (and honestly nothing comes close to that yet) but i did enjoy this. However, this is Scarlett Johannson's third best film of the year (Her came out in the UK in 2014) after Under the Skin and Cap 2.

Under the Skin is STILL the film of the year.

Sin City 2 - This film didn't need nine years to be made. I walked out going "oh ok then" and that was that.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4869 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
I didn't get Under the Skin. I understood what it was supposed to be...but yeah. After the initial alien-ness of her character wore off, I was fighting to stay engaged.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: September 03, 2014, 10:52:57 PM »
I didn't get Under the Skin. I understood what it was supposed to be...but yeah. After the initial alien-ness of her character wore off, I was fighting to stay engaged.

what he said.
I think I wrote something about it on here...(I might not have) but I really don't get the praise for it. it was kinda dull.

Enemy was also a weird one to watch. But I watched that super late night, so I might have missed part... I don't even remember. Don't really care to go back and check either.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:55:19 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: September 04, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »
I suppose i latched onto it because its Scarlett Johannson starting off by wandering around a shopping mall in Scotland, only changing her hair, and totally blends in.

It was the most extreme example of "show, don't tell" - i can see why its considered dull though. It's not paced like Cap 2 or Lucy. It was so deliberately eerie i walked out thinking "what did i just watch?!".

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: September 28, 2014, 01:48:18 AM »
The Equalizer - Denzel/10

Good movie. It won't change your life or anything, but it's pretty entertaining. Basically Denzel Washington is a badass and kills lots of people for two hours. If you ever see him in a Home Depot, leave.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: October 14, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy - NotStarWars/10
I finally caught up with this film. It was very good but not overwhelmingly great. It looks great, most of the action set pieces were fine. I like the band of characters. The plot is just an overly complicated take on chasing a MacGuffin. There were enough spaghetti-western and prison-break film influences to keep the action fun. The story is way too convoluted. I suspect folks that are familiar with the Marvel universe of comics probably appreciated the story more than I did. I found the villains of the piece to be very boring and one-noted. They were just bad guys for bad guys' sake. No dimension to them at all. Thanos in particular was laughable. Big faced "scary" dude sitting on a throne in space. OK, whatever. He's no Darth Vader, choking the life out of some dude within the first few minutes. I gather he's the Big Bad for the next Avengers? I hope he is more interesting by then. I had the same problem with the Christopher Eccleston baddie in Thor 2. He was just a bad guy hell bent on destruction and darkness because ... no reason, he's just a bad guy. A shouty, boring bad guy. Eccleston's such a good actor, that role was wasted on him.
Anyway, Guardians was far from terrible, just not a revelation.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
Well, Thor 2 has like 20 minutes cut out of it, and then villain scenes replaced with reshoots to include more Loki. Maybe all the extra scenes are on the DVD? Or maybe one day they release the extended directors cut (since the director was cut from final edit of the movie... and probably the Loki reshoots as well).