Author Topic: New Tales game maybe announced for Wii  (Read 13844 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
New Tales game maybe announced for Wii
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
Head over to Cubed3 for the source of the following quote:

With fans of the Tales RPG series eagerly awaiting news on Tales of the Tempest on the DS from Namco, the company's official website indicates a new addition to the bustling franchise will be announced on 20th June, 2006. Could this be the untitled Wii RPG project from Namco-Bandai?

Interestingly enough, Cubed3 brings up the point that Namco has an untitled Wii RPG project. The possibility of this not being on the Wii is slimmer than it being on the Wii.

I guess Wii'll just have to wait and see.

The qoute above = the entire article from the link - so haha to all of those that clicked! Requiem +1
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: New Tales game maybe announced for Wii
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:19 AM »
Symphonia, while fun, wasn't anything terribly special, IMHO.

Still, Tales support can never be a bad thing.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:53:39 AM »
Only if they head the comments about Symponia.  Mostly the lack of Sidequests towards the end and I could never find a way to get it to zoom the camera out so everyone could see who they were playing all the time when Multiple people played in battle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:New Tales game maybe announced for Wii
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:57:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Symphonia, while fun, wasn't anything terribly special...

You are right, it was beyond special. It was amazing, addictive and loads of fun while wrapped in a lengthy RPG serving to keep you busy for at least a month.

If Namco does, trying not to get too excited about this, announce a new Tales game and it lives up to Symphonia, then that's it. The system doesn't need anymore, as it's already perfect to me with just what has been announced and everything else is just gravy to make it even more awesome.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:19:45 AM »

Symphonia, while fun, wasn't anything terribly special, IMHO.

Still, Tales support can never be a bad thing.

I think the thing is, with a small number of RPGs on the GameCube, it really stands out.

I also love Baten Kaitos (:Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean), and hope its sequel is good.  And of course Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.  (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is more like a GBA game that requires a GameCube to play rather than a GameCube game that requires GBAs to play, IMO, not that that's bad.)  And believe it or not, I also loved Mega Man X: Command Mission.

I don't consider Zelda games RPGs (uh, oh, that's a whole 'nother can of worms) but if you do, that only increases it by one (Wind Waker) or a few more (depending on if you count the Collector's Edition remakes, the Master Quest remake of Ocarina Of Time, the GBA-dependent Four Swords Adventures, and the who-wouldn't-rather-have-it-on-Wii Twilight Princess).

Either way, compared to the PS2, the GameCube isn't exactly an RPG heavyweight.  So of course any Nintendo fan who still loves RPGs (like me) is going to give it a thumbs-up.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more DS RPGs, especially the menu-driven turn-based ones (the touch-screen is great for menus).  I recall a one-handed Super NES controller, as well as a very similar PSX controller, supposedly meant for RPGs.  I don't actually think anyone needs to simultaneously do something like draw maps with the other hand while they play (or maybe they're busying themselves with something else while gaining experience levels) so if RPGs are meant to be one-handed the Wii controller might be a good fit.  Or not.  I'm sure that's not a MAJOR reason.

More likely Namco's just continuing their chumminess with Nintendo and trying out a Tales game.  Why not?  Maybe they can find a way for RPGs to be better handled with the motion-sensitive controller.  If Nintendo has all the cool RPGs (and FPSes), that would cut into the PlayStation (and Xbox) markets for sure.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:28:08 AM »
Well, Nintendo is garunteed at least one. The game coming from my favorite RPG developer, Camelot, and it sure to be spectacular. The sheer potential of the Wiimote in a Golden Sun game is awe-inspiring. Not to mention a 3-D Golden Sun game.

JonLeung - You forget about Skies of Arcadia (my 2nd favorite RPG of this gen)
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 09:34:06 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
I recall a one-handed Super NES controller, as well as a very similar PSX controller, supposedly meant for RPGs.  I don't actually think anyone needs to simultaneously do something like draw maps with the other hand while they play (or maybe they're busying themselves with something else while gaining experience levels) so if RPGs are meant to be one-handed the Wii controller might be a good fit.  Or not.  I'm sure that's not a MAJOR reason.
I remember seeing that in an old issue of Nintendo Power like 15 years ago and wanting one so bad (even though I had absolutely no use for one).

In fact, you can still buy one if you like.

There's also a no hands required controller, if that sort of thing is your bag.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem
JonLeung - You forget about Skies of Arcadia (my 2nd favorite RPG of this gen)

I was about to mention that after looking at my post - looks like you called me on it, though.  My brother tried that on his Dreamcast.  I think there may have been one or two other RPGs (Evolution Worlds or something?) that may have been ports over from the Dreamcast library.

Still, though, my point stands...the GameCube is not really an RPG machine.

I wish the Wii will be, though, and that the non-gaming market that the Wii is supposed to include doesn't scare away developers from making slightly more complex games like RPGs on it.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
BECAUSE SYMPHONIA WASN'T AN AWESOME RPG THAT TRIED TO BE AN AWESOME RPG LIKE THE MODERN FMV RPGS, NON-RPG PLAYERS LIKE MYSELF GREATLY ENJOYED IT.

Which is why people once in a while still post about it in the GameCube thread BESIDES talking about Zelda, as if they've just discovered the game.

If the only person you bothered to extensively use and practice with was Lloyd, then yeah it could get boring CUZ YOU ARE BORING.  The combat variety was there, so go take advantage of it.

Super Smash Bros. Melee gets old quick if the only person you bothered to use was Link. (and Link is boring).

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
UALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALEUALE
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
And thus Professional 666 went crazy from not getting his Doll-up of Daisy.

You know I think I'm going to give ToS a replay when I'm tired of God of War.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline 1day

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:27:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Symphonia, while fun, wasn't anything terribly special...

You are right, it was beyond special. It was amazing, addictive and loads of fun while wrapped in a lengthy RPG serving to keep you busy for at least a month.

If Namco does, trying not to get too excited about this, announce a new Tales game and it lives up to Symphonia, then that's it. The system doesn't need anymore, as it's already perfect to me with just what has been announced and everything else is just gravy to make it even more awesome.

They already did that with Tales of Abyss (PS2 only, unfortunately); I'm sure they can surpass that too as long as the right team is making the game.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:49:04 PM »
Pro wins

(although I do play as lloyd most of the time >_>)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:59:42 PM »
If the only person you bothered to extensively use and practice with was Lloyd, then yeah it could get boring CUZ YOU ARE BORING.

I used mostly Lloyd because he made the most sense for direct control, sometimes Presea or Kratos (in some rare cases Sheena but I was too ineffective with her) but since the secondary characters were often taken from your party without warning Lloyd was my primary choice. The control scheme made effective play as a mage impossible and the more direct combat focus and combo ability your character had the better it worked.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 01:24:45 AM »
It's gonna be for Xbox 360. Japan exclusive.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 04:29:17 AM »
If we were talking about Sega I'd agree.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 05:59:52 AM »
It would be nice to see a new Tales game for the Wii. It would no doubt sale systems, I mean Tales of Symphonia was like the only game that allowed the Gamecube to sale more units than the PS2... in japan... for like 2 weeks...  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »
ToS suffered from:
-Bland, pointless puzzles
-Tacked on multiplayer, forcing additional players to twiddle their thumbs while the 1st player controlled everything outside of battle
-Yawn-worthy storyline with a weak final boss and ending, replete with awful character and story cliches with stiff and lifeless facial expressions
-Horrible battle camera which left other players behind and followed only the 1st player

The game took a friend and I about a week to finish via playing it a few hours every night. The combat carried the game. Everything else was par at best and disgraceful at worst.

It wasn't a bad game, it's just that it quite clearly had its strengths and its weaknesses.

I don't think people would be singing its praises to this extent were the game on a more RPG-heavy console so that they'd have more to compare it to.

Again, Tales support is always a good thing, but the game didn't sell many Gamecubes so don't count on it selling many Wiis.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »
Wow...

I simply can't agree with you there. What game would you prefer this generation compared to ToS? I think your being unreasonable, or you really don't like RPG's to begin with.

ToS is a breath of fresh air in room filled with FMV laced games.  
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 07:39:10 AM »
Tales is still heavily borrowing from the anime genre. I will not, cannot, condone that.

My bubbling bias against anime has spilled over to RPGs.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

P.S. It's ironic, I used to like Anime too... Hayao Miyazaki, Akira, Robotech...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 07:42:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Tales is still heavily borrowing from the anime genre. I will not, cannot, condone that.

My bubbling bias against anime has spilled over to RPGs.

Actually, I think this has something to do with it.

The characters and story were a bad anime cliche. Factor in the lousy puzzles and the only thing left is the combat (which fortunately rules).

Don't get me wrong, it was always great to buck-futt some arrogant boss, but the overarching story was bland and felt like a mild variation on every "epic medieval adventure" anime storyline out there (Scrapped Princess, to name one).

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 08:49:01 AM »

Originally posted by: Requiem

ToS is a breath of fresh air in room filled with FMV laced games.

I actually like FMVs - I was hoping that in Tales Of Symphonia (and Baten Kaitos) that some shots in the opening movies were actually shots from FMV scenes within the game.  Alas, they were not so.

Though, yes, I am leery when games seem to substitute FMVs (or any kind of in-game story scene) for gameplay.  But there's nothing wrong with the occasional sequence if it's important to the story, looks cool, and doesn't disrupt the flow of the actual play.

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 09:11:53 AM »
THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

this is my favorite cube rpg, and my first love. Thank you Cubed3 and nintendo. thank you.

We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 09:22:14 AM »
I haven't played enough of TOS to make a full judgement, but I have to somewhat agree on the storyline so far.  It's kind of bland and cliche.  Still, I'm only about 1/4 of the way through.

I disagree with pretty much all the other criticisms though.  Multiplayer complaints may be true, but seeing as most RPGs don't even offer multiplayer, I don't think it's a big deal.  The battle system is very solid, and that's something that RPGs have been really bad at for a long time.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 10:17:53 AM »

The characters and story were a bad anime cliche. Factor in the lousy puzzles and the only thing left is the combat (which fortunately rules).

Don't get me wrong, it was always great to buck-futt some arrogant boss, but the overarching story was bland and felt like a mild variation on every "epic medieval adventure" anime storyline out there (Scrapped Princess, to name one).

I'm glad I haven't seen enough anime or played enough RPGs to have a cynical, "Simpsons did it" attitude about them.  I found the way ToS's story turned a typical NES era RPG storyline on its ear charming.  If that was already done to death, then I'm glad I missed out on it so I could enjoy ToS for more than its battle system.

(Edit:  Now that I've reread that, I feel like I should point out that I didn't intend to disparage anyone by that remark.  Don't read too much into it.  And I don't mean to imply that I think you're easily offended by this statement.  Nor do I mean to imply that I think you're likely to misinterpret my words by that statement.  Okay, time to put away the shovel before I dig any deeper.)

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 10:49:48 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear I'm glad I haven't seen enough anime or played enough RPGs to have a cynical, "Simpsons did it" attitude about them.  I found the way ToS's story turned a typical NES era RPG storyline on its ear charming.  If that was already done to death, then I'm glad I missed out on it so I could enjoy ToS for more than its battle system.

To be fair, even if it wasn't cliche, it still wasn't very interesting.

I didn't feel connected to it or truly involved in it. It wasn't a bad story, just not one which roped me in and had me wanting to see what would happen next.

But the combat was excellent and the real reason to play the game, IMHO.