Author Topic: new trademarks  (Read 4581 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
new trademarks
« on: June 19, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=3169

Wiipointer (the remote?), WiiCulture (online?), and, my personal favorite, !!M...which one assumes is the Wii's evil twin brother.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline AgentV3

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: new trademarks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 03:14:31 PM »
I read that as IIM, or Instant Message.  They might be making an IM client for Wii, which would tie into WiiCulture if that's an online system.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »
maybe !!M=!nteractive !nstant Messaging?

oh well, no clue, really....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:new trademarks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 05:21:31 PM »
how the hell do you pronounce "!!M"
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »
Eem or *look excited* *look more excited* mmm.   I hope they go with WiiMote instead of WiiPointer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:48:18 PM »
I don't care. It's officially the Wiimote in my mind, and that's the only place that's real.

Wii!!M
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 07:01:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

Just put the empasis on the wrong syllable.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 04:02:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

Ask the Khoisans. Seriously, I agree with the iim reading, although that is only slightly easier to pronounce.

Aw, why does Nintendo refuse to call the Wiimote by its proper name?

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 05:26:59 AM »
Does anyone else notice that when you take !!M and turn it upside down you have wii. . . .

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:31:43 AM »
I think that's what the "evil twin brother" comment meant.

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 06:17:55 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
Does anyone else notice that when you take !!M and turn it upside down you have wii. . . .

That's if you turn it, yes.  I'm sure that's the whole point.  If you flip "Wii", you get "M!!"

Wii = "we"
iiW = "eew"
M!! = "em!!"
!!M = "I'm" (???)

Next thing you know, Apple will release a new iPod model (again) called the Pod!  

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 06:19:33 AM »

I think that's what the "evil twin brother" comment meant.

Indeed.

It's hard for me to imagine the name !!M working well for anything. Expecting people to know how to pronounce wii is bad enough, expecting them to understand that 2 exclamation points are supposed to be i's is just going too far. If they want an IM service, I think it should be called WiiMessenger or similiar.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:02 AM »
Well, if "Wii" is supposed to mean "we" which it also sounds like, if "!!M" sounds like "I'm" it may also mean something personal.

!!M = I'm = I am = the answer to Nintendo's "Who Are You?" campaign = maybe a personal stats-tracking profile thing especially useful for online play?

I think Xbox Live has something like that.  I'd love for people to see my profile of games I've completed and how well I did in some of them.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 07:10:34 AM »
I really love Nintendo's Wii name.  There is just so much fun they can have with the name.  They have crafted a name that can be used in several different ways to create a true brand image.

Wii

Wiipointer (This is much better than Wiimote because it seperates it from a remote control, and describes how you will use it in games.  Very nontraditional, nongamer friendly)

WiiCulture  (Online/Internet, and such is cool.  But there are people that don't know how to use a messageboard and such.  This name creates an image, of community, yet seperates it from net or the web.)

!!M (This is just playful fun.  take the name and rotate it.  Nobody really knows what this means, but the rumors are instant messaging.  And you know what, it makes since.  Once again its important to realize imaging to the comsumer is more important than figuring out how to pronounce something.  You can be taught that.)

The one thing that sticks out to me is that it is very Apple.  You know an Apple product because of its marketing naming strategy.

IMac
IPod
IPhoto

This brand name wouldn't have worked with Revolution, and it doesn't work with 360 or PS3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 08:15:57 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Wii = "we"
iiW = "eew"
M!! = "em!!"
!!M = "I'm" (???)

Actually... if
Wii = wee
&
iiW = eew
wouldn't
M!! = mee
&
!!M = eem
?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:10 AM »
The one thing that sticks out to me is that it is very Apple. You know an Apple product because of its marketing naming strategy.

IMac
IPod
IPhoto

iQue.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »
Apple actually uses lower case Is, not capital Is.

(If Microsoft were to buy Apple, you might see an operating system called "iWin"...or perhaps Microsoft would be saying that anyway.)

I agree that "Wii" stands out visually but "!!M" is more "out there", especially with pronounciation.  It might work better once we find out what it is, but hopefully we won't have to be told how to pronounce every new thing of Nintendo's, especially since punctuation is apparently available in Nintendo's alphabet.  "Like, this is the new Nintendo %@*$&#!"  Unless we were a race of Q*berts, that has no meaning to me on its own.

I think WiiCulture could be like Touch Generations for the DS (and I think Europe's got something like Bit Generations for the GBA).  It could include a set of games, like Wii Sports, that have "Wii" in the title itself and are simple to play and don't require top-of-the-line graphics or epic storylines.  Non-gamers will want a "safe" set of games to choose from, instead of suddenly picking up Metroid Prime 3: Corruption thinking that they'll be able to play it but then get intimidated away from games again when they find out it's not quite as pick-up-and-play.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:52 AM »
youldnt the exclamtions be silent? wouldnt it just be M!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »
I'd say "bang bang M," personally, but I guess that's a programming jargon thing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
Yeah.  Computer professionals in general.

Actually I think think the i in iPod is like the e in e-Mail.  Originally it was not proper Netiquett to capitalize it since it meant Electronic.  Eventually so many people started doing it wrong you couldn't correct them enough and it became standard.  Sort of like Person and Persons when the plural is really People.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »
!  is a "click".

Google "Russell Peters" and watch his old comedy special.  You'll understand...
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »
Hmm, Click Click M.

...Pokemon Channel: Mario edition?

You know, like, the clicks represent you clicking through the channels?

Lamest joke ever? I think so!