Author Topic: Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?  (Read 13100 times)

Offline savanna03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2004, 11:10:45 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Originally posted by: savanna03

PS... oh i might made a bad example between NINTENDO and MICROSOFT, but you cant deny that NINTENDO is almost following thesame path as MICROSOFT.

Actually Microsoft is doing what Nintendo does, not the other way around. Microsoft went over to IBM and ATI after Nintendo used them, Microsoft ditched the HD after Nintendo used none, Microsoft started using a proprietary disk format after Nintendo did.

Also, the "If the DS fails that's a big blow for Nintendo" didn't mean their future is directly tied to the device, but it would be the ultimate proof that innovation is dead and people rather want sequels, rehashes and graphics updates than new stuff.

no... i wasn't comparing videogames... i was comparing metaphorically(sp?) being MICROSOFT with windows and NINTENDO with GAMEBOY...  NINTENDO is almost following MICROSOFT footstep by relacing new product everyear with minor changes.
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Rumor: Nintendo DS Specs?
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
But they don't require you to reregister everytime you plug in a different headphone, their systems don't crash every five minutes and you don't have to forfeit all rights and your soul to use the devices... Or did I miss the EULA?

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2004, 06:36:07 PM »
The difference between GBAs and Windows is that people use GBA's because they're good. People use Windows because it's there.

If hardcore computer geeks all used Windows, then it would be a safe bet that Windows would be a decent OS. But they don't. Almost every hardcore gamer I know has a GBA.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2004, 07:09:57 PM »
Hey hey hey, although I don't have an N-Gage, I do have the much sleeker and nicer Nokia phone that is sorta like the N-Gage.  Yes yes, I'm talking about the bellisimo Nokia 3300.  That phone is great, I love it and everyone I know loves it.  If I want a custom ringer, I don't have to download some horrible ring tones of Disposition by TooL, I just hook my phone up to my computer and transfer it.  HOOWAH!! Disposition on my phone as my ringer.  Also I get to put whatever JPEGs I want as my wallpaper.  This phone is what the N-Gage should have been, and it is also much nicer looking.  So booyeah...the N-Gage would have done great if it wasn't for those darn Memory Cards for games and the damn 300 dollar price tag..but oh well. VIVA LA GAMEBOY ADVANCE!!
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2004, 07:26:04 PM »

Originally posted by: SgtShiversBen
If I want a custom ringer, I don't have to download some horrible ring tones of Disposition by TooL, I just hook my phone up to my computer and transfer it.  HOOWAH!! Disposition on my phone as my ringer.

Makes me wonder, is that legal?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2004, 07:52:09 PM »
"do you think the N5 can dent the PS3's armour if NINTENDO decided to stick with pure gaming machine in next round??? time will tell... beside in order to run a succesful business, you dont target what minority wants(hardcore pure gaming loyalist) you target the majority(mainstream who buys solely for the better specs)"

I think a pure gaming machine has a chance if marketed correctly.  If the only difference is a DVD player than yeah the gaming machine is going to look inferior.  However if the PS3 has tons of nifty features and gizmos it's going to cost more and if it costs a lot more than the N5 then the N5 has a solid chance.  Plus targeting the mainstream would be suicide for Nintendo because that would turn away their loyal fanbase and realistically they have no chance of beating Sony in the mainstream demographic.  The hardcore gamer route is the ideal route for them because they can build up a strong fanbase and make a profit doing so without Sony eating into their demographic.  The Cube seems to be targeted to the general public as a whole which I think is a mistake because it's ultimately spread itself too thin and isn't really popular with any one group (except maybe Nintendo fans).  Targeting the hardcore gamer specifically would probably be an ideal choice for the N5.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »
I agree, Ian Sane. The problem this generation is that the PS2 is so popular that so many games are released on it. If you're a really hardcore gamer, the PS2 is just too good to ignore. The hardocre audience is fine, but more niche titles must to be secured. And Nintendo should pay Treasure lots to make games for them.

If you look at th forums polls, you'll see lots of peopel here own a PS2 as well, but no-one owns only a GC and an X-Box: Nintendo fans see PS2 as a secondary console, the hardcore community as a whole sees the Cube as one.

Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm a tad tired...
Om mani padme hum.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2004, 01:00:30 AM »
Let's keep this on topic, people.  Windows vs. GBA and Next-Gen console discussion do not belong here.

I thought I'd add that although the NGage marketing system was a failure, serious (online) cell phone games are quite popular in Japan.  Cell phone gaming is a marketshare Nintendo loves to publicly ignore.  If Nintendo believes they can gain significant consumers by offering a phone/gaming system, I'm sure they would seriously consider it.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2004, 05:19:46 AM »
They're currently deploying WiFi-hotspots throughout Japan, which enable the GBA to go online and play with other players connected to the hotspot(s?).

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2004, 08:33:58 AM »
Yes, me having Disposition is legal because I own the CD (legally) and everything.  So no illegal stuff there going on :uts Lord of the Rings: Return of the King he bought off a street into a DVD player in the front seat so that I can watch it while driving while drinking a 40 oz alcoholic beverage also while smoking crack cocaine::  

P.S.  everything in colons is for fun
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2004, 01:39:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"do you think the N5 can dent the PS3's armour if NINTENDO decided to stick with pure gaming machine in next round??? time will tell... beside in order to run a succesful business, you dont target what minority wants(hardcore pure gaming loyalist) you target the majority(mainstream who buys solely for the better specs)"

I think a pure gaming machine has a chance if marketed correctly.  If the only difference is a DVD player than yeah the gaming machine is going to look inferior.  However if the PS3 has tons of nifty features and gizmos it's going to cost more and if it costs a lot more than the N5 then the N5 has a solid chance.  Plus targeting the mainstream would be suicide for Nintendo because that would turn away their loyal fanbase and realistically they have no chance of beating Sony in the mainstream demographic.  The hardcore gamer route is the ideal route for them because they can build up a strong fanbase and make a profit doing so without Sony eating into their demographic.  The Cube seems to be targeted to the general public as a whole which I think is a mistake because it's ultimately spread itself too thin and isn't really popular with any one group (except maybe Nintendo fans).  Targeting the hardcore gamer specifically would probably be an ideal choice for the N5.

no not really... NINTENDO should keep their hardcore base while appealing to mainstream... that should be the case....  its really hard to loose the hardcore crowed unless you did something to piss them off...  if NINTENDO should focus more on gaming machine then they should add features that we haven't seen before like the one that they are trying to do with NDS... in order for it to work, it should come out right out from the box and not do the GCN and GBA connectivity fiasco again.  thats the only thing i can think of gaining market with pure gaming device.  its kinda risky cuz if it fails, you dont want XBOX to gain another recognition for next time around...

even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2004, 11:58:39 PM »
While it is true that it is hard to piss off the hardcore crowd, but what sane company would do so? It is one thing to dissapoint Like Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion. People get over dissapointment. Look at NOAUS, over There my friends, is one pissed off customer base. No company should be treating any area like that. But it exists and thank god it only happens here.

not that adding features to a machine would directly anger the core customer base, but adding features would incariably change other variables like price, market perception. By increasing the casual proportion of your market share one might accidentally anger the hardcore. At this point you end up exchanging dependable customers with ones that are far less dependable while not gaining any market share.

One way to increase both the hardcore and the casual fan base is for Nintendo to work more closely with it's partners. In this generation Nintendo should have told Panasonic to release the Q to other terretories Even in a limited fashion would have a great publicity move if not a purely economic one. Cross adverting. IBM helps advertise GCs, Nintendo help advertise IBM. It was being done in Japan, but in a limited fasion along with that ATi sticker. Nintendo also needs to have a bigger market presence regardles of the actual market share. Xbox had survied due to one limitless pockets allowing them to project themselfs as a bigger player than they really were.

A theory I thought up of why Nintendo didn't release the Q any where else but Japan. It might have been that since the device was called the "Panasonic Q" or "Q", customers might have mistaken it for a coompeting console. Canabilising it's own market share. A simpl name change would have fixed this preceved problem. Something like "Nintendo Gamecube: Mod Q" or more generic "GCNQ". Of course maybe Nintendo didn't want to take the financal risk of eatting thier own market share and having to advertise this machine. We may never know.

With all that said and done how does that relate to the DS? Well Nintendo gets a fairly clean slate as to how to work the DS. They can mold the customer base into some thing that is more flexible with it's usual hardcore customers while allowing Nintendo to draw in new casual customers. Which in turn, by exposing these new people to a slightly diffenrent flavor of the Nintendo experience, would allow Nintendo to move them deeper into thier product range in hopes of converting some of them in to the hardcore catagory. Even if they don't go hardcore, once they move deeper into the product range they would be commited casuals meaning they like the system, they will buy the products found on the system, but they are not loyal. These guys are great for your current generation but don't nesscerely carry over to the next.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2004, 06:00:42 AM »

its really hard to loose the hardcore crowed unless you did something to piss them of
what you seem to forget is it's really easy to piss people off.

to use the music industry as an example, when small, independent bands get signed to major labels, they often alienate the fans that got them to that place by putting out more "radio-friendly" songs.  (you know the kind.  the songs that last 3:30 each and have the catchy riff and an easily sung chorus.)  then, when the band's second-major label release bombs, and they get dropped from their record label, they're left with a very small following.  they pissed off their original fans, and their second set (albeit the larger set) forgot about them as soon as the next new thing came around.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2004, 10:39:25 AM »
"One way to increase both the hardcore and the casual fan base is for Nintendo to work more closely with it's partners. In this generation Nintendo should have told Panasonic to release the Q to other terretories Even in a limited fashion would have a great publicity move if not a purely economic one. Cross adverting. IBM helps advertise GCs, Nintendo help advertise IBM. It was being done in Japan, but in a limited fasion along with that ATi sticker."

I'll take the Panasonic Q idea even farther.  Why doesn't Nintendo license the technology of the their consoles to non-competing electronic companies?  So Panasonic doesn't make an N5 that plays DVDs they make it so that some of their DVD player models play N5 games.  If other electronics companies want to pay to add N5 playback to their devices they can (well aside from Sony of course).  Not only does it make N5 seem like more of a standard than just a game console it's a strategy that Sony and MS could never quite copy because they compete with companies like Panasonic, Toshiba, etc and thus would never allow their console technology to be used in competitor's electronics.

The same idea can be used for the GBA and DS as well.  Some of you want PDA or cel phone technology in the DS.  Well why doesn't Nintendo release their own standalone DS and also allow cel phone companies to pay to incorporate that technology into their phones or PDA companies to add it to their PDAs?  The REAL money is made by software anyway so Nintendo still gets all the third party licensing fees.  Plus the whole strategy works as a trojan horse.  People buy a DVD player or cel phone and end up bringing a Nintendo console into their home as well.  This increases the userbase significantly.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2004, 10:52:53 AM »
two words:  quality control.

it would be near-impossible for nintendo to test all these different models.  in theory, every model should work with every game due to the same basic hardware involved.  however, i find it highly unlikely that that would be the case.  you'd have problems with game A not working with model B and it would be a mess.  then nintendo would be no better than sony.  it would be very similar to running a computer on a pc.  developers would have to start developing games to make sure they would work with every variation of the hardware, therefore not utilizing the hardware to the fullest on any version.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2004, 11:58:35 AM »
"two words: quality control.  it would be near-impossible for nintendo to test all these different models."

Why would Nintendo have to test any of the other models beyond their own?  If some crappy electronics company can't get the N5 playback to work right well that's their problem.  I mean I don't expect every DVD player model in the world to work perfectly.  As long as the standalone unit by Nintendo can run every game then there's no problem.

And this idea would not result in a situation similar to running PC games.  PCs have TONS of variables with not just different parts but different specs even.  Obviously with something like this the memory, CPU, disc drive speed, etc would all be standardized.  There wouldn't be the same variables as with a PC.  They probably would even make the physical parts standard.  Developers would design their games for the standalone unit and assume that the other devices the support N5 playback would work correctly.

How is this really any different than third party controllers or memory cards?  Developers don't design their games to work with every memory card.  If it doesn't work with Interact's card then it's because Interact f*cked up.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2004, 04:32:08 AM »
I'd even go as far as to allow Sony and MS to license it. However, Nintendo would always develop with their own hardware as reference and their games are BIG sellers. That means if Sony and MS wanted the Nintendo games to work with the rest of the system, they'd have to adopt parts of what Nintendo offers. And because the licensees don't get money from games sold, they would open up the market for nintendo while only slightly harming their profits. Because of the licensing, Nintendo would have the cheapest machine, either way (can sell at loss). However, I have doubts that e.g. Sony could integrate N5 hardware into the PS3, given the completely different architectures (but at least they could boast "can play Nintendo games"...).

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2004, 05:43:23 AM »

I'd even go as far as to allow Sony and MS to license it.
wouldn't that effectively turn nintendo into a third party developer?  how many people are going to drop $200 on nintendo's console when they can drop an extra $100 and get a system that can play ps3 or xbox2 games as well?  there's little incentive to get the nintendo console unless those are the only games you're interested in playing.  plus, i imagine controller compatibility would be an issue.  sony/ms would either have to allow nintendo's controller to plug into it's system or everyone would have to have very similar controllers.  (that, or all developers would have to allow for complete customization for controls.)

again, this thread has gotten off topic.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2004, 10:44:24 AM »
"wouldn't that effectively turn nintendo into a third party developer?"

Exactly, which is not the intent of my idea.  The goal of my idea is to increase the Nintendo userbase and make Nintendo a stronger name with the eventual goal of them being number one.  Sony and MS have to be screwed by this or there's no point.  All it would do is strengthen the competition's userbases if they could play Nintendo games.  Why would anyone even make games for Nintendo consoles if you could play them on the PS3?  They would just make PS3 games.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2004, 01:04:02 AM »
kingvudu: No. If they were third-party devs, they'd have to pay license fees to the console maker. In our scenario here they wouldn't pay anybody license fees and would even get these fees from other third parties.
Also, why develop for the N5 if the PS3 can play N5 games anyway? Well, how about having a larger userbase? A game written for the PS3 would be playable on a PS3, a game written for the N5 would be playable on the N5, the PS3 and any other licensee's devices. Now, if we imagine MS would license that as well (not happening, Microsoft wants a monopoly), you could reach N5, PS3, licensee's devices' and XB2 owners with one version of the game. And Nintendo would reap the license fees for all three platforms (MS and Sony would get zero, since they're licensees like everybody else and not entitled to any special treatment, if they want to benefit from those they should buy Nintendo stock).
And that's why neither Sony nor MS would license the technology, they'd kill their own software sales.