Author Topic: A Friendly Reminder About Copyright Violations  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
A Friendly Reminder About Copyright Violations
« on: May 27, 2004, 06:04:26 PM »
As most of you should probably know, PGC doesn't allow us to do "mildly illegal" stuff like post magazine scans in the forums. It's not very fun of them, but they do have a reason. Duh, it's illegal, of course. That usually doesn't seem to matter on the internet, but check this out.

RPGamer's "Japandemonium" column.

Perhaps one of the biggest news bits of Japanese gaming recently is the arrest of the owner of the extremely popular gaming site, Game Online. He was arrested in Fukuoka on charges of copyright violation. Apparently, a number of companies, including RPG developer juggernaut Square Enix, discovered illegal screenshots on the site. Of the thousands of screenshots available on the site, hundreds of them were illegally scanned and taken from other gaming sites and magazines.

So umm... yeah. I know it's not exactly the same thing as posting stuff in the forum, but it makes for a good reminder.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: A Friendly Reminder About Copyright Violations
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:18:14 PM »
We're not allowed to directly link to images anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem.  Also if someone is hosting "stolen" images themselves and linking to them on the boards, wouldn't they be the one at fault and not PGC?  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!