Author Topic: Adult content in videogames bordering on exploitation of disasters  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Ocarina Blue

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Adult content in videogames bordering on exploitation of disasters
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 12:10:22 AM »
I really have no probelm with violent games myself, but I feel insensitivity is another issue. Movies can have material as violent as they want - and it will always be more life-like than the violence in games - but if a movie has a theme that is very insenitive - like supporting the holocoust or something like that - no cinemas will want to play it. 'Media censoring' of crap like religion etcetera is one thing, needlessly bringing up crap that will obvioulsly offend a large number of people is another,

C&C Generals had such a giant propaganda/racist slant it put a bad taste in mouth, and I really just have no will to play it.

8) Boogie  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Adult content in videogames bordering on exploitation of disasters
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 12:31:56 PM »
There's a fine line between exploiting disasters and honest commentary on the current political situation, though. I think it's horrible that up until recently developers have shied away from putting violence, swearing, and controversial issues in their games for fear of backlash. Videogaming is another form of entertainment and shouldn't be restricted any more than its brethren. That doesn't mean I want developers to put violence, swearing, and controversial issues in their games if it will be just for the sake of having them- I'd prefer they have some relevance, and I'm happy when a developer has the balls to actually do that. It's about time we had games with some social commentary- books, movies, and music have been doing it for decades, but it still seems "taboo" in games, and that's not going to change unless some developers start breaking the mold.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill