Author Topic: Advertising the GC and 'N5'-my idea  (Read 1754 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Advertising the GC and 'N5'-my idea
« on: October 22, 2003, 07:20:26 AM »
  The huge trend here in the U.S. is retro -sports jerseys and VH1 'The 80's strike back' along with 'it came from the 70's'.  People seem to be in love with things they grew up with.  I know i watch that show on the '80's all the time.  Now, Nintendos been around since the early 80's.  Why not capture the nostalgia of the 80's in their ads.?  They're the only company of the 3 that can do it, and it would slyly put Nintendo in the 'cool' retro mode, without being really cool.  Kind of the quirky, nerdy cool.  Make the Zelda ads like the old one-"which way to go?", showing the new Zelda.  I think they could really exploit this trend.  Actually, its more than a trend now, as retro has been going on for awhile .  But now, with the old NFL jerseys popping up all over, the old Jordans may make a comeback, i just see a potential goldmine.  Maybe collaberate with VH1 for a few commercials.  Get the Beastie Boys, champions of oldschool, to promote a little.  And this will bring in the casual fan who remembers the name Nintendo.  Even my cousin, who is 12, remembers Nintendo from when he was younger because he had a hand me down NES that his brother gave him.  A lot of younger people played the NES and SNES, so i think it would work all around.  And, make a commercial with 80's style people, feathered hair and all, playing SMB, and then have the new game blow them away.  Make it real cheesy, like the 80's ads.  Well, i'm out of ideas for now, but you see where i'm going.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Advertising the GC and 'N5'-my idea
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 12:12:08 PM »
That's a cool idea (I love VH1), but I don't know how well it'd hit off, mainstream-wise, for teens and stuff.  Awesome idea though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline The Blue Baron

• View Profile
RE: Advertising the GC and 'N5'-my idea
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 01:35:02 PM »
yeah i agree thats a really good idea but i think that if nintendo wants to succeed with the N5 or any other console they need to attract as large of an audience as possible.  but then again, your idea may work big time.
"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
David Letterman.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 07:43:05 PM »
Yeah, that's DEFINATELY a good idea.  Nintendo already has the older market in the bag if you ask me, but by showing how old Nintendo truly is, they can definately win back the young if they think that Nintendo is only for the older people.  (strange logic, but I think it's true)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 10:15:37 PM »
wow i like ignored this thread for a while...i shouldnt have...the omen makes some great posts. there was one post you made this year that was awesome... i don't rmemeber which one it was...but yeah
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 10:18:24 PM »
Grey: Yup, kids always want to be like adults, that's why they play violent games.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 07:59:27 AM »
It seems a lot of people are ignoring this thread  But i really think nintendo can use their name, history and familiarity to their advantage.  Right now, the way Xbox and PS2 are advertised, its made a detriment.

ThePerm: Thanks.  I think the thread youre thinking of was the 'Nintendo fans reach cult status?'  or something like that.  Brought a teary eye to all of us Nintendo-ites.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates