Author Topic: A great comic about the US and Scandinavia  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Tobbebobbe

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
A great comic about the US and Scandinavia
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
http://satwcomic.com/anything-but-that

It's just as fun as it is true!

And look at this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/f4qt8i.jpg

"M" is like "18" in Europe, but DoA Paradise only got "12" (Europe also has "16" between that)! Are Americans afraid of sex in their games?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:20:31 PM by Tobbebobbe »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: A great comic about the US and Scandinavia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:50:47 PM »
so your saying you want more penis in your video games?

Offline Tobbebobbe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »
so your saying you want more penis in your video games?

I'm saying the US can't handle sex in their videogames and the world laugh at them for that.

But if you put guns and violence in games and sell them in the US, you're guaranteed a success.

Violence kills people. Sex creates people.

So what's worst for kids? Violence or sex?

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=205322
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:54:26 AM by Tobbebobbe »

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
I got a lot of looks from people because of my swearing when I was in America. My Mum was almost deported from Japan for her nose blowing. Different countries have different values, who'd have thought?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Tobbebobbe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
I got a lot of looks from people because of my swearing when I was in America. My Mum was almost deported from Japan for her nose blowing. Different countries have different values, who'd have thought?

It's just that US has some shitty values, most based on religious ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
This Tobbebobbe is a silver tongued charmer...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »
My games could use a few less dicks, actually.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
I don't think its the media that's the problem but rather over-reactionary parents who have large mouths.
They protest over the violence in games too. Its just the actual majority drowns them out when it comes to guns and violence. When it comes to sex, the majority can take it or leave it. So the loud mouths are the only ones saying anything.

Nudity is only a skin, and the act of sex generally doesn't progress the action of a game. If you switch shooting people with sleeping with people, well, that doesn't seem like much of a game to me.

The history of the world is littered with stories of horrific combat and war. Its not often you hear tales of national love conquests... France invaded England today for a giant love-in. Many orgasms were had. England was miffed though when she woke to find France left without saying goodbye the next morning.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »

It's just that US has some shitty values, most based on religious ****.

hasty generalization....the vocal minority has all the power in the country in either direction, most don't care...rightfully so.

where exactly are you from Tobbebobbe? I hear that sort of talk repeated so much, its almost as if you didn't come up with it yourself....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
This doesn't work for games but it does work for any non-animated film or TV show.  In a movie the violence is simulated.  They aren't actually killing someone.  But the nudity is real.  That's actually a naked person on the screen.  Swearing is also real.  If someone swears in a movie that a real uttering of a swear word

Look at it from the perspective of a parent that wishes to keep their child fairly innocent as long as possible.  They don't feel their kids need to know about sex yet or know swear words.  They don't want them to see disturbing imagery like blood and gore or typical scary horror film stuff that will cause nightmares.  So when you see a pair of tits in a movie that's a real pair of tits.  That kid has been exposed to nudity for real.  When someone swears in a movie that kids hears the swear for real.  It's essentially no different then if they saw someone expose themselves and swear in person.  Now in videogames that's not a real pair of tits so it isn't quite the same thing.  But most people don't get the details of what they're outraged by so they associate them as identical.

One thing to note about violence in American movies or videogames, no parents group is usually cool with graphic depictions of violence in a kid-focused product.  There is a difference between a movie character killing guys left and right with guys just falling over dead and showing graphic gore where the brains are flying out the back of the victim's head.  You don't see that on network TV or in PG rated movies.

The difference comes when you have the parent who decides they're going to do their best to not let their kids have access to certain content (my parents previewed films they felt might be objectionable before letting me watch them) and the crazies who decide that no one is allowed to have any R-rated content.  There is a big difference between raising your own kids the way you feel is right and demanding the rest of the world does the job for you.

Turning Contra into Probotector seems a whole lot stupider to me than censoring nudity.  It's just little guys on the screen flashing away from the player shoots him.  It's all clearly in self-defence since those same enemies are trying to kill him, the visual effect is identical whether it be little men or robots and no one is actually getting hurt because it's all simulated.  Or how about the Ninja Turtles being renamed the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles because ninjas are apparently bad.  Every culture has their stupid censorship that makes no sense to another culture.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
yeah, this isn't the 70s or 80s or early 90s either...kids shows today are way too tame. To the point of being bland and disgusting.

yeah the brits with hero turtles...haha. Had to take away Michelangelo's Nunchaku....cus their terrifying.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:59:13 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:18 AM »

And then Kotaku picked up Infernal Monkey's original story.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Infernal is a major news reporter now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »
I don't understand why you guys are complaining. Don't you know that the more taboo you make something, the cooler it is? Why do you think American women become so horny when they leave the states? ****, even if they don't leave the states, just leave their city.

Now would I like to see an orange juice commercial that inexplicably has a topless women? Of course, but I'm not going to write my representative.

...Although...
black fairy tales are better at sports