Author Topic: Adventures in Utter Incompetence from Amazon.com  (Read 7544 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in Utter Incompetence from Amazon.com
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 12:44:52 AM »
I usually don't care to resurrect one of my old threads long after they're complete, but I'm in the midst of a 2 week long war with Amazon.com and UPS that has me so upset at the moment that I literally can't sleep and that's just not healthy.  I figure maybe if I just rant for a moment maybe I can get it out of my system and finally get some sleep.

Alright, here goes: as you folks may be aware from my postings over the last 3 weeks or so, I've really been getting into the Mass Effect games lately, especially Mass Effect 2.  2 weeks ago after falling in love with the Mass Effect universe via the first game, I went ahead and ordered the three Mass Effect books on audio CD (I just don't have the time these days to read novels, and it's so much more pleasant to sleep at night with a good audiobook playing).  I've previously been on good terms with Amazon, so I filled out my order and sent it out standard shipping.  Amazon sent me an email later that day telling me that the package had shipped and to expect it to arrive the following Monday (it shipped on a Thursday).

That was the last I ever heard of my package.  Amazon never updated my package's tracking info and neither did UPS.  The following week I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with both companies, discovering that both were quite eager to blame the other for this bit of idiocy.  UPS told me that they were expecting the package to be delivered TO THEM in Florida near my home, and they had never received it.  Amazon told me that they had shipped out the package from their warehouses in Kentucky that Thursday when I ordered it.  The lady I initially spoke to was nice and refunded my shipping fee, telling me that UPS must have just screwed-up and to expect the package sometime in the next few days.

Several days pass by, and still no package.  I called Amazon again, who told me that if the package didn't arrive by the 28th to call them and that they would send a replacement package with free One Day shipping to make amends.  This is where this story gets interesting, and it's also sadly where my relationship with Amazon.com is probably at an end: I checked my email yesterday at work just as a matter of course, and saw that Amazon had sent me an email telling me that the package had been returned to them as undeliverable and that a refund was pending.  I immediately called up the customer service line to find out what the hell was going on, and to find out what was going on with my replacement package.  I was informed that no replacement package was coming, and that I'd need to fund the shipping for a new package with my own money.  Yeah, I saw what was going on there: Amazon was trying to get away with not paying for the One Day Shipping, scamming me in the process.  This may come as a shock to you folks given the sometimes abrasive nature of my internet persona, but I'm not naturally a very aggressive person and as a former customer service rep myself I'm usually sympathetic to those who still have to deal with it.  I unfortunately had to lay into the customer service lady rather hard, but in the end I was awarded a certificate worth the value of the One Day Shipping (well, not quite but it was close enough that I considered it reasonable).

Out of respect for the history I've had with Amazon, I re-ordered those 2 Mass Effect audiobooks again with the One Day Shipping to go to my work.  I ordered them at around 11 AM yesterday morning.  It's now 12:41 AM EST, and as of this posting so far Amazon's tracking info only says they've shipped it out and UPS's still says they're waiting to receive it.  I have a nasty feeling that history's about to repeat itself, and if it does I am DONE with Amazon.com.  When people ask me why I have such a problem ordering online, it's crap like this that's the reason.  I don't trust online shopping.  I don't trust the retailers, and I especially don't trust the delivery companies, all of whom I've had problems with in the past.  I don't know what's happened to Amazon lately, because I once trusted them practically implicitly since I had had so few problems with them.  But if Amazon's become so incompetent as to screw up my orders twice in a row, then I don't see what reason I would have to trust anyone else with my internet shopping.  Hopefully, UPS will follow through on their end of the transaction this time and that won't be necessary.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 12:59:56 AM »
That some pretty bad luck, not that bad luck is pretty. I have yet encounter any issues with ordering online regardless of distance or value of the item or it's speciality, but that's just me.

Burned by the brown shirts (Again?). Any chance they can deliver via blue shirts? I might be slower, but hell, when was the last time they fucked up.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 01:14:56 AM »
That some pretty bad luck, not that bad luck is pretty. I have yet encounter any issues with ordering online regardless of distance or value of the item or it's speciality, but that's just me.

Burned by the brown shirts (Again?). Any chance they can deliver via blue shirts? I might be slower, but hell, when was the last time they ****ed up.

Well, the folks who were so difficult to work with last time were Fed Ex, but they weren't anywhere near as bad.  My only problem with them was being pretty damn slow and difficult to work with arranging a pick-up.  Most of the time, I knew where my package was and so did they.  The amazon thing was with UPS, a company I've never liked and have had issues with before.  If I can help it, I'd rather have anyone other than them delivering my packages (yes, even Fed Ex) but they're the only option Amazon uses.  I find it amazing that I can shop at a relatively small online shop like TRSI (The Right Stuf International, an online anime retailer and distributor who I have never had issues with), and they will actually ask you who you want delivering it...but a major online site like Amazon offers no such options.

The good news, though, is that in the time it took me to write out that long rant above, UPS finally updated my tracking info for this new package so it's actually in their system and moving across country.  Unless they get pissy about delivering to my workplace, I don't foresee any more issues from them on this package (though it is UPS, so you never know).  I am concerned about the 3rd Mass Effect audiobook on order (Retribution, which as of this posting is still on pre-order but should be shipping out in the next few days), which is going out standard shipping soon.  For now, though, I'll take solace in something actually working right in this whole ordeal.  I'm just really disappointed in Amazon coming out of this.  Whatever happened to that first package may or may not have been their fault, but in the end its fate was their responsibility and they blew it.  When it came time for them to take responsibility, they shirked it at every opportunity and even tried to cheat me when I tried to follow their own instructions.  I really don't know what I'm going to do about them when it comes to future purchases.  It's not like you can find this stuff in retail, where I prefer to shop.  No one seems to carry these audiobooks except online, and even that's spotty.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:22:51 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 02:20:17 PM »
THIS. This is why I don't use Amazon. I've used eBay ONCE and had good luck. I've used Amazon ONCE and had good luck, but I am NOT about to make a habit out of it. I don't order anything from Best Buy.com anymore because of what they've put me through in the past, although, to be fair, THAT was the USPS' fault. They move at the speed of smell.

Anyway, I just have retailer stores in town order anything I want that they don't have, and don't give it a second thought. The only online store my wife and I frequent is Barnes & Nobel, who used to offer free shipping. They don't anymore, so that ship has sailed.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
I have an issue, which is a bit weird but more to do with how ebay and everyone else is passing the buck around:

A year ago i bought a pair of headphones, which come with a 24 month warranty on them, which the seller stated they had on them.

The headphone has began to split, so i contacted the seller. No answer.
So i contact the official UK reseller. Go to the head office, in Sweden. They'll help.
So i contact the Swedish head office. Sorry, no warranty on items on ebay.
So i phone ebay, they wont raise a case for "item not as reported" as its outside their 45 day period.
So i contact paypal, no answer.
So i phone the credit card company and raise a dispute with them. And it's now ongoing.

So.. i'm off to buy a new pair of headphones from the official UK reseller.

eBay doesn't mean a "better" experience.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »
Interesting thread, I find it so silly how some hate FedEx over UPS or vice versa. As someone who works with shipping packages the reliability of both are roughly the same, USPS tends to lose packages the most percentage wise, especially overseas packages. Signature being required is the same for UPS and FedEx, it is up to the discretion of the sender whether to include it or not. If a package does not have signature and is being sent to an area where known thefts have occurred both companies may require it depending on the driver's discretion (the driver is responsible if it does get stolen).

There was massive flooding during late July and that contributed to A LOT of delayed packages because the trains could not travel because of flooding. We received a ton of complaints regarding it, but there is really nothing anyone could do.

Anyway just thought I'd clear up some of the opinion given here, percentage wise UPS and FedEx are vastly more efficient in their delivery process then USPS who still uses very archaic systems, including a tracking system that is pathetically outdated. Signatures and things like that are more the retailer's call then UPS or FedEx except for the mentioned exception.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
Interesting thread, I find it so silly how some hate FedEx over UPS or vice versa. As someone who works with shipping packages the reliability of both are roughly the same, USPS tends to lose packages the most percentage wise, especially overseas packages. Signature being required is the same for UPS and FedEx, it is up to the discretion of the sender whether to include it or not. If a package does not have signature and is being sent to an area where known thefts have occurred both companies may require it depending on the driver's discretion (the driver is responsible if it does get stolen).

There was massive flooding during late July and that contributed to A LOT of delayed packages because the trains could not travel because of flooding. We received a ton of complaints regarding it, but there is really nothing anyone could do.

Anyway just thought I'd clear up some of the opinion given here, percentage wise UPS and FedEx are vastly more efficient in their delivery process then USPS who still uses very archaic systems, including a tracking system that is pathetically outdated. Signatures and things like that are more the retailer's call then UPS or FedEx except for the mentioned exception.

But I'm sure USPS moves a multitude of more mail and packages than either Fed-X or UPS individually (or possibly combined?).

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

Maybe so, but my experience is that USPS ends up offering a vastly better service from a user perspective, especially in recent years (the quality of service has gone up).  The main advantage of UPS seems to be that it's cheaper (and thus retailers love it).

As has been mentioned earlier, much of this is because postal services (US or otherwise), with their widespread physical presence, simply have a nicer model for casual users, because unlike UPS/Fedex/etc, they actually have an office nearby most people (within easy walking distance of every place I've ever lived -- and that's a lot of places).