Author Topic: Ahh! My Hard Drive!  (Read 3298 times)

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Ahh! My Hard Drive!
« on: July 31, 2008, 12:05:42 AM »
I know, I know, "I should have backed it up".  I know, I know, "I should have got the extended warranty".  Problem is, I didn't, and now 2 years of purchased music, personally recorded music, lyrics, and all sorts of pictures are probably gone forever (awaiting data recovery).

That said, does anyone else have a similar experience?  Who has the worst crash story?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.

--> For the record, the internal drive that failed was on an Imac, and this was the first Mac I've ever purchased (Never had a hard drive crash on a PC).
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Ahh! My Hard Drive!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:37 AM »
Macs are a lot less prone to software based problems, but hardware issues are just as prevalent because they use the same hardware as PCs. My parents had an eMac that's hard drive died last year, they were planning on replacing it at the time but since they had no backup they lost a lot of stuff.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:20 AM »
Thankfully. data recovery labs aren't that expensive anymore. Send it off to a clean room for under a grand. This is someone we've used a few times in the past. http://www.gillware.com/

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:54:20 AM »
What about the pr0n?   :'(
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »
Thankfully. data recovery labs aren't that expensive anymore. Send it off to a clean room for under a grand. This is someone we've used a few times in the past. http://www.gillware.com/

Cool, thx!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
I had a 40gb hard drive that died in the years that it wasnt being used. I didn't lose anything i hadn't made copies of though. The bios and windows just ignore it like a vegetable on the plate for a child.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:44:49 AM »
Inactive hard drives need to be turned on and spun up once in a while to keep them alive.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
That settles it. I have a 40gig (and a 20gig) doorstop!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
My hard drive on my work computer crashed a year ago and had to redo a month's payroll for all of our clients in one night because it crashed on a monday and we have to have payroll out by tuesday.  So I was up well past midnight and then had to do payroll on my mother's laptop until the new hard drive came in
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »
My hard drive on my work computer crashed a year ago and had to redo a month's payroll for all of our clients in one night because it crashed on a monday and we have to have payroll out by tuesday.  So I was up well past midnight and then had to do payroll on my mother's laptop until the new hard drive came in

Ouch!!  I hope they gave you a new car for that one!!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
Yeah, I do empathise (its S, shut up US English dictionary) with the situation. I'm in this "I don't backup often enough" group, and I'm starting to collect redundant hard drives. Haven't had one fail on me yet (but I've haven't owner a Mac either).

I've been throwing around this idea in my head to make an app that will make it as easy as possible to backup my data. I'll keep you posted if it goes anywhere. i don't do Linux or OSX development anymore, just an advanced warning