Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 548313 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1975 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »
Add me to the short list of people with a 3DS, I got one about ten days ago I think. I was going to buy an original DS since the Wii is starting to wind down, and also because I've been wanting to play some RPGs but there isn't much worthwhile in that category on the Wii but the DS seems swimming in them. But after watching E3 and seeing games like Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3DS, and Kid Icarus, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist buying a 3DS when those games hit. So I then started thinking, why should I buy a DS if I'm just going to get a 3DS at the end of the year? It is expensive, but I don't anticipate a price drop soon and so I'd end up spending more anyway if I got a DS first.

I could justify the cost since for me, the system is two handhelds in one. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought one now, and I'm not sure when I would have if the price remains the same for a while. I've already bought a few DS games that I found on sale so you could say I got one to play DS games, which might seem a little strange. It may be a while before I get any actual 3DS games, since the current lineup doesn't particularly interest me, and the few that do aren't worth the $40 price tag to me.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 27, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
Add me to the short list of people with a 3DS, I got one about ten days ago I think. I was going to buy an original DS since the Wii is starting to wind down, and also because I've been wanting to play some RPGs but there isn't much worthwhile in that category on the Wii but the DS seems swimming in them. But after watching E3 and seeing games like Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D, Mario Kart 3DS, and Kid Icarus, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist buying a 3DS when those games hit. So I then started thinking, why should I buy a DS if I'm just going to get a 3DS at the end of the year? It is expensive, but I don't anticipate a price drop soon and so I'd end up spending more anyway if I got a DS first.

I could justify the cost since for me, the system is two handhelds in one. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought one now, and I'm not sure when I would have if the price remains the same for a while. I've already bought a few DS games that I found on sale so you could say I got one to play DS games, which might seem a little strange. It may be a while before I get any actual 3DS games, since the current lineup doesn't particularly interest me, and the few that do aren't worth the $40 price tag to me.
Welcome aboard.  Don't forget to grab Excitebike before it isn't free.  Even if you don't like the game playing it for a bit just to see how they handled it is neat.  Plus you have FaceRaiders and Find Mii.  Not retail games  but, still fun.  I was looking at the time spent on my 3DS and the list goes Super Princess Peach, SSFIV, Zelda: Spirit Tracks (A little surprised on this one), and Layton: PB so, your not alone on using it to play DS games.  The only problem is it doesn't play GBA games :P  So I'm using my DS Lite or Phat for that, My son know owns the DS Lite and he gets upset when you have it and he can't play Dora. (He also gets upset when he uses all the vibe ability in Super Princess Peach so you have to find enemies to eat...)

Oh also download the Trailer for Luigi Mansion and Kid Icarus.  I enjoyed the Kid Icarus one.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: July 02, 2011, 01:34:51 AM »
Hey with street pass do I have to go into each game to allow the function?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 02, 2011, 03:40:17 AM »
No. Just close the system.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 02, 2011, 07:16:37 AM »
Hey with street pass do I have to go into each game to allow the function?
Don't let him confuse you.  Yes, initially you have to setup StreetPass for each game.  Even the built in ones.  It makes a special little save and then your ready to go and its just closing your system. 

Note: Streetpass doesn't work while playing DS Games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: July 02, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
So street pass doesn't work while playing a 3DS game either?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 02, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
Only DS Games.  Everything else it works on.  Though DSiWare I can't verify because I don't have any.  As long as the wireless is on an it says Streetpass on the indicator its working
  I don't now if they cleared this up in the last patch but it also doesn't work when you are connected to the internet because it is using the wireless.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 03, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »
Only DS Games.  Everything else it works on.  Though DSiWare I can't verify because I don't have any.  As long as the wireless is on an it says Streetpass on the indicator its working
  I don't now if they cleared this up in the last patch but it also doesn't work when you are connected to the internet because it is using the wireless.

DSiWare doesn't work as well since the 3DS goes into DSi emulation mode for any DS/DSi game or function.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »
I traded in/sold a bunch of old games that I didn't want anymore and now I have about $120 credit/cash to waste on videogames. I contemplated putting it towards a 3DS because I don't know what else to do with the credit. I'm still undecided. My alternative is getting Lost in Shadow and The Crystal Bearers but I'd have some left over which I supposed I could just hold off on until Skyward Sword comes out.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »
I traded in/sold a bunch of old games that I didn't want anymore and now I have about $120 credit/cash to waste on videogames. I contemplated putting it towards a 3DS because I don't know what else to do with the credit. I'm still undecided. My alternative is getting Lost in Shadow and The Crystal Bearers but I'd have some left over which I supposed I could just hold off on until Skyward Sword comes out.

If you are any kind of handheld gamer, I say pick up a 3DS with that credit.  The only reason not to is if you have absolutely NO INTEREST in the current roster of 3DS games OR DS games.  Otherwise, dude, thats only $130 your paying for a 3DS (and if you have a DS, trade that bastard in to shave even more off the price)
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 04, 2011, 11:14:25 AM »
The only thing that interests me at the moment is Ocarina of Time 3D which is the game I would get if I already had a 3DS, but it's not something I necessarily would buy a 3DS for. I have multiple copies of Ocarina of Time. I did get to play it on 3DS and it looks really good in 3D. Just not sure it looks $40 good.

I have a DSi, but I plan on keeping it since I don't like how DS games look on 3DS. I wouldn't even be considering getting 3DS if I didn't have the credit. It was the same reason I bought PSP a couple years ago.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 06, 2011, 09:31:31 PM »
The only reason I could justify buying a 3DS is because I don't own a DS, so for me there is a huge library of current DS games plus all of the upcoming 3DS titles. Since you already have a DS, I would say to hold off buying a 3DS until later, when whichever of the upcoming games comes out that you really want. Unless you don't think you'll have enough money for a 3DS and games at that point, then buy the system now.

I'd just buy those two games you want. That should leave you with about $80 which you can save for Zelda Skyward Sword and put the rest towards another game you want that is coming out soon.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 07, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
I was pretty unimpressed with my 3DS purchase until the eShop update, but between the DSiWare stuff (which you already have access to) and the new Virtual Console I think the purchase is finally starting to justify itself. Adrock, my advice is to wait a few more weeks and see what comes out for the VC. If it continues to add quality games at its current rate (and you don't own said games already) I think the purchase will be worth it. Otherwise, you can wait until the end of the year or later, when retail games finally start coming out for the thing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
Even though I play with 3D off and put it in the charge cradle every night, I'm still running out the battery on mine. I'm playing the hell out of it, and I still have two full retail games I haven't even booted up yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:25 AM »
Even though I play with 3D off and put it in the charge cradle every night, I'm still running out the battery on mine. I'm playing the hell out of it, and I still have two full retail games I haven't even booted up yet.
You might want to consider the Nyko battery upgrade.  Its $30 with its own charging cradle.  Mine gets used but not that much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 13, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Nah, it's not that much of a problem. I wasn't complaining about the battery so much as I was emphasizing how much I've been playing it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 13, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
Nah, it's not that much of a problem. I wasn't complaining about the battery so much as I was emphasizing how much I've been playing it.
I know you weren't but you be one of the few who find true benefit from it.  I actually like how it changes the back to the different finish and I'm not as cramped.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1992 on: July 15, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »
After months of being totally broke I finally got my first drop of cash and so far all I've bought was a 3DS (cosmo black). I was in a jealous rage over my girlfriend having access to Netflix and being able to go out to collect Street Passes (in NYC there are so many if you go to the right places and she hasn't attended any meetups). I bought Street Fighter months ago so that's what I'm playing for now and I transferred some of my DSiWare titles like Cave Story, Shantae and Mighty Flip Champs over. I may transfer over Link's Awakening from her system if she doesn't want to play it. Since there aren't any 3DS titles I'm really itching to play I'm going to catch up on DS titles like Dragon Quest VI and Okamiden. I look forward to playing GameBoy classics I might have owned in the past, but for now I'm just charging it up.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:50 PM »
I now own nine 3DS retail games, in addition to my still owning every available VC game. What the hell is wrong with me?

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1994 on: July 19, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
Considering that there are less than 40 3DS retail games out (at least according to Nintendo's site), there is saying something.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: July 20, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »
What are those nine games? I can think of only three that interest me, and they are all from Nintendo.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1996 on: July 20, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
If you are into the LEGO games (which are pretty fun IMO), then LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars might be good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:56 AM »
What are those nine games? I can think of only three that interest me, and they are all from Nintendo.

Pilotwings Resort
Ridge Racer 3D
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Madden NFL Football
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Steel Diver
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
Samurai Warriors Chronicles

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1998 on: July 20, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
Did you really want a 3DS football game? From what I read in reviews, it was good but extremely barebones with almost no modes besides a season mode.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:47 AM »
That's an accurate description of the game's content. And I can't even argue that I was desperate for games, since I bought four other games on day one. I like it, but I probably shouldn't have paid $40 for it. It really pisses me off that Madden 12 isn't coming to the 3DS, though. I'd totally buy multiple versions of it this year with Peyton Hillis on the cover.

J.P. Corbran