Author Topic: Good news/bad news college related  (Read 1818 times)

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Good news/bad news college related
« on: December 05, 2016, 05:38:11 PM »
Good news first. My university and loan provider have a payment plan/funding option that allows me to finish school finally. I am 2 semesters away from graduating but I ran out of money. Anyways I had to apply for a program that basically lets me borrow more money to keep going.
The bad news, the reason I ran out of money is I hit my loan limit. So borrowing more to finish is very scary, especially with an incoming administration that is very vocally not in favor of higher education. Or the media, my career field.

So I am both excited and nervous at the prospect of maybe finally finishing school and branching out in my career. Except now is not the best time to be pursuing a career in journalism. Well I thought I was talking myself into a good mood and it back fired. Thanks a lot internet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Good news/bad news college related
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
just remember 2 semesters in only a year. Or two 6 month periods in 2 years. However, you want to do it. I graduated 8 years ago, and am still paying of my last semester.  Fortunately, College wasn't as expensive in 2007. I got like 2-3 years left of loan payment.

As far as jobs, things could be really good or really bad. I didn't study journalism, but it's always been an interest. Keep in mind the majority of news pundits do not have journalism degrees. Having one could be something that makes you stand out. If I could work out the logistics, it'd be great to do something on Youtube. With the switch coming out, it might be a good tool for making videos.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Good news/bad news college related
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Well it's weird my school does 12 week semesters so they have 4 terms in a year. But that's not important. However I am now being informed I reached my aggregate loan limit so they might have been mistaken and I might not be able to borrow more to finish. I am confused but it's always been confusing how this stuff works.

As for cost, my school is a private university and they are not cheap. I know most journalists don't have degrees, but I needed to at least be in school and take the classes, learn the stuff. I am doing it now, I work for a local newspaper and I worked for a TV station before that. I could go back into TV if I wanted to but print is so much less stressful and more personal.

I am seriously thinking of doing more with my blog, making it into a more commercial enterprise, doing podcasts, etc, Perm we totally need to do a podcast together, you be the sane, normal, level headed one, I be the Sega fan ranting about how the Dreamcast 2.0 is going to happen. Or something less stereotypical.