Poll

What is your vote for Game of the Decade?

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
26 (23.6%)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
17 (15.5%)
Metroid Prime
30 (27.3%)
Resident Evil 4
9 (8.2%)
Wii Sports
14 (12.7%)
Super Mario Galaxy
14 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: February 25, 2010, 09:28:28 AM

Author Topic: Game of the Decade -- Vote After Listening to RFN 183!  (Read 49264 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Game of the Decade -- Vote After Listening to RFN 183!
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2010, 03:47:21 AM »
I'm not surprised at all by Metroid Prime getting the most votes, but Zelda: Majora's Mask? I guess I just don't get what makes that game so great, I felt it was kind of substandard and forced.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2010, 04:11:55 AM »
I'm not surprised at all by Metroid Prime getting the most votes, but Zelda: Majora's Mask? I guess I just don't get what makes that game so great, I felt it was kind of substandard and forced.

Majora's Mask was designed around a short development cycle, many of the "innovations" were most likely out of necessity to get it out the door on time. To me MM feels like the most non organic Zelda in the series, and LOOKS designed.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »

Majora's Mask was designed around a short development cycle, many of the "innovations" were most likely out of necessity to get it out the door on time. To me MM feels like the most non organic Zelda in the series, and LOOKS designed.

This is an interesting criticism of MM. I think that it has possibly created the most organic world in any game that I've played. There are something like 25 people that you can help in your bombers notebook and each person has there own schedule that they follow with windows of opportunity for you to help. There are only four dungeons but before each dungeon there is a task that must be completed in the dungeons respective town that is like its own dungeon. This is the most organic integration of dungeon like problem solving in any zelda game, better than the yeti's house in TP and better than the well where you get the eye of truth in OoT. Each mask comes with a story and has a function, not to mention that you get a different reaction out of everyone you talk to.

I also think that the locals are much better than in OoT. They are much more specialized and intricate. Clocktown is bigger and more intricate than Hyrule Castle town and Kakariko village put together, the swamp is detailed and introduces the deku scrubs as serious third race, the Gorons are more developed than in death mountain. I always liked Zora's domain better than the Great bay though.

I think that the time limit throws people, and that a lot of people got put off early and didn't really give the game a chance. The game really gets more and more awesome the further into it you play. One thing that I really liked was that right from the start of this game link was a badass. He doesn't have the master sword, and it's not even clear that he has the tri-force of courage, but he has this composure from his previous adventure that stands out to me.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »
So here are the results of the rankings.

Game                             Points     # of No. 1s     Rank in Poll
Metroid Prime4161
Mario Galaxy5834 (tie)
Smash Bros. Melee6253
Majora's Mask6552
Resident Evil 47106
Wii Sports10204 (tie)

The Points column indicates the total number of points each game received.  A number 1 rank was worth 1 point, while a number 6 rank was worth 6 points.  Obviously, the lower number of points the better the game did.  The # of No. 1s column totals the number of times each game received a rank of 1.

There were 19 total votes, which is about 20% of the number in the poll.  It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but you can infer some interesting points.

Mario Galaxy tied for 4th in the poll and it was 4th in number of #1 votes in the ranking system, but it received the second lowest number of points.  Even though the game wasn't #1 for most, it consistently ranked high on everyone's list.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Majora's Mask placed 2nd in the official poll and it tied for 2nd in the number of #1 votes in the ranking system, but it placed 4th in the total number of points.  It seems people either love this game or hate it.

Resident Evil 4 only received 8.2% of the votes in the poll--the lowest number by far--by it beat Wii Sports in number of points by a wide margin and was very close to both Majora's Mask and Smash Bros. Melee in total number of points.

Even though Wii Sports tied for 4th place in the official poll, it received the highest number of points (a bad thing) in the ranking.  The game was ranked #6 by 13 of the 19 people who participated in the ranking!  Then again, no one who participated in the ranking ranked it above #3, so obviously we don't have a fair sample of the general NWR population.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
I think that the time limit throws people, and that a lot of people got put off early and didn't really give the game a chance. The game really gets more and more awesome the further into it you play.
I beat the game. It only got more annoying the more I played it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2010, 09:20:23 PM »
I think that the time limit throws people, and that a lot of people got put off early and didn't really give the game a chance. The game really gets more and more awesome the further into it you play.
I beat the game. It only got more annoying the more I played it.

Sounds like this is supporting the "love it/hate it" observation listed above.  That said, my personal opinion is more in line with what Armak88 posted earlier.

I've been thinking about it more, and there are two other reasons (beyond the surreal story and symbolism) that I love Majora's Mask:
(1) Time actually matters, and you have to set out with a defined goal if you want to accomplish anything.  This gives a sense of urgency when you are playing
(2) Non-playable characters actually do something, instead of staying in the same place and saying the same thing.  I don't remember many games doing this successfully before Majora's Mask - but the idea of a living and evolving world is great, even if the game limited how long it could live for before having to travel back in time and trying to accomplish something different.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
Majora's Mask was easily the worst 3D Zelda, and maybe the worst "canon" Zelda game, so I don't get the love it receives. It was definitely not even the best game of 2000, so I am disappointed it managed to get 2nd place. At least a great game like Metroid Prime won.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
I LOVE STATING OPINION AS FACT.  IT GIVES ME A SENSE OF AUTHORITY.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
That's not fair, vudu. This is an inherently subjective discussion, so saying "in my opinion" or "I think" is technically redundant. Good writing principles are to avoid such phrases when the presence of subjectivity is clear. So yes, while writing "Game X is bad" is an authoritative way of putting it, it is also entirely correct and should not be seen as some kind of power grab.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »
In my defense, TJ Spyke's avatar causes everything he says to come off with a bit of arrogance.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »

Sounds like this is supporting the "love it/hate it" observation listed above.
I would definitely agree with that. I don't think that I've heard anyone say that Majora's Mask is just a good game or was all right, people tend to really love its style and characters or hate it for its structure. I guess I can see some appeal in it with how it is more character-driven and how different it is than other Zelda games, but the time element was just a bother and the dungeon designs were quite a chore and no fun at all. I've played through the game just once though, and as with any game I've been harsh with, I kind of want to give it another chance. The only reason I haven't done so is that I'd rather spend my game time on other things.

That's not fair, vudu. This is an inherently subjective discussion, so saying "in my opinion" or "I think" is technically redundant. Good writing principles are to avoid such phrases when the presence of subjectivity is clear. So yes, while writing "Game X is bad" is an authoritative way of putting it, it is also entirely correct and should not be seen as some kind of power grab.
This is how I tend to view posts on this board, at least when discussing games. Though depending on the subject, sometimes I do find myself writing "I think" or "I feel" just to be clear.

In my defense, TJ Spyke's avatar causes everything he says to come off with a bit of arrogance.
Ha ha.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2010, 06:32:19 PM »

Except TJ did not say 'In my opinion' or 'I think' right there. He stated it as if it was an agreed upon fact.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2010, 06:40:14 PM »
I think Jonny's point was that TJ Spyke shouldn't have to say "in my opinion" as it should be implied.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »
I missed the art where Jonny said "redundant" in his post for some reason.

LOL, I need more coffee before work...
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2010, 10:54:23 AM »
In Vudu's defense, the lack of any supporting statement doesn't help.  Labelling something as good or bad without discussing why you hold that opinion is both less interesting to read and less useful for others who are participating in the discussion.

Of course, that doesn't invalidate the opinion that it could be the "easily the worst" game of the Zelda series.
 ;)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
From playing Majora's Mask for the first time in a long, long time recently. I see the good, and I also see the bad. That first boss was pretty terrible, and the dungeon wasn't too great either. However, the town stuff is a lot of fun, as are the areas around the dungeon.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
I can't remember much from Majora's Mask.  I remember the intro scene, the moon, rolling around in the snow and the third temple which was like a water temple except most of the water was in pipes. 

I agree with mop_it_up and others that the game felt forced and insubstantial compared to other Zelda games.  It just seemed all wrong.  I didn't get very involved with the "sidequests" either.  I recall just wanting to finish the game and be done with it.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »
WELL I LOVE SIDEQUESTS AND HATE YOU.

MM is amazing. Incredible art, incredible music and gameplay concepts that are still amazing because no one has dared tackle them since.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
Finished replaying Ocarina of Time recently and started on Majora's Mask (using the GameCube Collector's Edition disc).  Got almost to the end of the third day without saving when the game froze.  Immense frustration followed, and I can only imagine that if this happened to anyone experiencing the game for this first time it would color their view of the entire game*.

Oh well, will go back at it this weekend... this time with the Virtual Console release that is supposed to be a better emulation.

*On a side note, something similar happened to me when first playing Ocarina of Time on the N64.  The game froze in Zora's Domain while climbing up the big ladder.  I lost a couple hours of progress and all interest in playing further.  The game sat for weeks before I bothered to try again.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
WELL I LOVE SIDEQUESTS AND HATE YOU.

MM is amazing. Incredible art, incredible music and gameplay concepts that are still amazing because no one has dared tackle them since.

Reiterated for Justice.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
Finished replaying Ocarina of Time recently and started on Majora's Mask (using the GameCube Collector's Edition disc).  Got almost to the end of the third day without saving when the game froze.  Immense frustration followed
Similar thing happened to me when playing Majora's Mask on GCN a few years back--the game froze with like an hour left on the third day when I had almost completed the Couple's Mask side-quest.  That quest takes over an hour to complete and I was pretty pissed off

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2010, 02:05:56 AM »
Yup, the GCN port is buggy. It froze on me as well. But that's a problem with the port, not the game itself. I suspect the Wii VC release is more stable.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi