Author Topic: Mafia LXIV: Full Time: Half-Truths and Gorilla Dust  (Read 12585 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXIV: Full Time: Half-Truths and Gorilla Dust
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
On Day 2, Pokepal complained right away that I should be done because a vote was cancelled against me. As I later posted, that seemed odd to me right away as Insanolord indicated nothing about vote nullification or the vote changer's role when he posted the results. For Pokepal to know this, it would seem he'd have to have inside information.

I couldn't figure out why no died either. Looking at the rules, someone should have died but I figured there must be something more to the whole allocation thing and would just have to learn it when the game was over. If I knew I was protected from the vote as well, I'd have probably had a lot more fun with things and done even less to help the townies. Heck, I'd have probably let people try to vote me out again on Day 2. Wouldn't that have been funny. Two days in and still no one voted out or killed by the mafia.

Instead, after watching more votes stupidly pile up against me and realizing that I finally had a role making me immune to mafia hits, I decided I better step up and at least control the vote and prevent my death by it. Still suspicious of Pokepal's comment, I started hitting up everyone in a pm message asking them to join me in voting him out since it was the only good lead we had. This gave me a bit of contact with all the players and resulted in Pokepal's death. Of course, when he finally further elaborated what he had meant, I realized his vote out was a mistake. The problem, though, was that it was very late to change to another target and there was no other major suspect or great option. It would also remove one of the louder voices calling for my death so there was still a plus to it.

I protected myself again because I had the power and like everyone else, didn't realize I'd been a target on the first night. I think if Insanolord had mentioned that, it could have changed things and given the mafia more of a chance. They wouldn't have wasted their hit again on Day 2 by targeting someone else and the vote may have gone differently too. Pokepal may not have campaigned against me and some other townie could have been killed. Maybe even one with a role. But this is how it worked out instead.

Hypotheliciously investigated Stratos and found out he was a townie. He then promptly informed Stratos who he and I were. I was surprised at that since it could always be the godfather you investigated but I also respected that bold play. It payed off to when Stratos informed us that he had been talking with lolmonade who told him he was the Survivor and that Stratos had started talking with Mop it up as well. With my communicating with Spak-Spang who I was 95% sure was a townie at that point, we suddenly had a really good townie alliance happening.

Insanolord, meanwhile, was regretting his decisions about my role as Day 3 rolled around as I was once again number 1 on the allocation chart and was able to fully protect myself from night actions (as well as the day vote which I still didn't know about). So, I decided to help him out. I knew he was probably going to get some flak about it so I told him that in past games, there have been times where I let the doctor protect himself. But to keep it from being too powerful, I limited the amount of protections the doctor could use in a game. We settled on the idea of giving me a maximum of 4 protections to use. 2 had now been used up leaving me with only 2 left.

I decided to vote Stevey since I didn't have any better options yet and he was a player whose identity was still unknown. Plus, he voted for me and now feeling mad with power, I wanted to vote out all my enemies and those who had tried to kill me on Days 1 and 2 in revenge. Despite reaching out to swing the vote on Day 2, I was still not putting much time into the game and still didn't want to do to much digging around because I just didn't have the time. I even advocated to my allies what I call the Scorched Earth strategy. That is where the core block of a group of townies just vote and work together to steamroll over all other players whether mafia or townie to win. In effect, if we knew the identities of 6 players in the game, that left 8 players we didn't know about. If we voted out 1 of those unknown players each day and the detective also investigated one of those roles, then in 4 days, we'd have found out who everyone else is and either have won the game or just need to vote out whatever mafia member was left. At the same time, it sucks for those not in the core block group as their protestations are likely to fall on deaf ears since there is no reason for the core group to listen. It's attrition and eventually the mafia members will be eliminated. I don't like to use it as I prefer to try and get as many players the win as possible but sometimes that's how this game is won.

I was content to be a non-factor in day 3 and let my vote for stevey ride out the day even he wasn't the one voted out. But then suddenly there was a late push against me when I checked in before the deadline so I quickly switched my vote to Shaymin which was fine as I didn't like his placeholder vote for me on Day 2 (revenge!) and he was a player whose identity we needed to learn and his death was one way to reveal it. As it turned out, he ended up being the godfather and I'd say it was at this point that it was game over for the mafia.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
I didn't need to be protected, so good on him.

EDIT: hahaha Khush knowing you, there is nothing I could say to stop you from posting a wall of text. So do it to man. Let's see your thoughts.

I still try and break it up so it doesn't seem too overwhelming.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
I'd say I'd never host again, but this having been the first time I tried to do it on my own and learning a lot from the experience, I may give it another shot. So look forward to six months from now when I do an NHL/Drew Carey Show mafia game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
For Day 3, I decided to use one of my remaining protections on Spak-Spang. I figured the mafia would target someone else know and since Insanolord didn't mention I was protected by the doctor they might think I had the survivor role and not bother me anymore. As it was, Shyguy was targeted and ShyGuy was also who Hypotheliciously was investigating. I had recommended it because I suddenly became paranoid of ShyGuy. He was voting along with me on Day 3 and playing along with me in NewsRadio jokes. In previous mafia games, ShyGuy had buddied up to me before when he was mafia to, I think, make himself appear friendly to me until he then pulled a mafia hit on me and eliminated me from the game. I began to wonder if that behavior was starting to repeat itself. On the other hand, if ShyGuy was innocent, I wanted him on my team and a part of the win. Sadly, the mafia took that goal from me.

The death of Shaymin meant we could now trust Stratos 100% which meant I could also trust his claim of lolmonade being the Survivor. It meant that Mop it up was most likely a townie having started the Shaymin vote and Lucariofan99 was probably a townie as well for seconding the vote and creating the bandwagon to Shaymin's death.

A lot of players were starting to suspect RedBlue but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. He even contacted me as to why he voted me Day 3 which I found odd both in the message and that he would do so but it did cause me to view him as a potential townie for now. With Day 4 being a long day, I didn't bother doing too much with the game until Sunday. Then I finally had a chance to go over everything. There wasn't that much to work with but the list of potential mafia was quite short. It was around this time that Ceric contacted me asking for my help with the vote.

Now, Ceric is an interesting case. I feel I target him a lot in games but that is because I find him a tough read. There's nothing about his game behaviour that I find gives me a clue as to his role. He's also a cautious player to so it is hard to get any info from him. Thus, I do like to target him as a way to learn his role. However, that was to my detriment last game and I didn't want to make the same mistake with him in this one so I had kept back from voting for him on Day 4 but I wasn't inclined to stop it since I wanted to know what his role was. I told him that in my message and also made the appeal for the vote changer to step forward in the public thread to keep from making a big mistake. As it turned out, Ceric was the vote changer. I immediately sent out messages to all my townie allies to change their vote. The question was, to who?

With Ceric stepping forward, I had 3 players left who I had yet to place as townie or mafia. Brandogg, Stevey and Nickmitch. I finally got around to writing a mafia thesis about my suspicions of the game and who I thought was innocent or guilty (including a lengthy pm on why I believed RedBlue to be innocent. Can't win 'em all.)  I felt Brandogg was most likely a townie and disinterested first time player. Even so, I didn't like the fact that he could potentially join in the coming townie victory by doing nothing and knew the mafia probably wouldn't target him. I didn't want to waste an investigation on him either so I asked the other townies if they'd be fine voting for him even though there was a 90% chance he was a townie and it meant the mafia would probably get another hit in on potentially one of us. As it was, the group was fine with it since we did need to discover his role somehow so we tossed him.

With only 1 protection left, I decided to hold on to it. As it was, Spak-Spang was targeted that night. I was afraid he might be a target and I picked the wrong day to save him and hold on to the protection. Spak-Spang was the player who most got screwed over by the mafia. He was a big help and although I thought he was biased about RedBlue, he was finally right about him this game. Meanwhile, Hypoliciously investigated Mop it up which surprised me. I expected him to check Stevey or Nickmitch since I felt the Shaymin vote exonerated Mop it up. She was just a townie.

Day 5's choice was Stevey and Nickmitch at this point. They were potentially both mafia and if wasn't them, then Lucariofan or RedBlue or both were the mafia. I'd recently entered a period of détente with Nickmitch when we backed away from voting for each other on Day 2 and took out Pokepal instead but hadn't had any contact with him since and didn't like his lack of voting. Still, I felt bad targeting him after making peace and not having any concrete evidence so I rolled the dice with targeting Stevey. Plus, it allowed me to take out another player who had targeted me. (Revenge!) Meanwhile, Hypotheliciously investigated Nickmitch and he came back a townie. That was surprising but I was glad to finally know I didn't have to worry about Nickmitch or that I'd made a mistake in letting him live. Now knowing the identity of all townie roles and 3 other townies, I figured it was time we consolidate our effort and made a group pm to fill everyone in on who was who and what was going on and why. With a townie alliance that was 7 members strong, it was just a way of further locking down the game. And an alliance with such strong players in it as well? This game was really becoming unfair to the mafia.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
The result of Day 5 showed that Stevey was mafia. I told the group I would use my protection on Hypotheliciously. I didn't tell them it was my last protection left though since Insanolord wasn't saying anything about limited protections and I wanted players to think I had unlimited protections. Part of me wanted to just use it on myself and ensure I made it to the victory but after stating I would be unselfish, I didn't want to have the horrible possibility of Hypotheliciously getting whacked and then everyone asking what happened and looking like a bigger jerk than normal. Plus, Hypotheliciously even talked to me about trying to be antagonistic to the potential mafia members and draw the hit his way to protect the other players. I hoped that they would target Lolmonade who had been part of the Day 1 controversy and at least waste a hit that way. Fortunately, the mafia was kind and did not make a hit, thereby not denying anyone else a chance at the coming victory.

This meant the last member was Lucariofan99 or RedBlue. Hypotheliciously investigated Lucariofan and found that he was a townie also. Process of elimination meant that RedBlue was the last mafia member. Of course, the other possibility was that there was that the Vote Changer Ceric or Survivor Lolmonade was lying about their role and that RedBlue was actually one of those roles. Thus, after making myself seem like a target to keep him talking, I asked what role he had and he choose townie which he could not be thanks to the detective's investigations. At that point, I revealed to him what was happening and tried to see if anyone would help me take back the number 1 allocation spot after all I had done for them but, I guess the players didn't appreciate my efforts that much and Ceric even stabbed me in the back with the vote change after I saved him on Day 4. :(

Sorry ShyGuy and Spak-Spang. I wanted to get a win with you both. Not sorry to Brandogg who probably won't read this anyways just like he probably stopped coming to this part of the forum after Day 1. Oh snap! As for Pokepal148, I'd say this makes us even now.

In the end, I figured the mafia would probably be upset with Insanolord for having two roles that could protect themselves from the hit. That said, after the first two days, I was vulnerable so the chance was there to take me out. I also had thought they had a chance on Day 1 to vote me out then but it turns out I was protected from that too. Plus, I didn't try to play the game seriously until Sunday at the end of Day 4. While Insanolord may need to do a bit better job of providing info to the players on what roles can do and what happens with night actions, to completely fault him on not telling the mafia players who they are working with isn't just on him. If I was told I was mafia but I wasn't told who else was in the mafia, I'd be contacting the host and asking for that information before I even posted anything in Day thread or contacted anyone. Mistakes can happen but that doesn't mean you have to play reactively. You can be proactive. I was proactive about asking about my role and protecting myself. Looking for loopholes is a part of the game too.

One last thought, I find this game interesting in that aside from the first investigation of me revealing I was the protector, every other investigation done by Hypotheliciously resulted in him finding a townie. It turned out to be a big help but in the end, he or we, never actually investigated a mafia member or another townie role yet it was still a very successful game for the townies. It did mean I was nervous about every vote though and whether we had the right person targeted.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
Taking Shaymin out early also helped a lot because it meant you could trust an investigation showing someone was a townie.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
Did I win?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
I don't think I've had a win in a while, so it was nice to get one even if it's a bit cheap.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
I still don't trust him.

vote khushrenada
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
By the Rules of this game I am the Supreme Winner with the Allocation # of One :P:

Also its good to be useful and have a backup plan if things go south.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
I don't think I've had a win in a while, so it was nice to get one even if it's a bit cheap.
um... you're welcome...?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 01:58:14 AM »
um... you're welcome...?

Pretty sure I'm the sole winner of that game by disqualification.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
To Khush's credit, when it became apparent that his role, especially with him in it, was overpowered, we came to an agreement in regard to limiting it. The damage was done after day 1, though.
To be fair you aren't the first person to give him an overpowered role, *cough*Gigan*cough*

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
clearly i did everything! ::)
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
It's hard to deny that considering you helped kill the Godfather which pretty much tipped the scales to a townie victory. The godfather even dissed you on his way out but you came out the winner there.