Author Topic: NHL 11 - 360/PS3  (Read 2813 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
NHL 11 - 360/PS3
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
10/10
If you have any interest in owning a hockey game and own a 360 or PS3, go buy this right now, because it's the best one that's ever been made.

EA's NHL series on the HD consoles has been fantastic for the last few years. This game doesn't radically change the formula (which is good, because you wouldn't want them to), but they refine whats there to make an already great game even better. The biggest change this year is the face-off system, which, like last years revamp of the fighting mechanic, adds a lot of depth to what was, while certaintly not bad, one of the weakest and shallowest parts of the game. Instead of just mindlessly flicking the right stick, taking a face-off requires more thought, with several different ways of approaching it, each with its own advantages.

Another of my (and NWR Site Director Jon Lindemann's) favorite additions in this year's version is the inclusion of all of the teams in the three leagues that make up the Canadian Hockey League. This means my hometown Erie Otters are in the game, with all the real player names, which, like the MLB games including my local minor league team, is pretty cool. This feature won't appeal to many Americans, because, as the name implies, the CHL is comprised of mostly Canadian teams, but its a cool little feature for people in places that have these teams.

I knew about these features going in, but one thing I didn't know about was the soundtrack. Most modern sports games go with a set of modern songs, which many people would just ignore or swap out for their own music. NHL 11, on the other hand, does something I don't remember seeing another sports game (outside of maybe college sports games) try: they licensed a set of songs comprised primarily of songs you'd hear in an actual arena. Because of this, you'll hear things like "Rock & Roll Part 2" and Europe's "The Final Countdown." I think this adds a great atmosphere to the game.

To sum it up: buy this game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent