Author Topic: PGC Back in the Hizzouse  (Read 6500 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: PGC Back in the Hizzouse
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2003, 06:20:45 AM »
I agree with you to a point there thecubedcanuck. But some one by my reconking is using PGC for target pratice. But even then some kevlar would have did the job.

Yes I know this site is free, I know the ads pay for the web space etc, I know you guys work for free, but why for so long? I know Rick has came through for everybody before. What happened to the magic? Would you guys like to issue some sort of press release of your own into this forum?

I fear the worse...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:PGC Back in the Hizzouse
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2003, 07:17:50 AM »
As you guys already know, the problem is not as fixed as I thought it was when I posted this thread.  That magical hardware turned out to be not as magical as I was told it would be, although it does work reasonably well when it's installed.  The problem is that the hackers are figuring out ways to circumvent it, so pretty much every day we have to take the thing back out, upgrade it, and then reinstall it.  While it's out of the system, PGC is completely vulnerable and tends to be totally unresponsive.  After the reinstallation, it works great for several hours until the hackers trick it again.

I don't know whether this cycle will close up, i.e. we only have to upgrade once per week or something.  If it doesn't, and this business of the site being up and down, up and down, up and down continues, we are prepared to take drastic measures.  You are all very correct in saying that the ads and pop-ups are supposed to pay for good hosting and technical support, and it's not right for us to make you deal with all that junk unless we can provide an excellent site in good working condition.  Again, please be patient and know that we are working very hard on the issue.  We are extremely concerned about losing readers and advertisers because of this, but there is no way in hell that I'm going to let PGC die to some hacker punk kid.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2003, 08:18:52 AM »
I'm prepared to wait. In the end, it's absolutely worth it

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2003, 10:32:38 AM »
why on gods green earth would someone be messing with PGC for this long already? This just doesnt seen realistic to me, I honestly find this hard to believe.
Has the law been called in to deal with it as it would clearly be considered criminal conduct by now?
Has the "HACKER" been indentified?
Why is he/she doing this?

It all seems a little odd to me.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2003, 10:55:28 AM »
Hot Dogs seem a little odd to me, but I still eat 'em.  The Aussies are odd and I still talk to 'em.  I am odd and I'm still awesome.  See?  Odd is good!

How this pertains to PGC, I don't know.  But odd is still good.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2003, 09:25:05 PM »

but there is no way in hell that I'm going to let PGC die to some hacker punk kid.

Exactly the words I wanted to hear.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2003, 09:33:55 PM »
i think PGC needs a militant wing...

i agree cubedcanuck, it doesn't seem right that PGC would be under fire from some peonic h4x00r(s) for this long, they must REALLY have a great hate for nintendo/pgc that and an assload of time on their hands.

find out where they live >=D

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2003, 11:38:10 PM »
How about going for a Linux server next time? From what I got of Netcraft you're using a Microsoft server. If you change the server's OS the attackers would have to rewrite their scripts (or, more likely, can't attack you anymore).