Author Topic: "Hey I'm new!" Official Introduce Yourself to the Internet Thread  (Read 893468 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: "Hey I'm new!" Official Introduce Yourself to the Internet Thread
« Reply #2125 on: November 20, 2009, 04:58:49 PM »
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any suggestions on how we can be more inviting?

Personality I don't think it is any worse than most other places. It is always difficult to be new no matter where you go.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 20, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
LOL, 'be less creepy' got it ;)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 20, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
Be more specific, please. Do I need to be less affectionate or something?

:kisses:

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 20, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
This is very true, some forums have a way worse atmosphere, it all depends on what attracts people to join, if it's something that inspires strong feelings then the atmosphere of the forum seems to reflect accordingly.  I don't find this to be an unwelcoming forum, as I have found other places, just simply the people who choose to post here are very well-versed in the subject matter so it can be easy to feel intimidated as someone who does not know as much as the people who post here.  Par example, I have been around here since this was Planet Gamecube, so there must be something I like about this place, but I still don't feel I know as much as the others here so I've never felt inspired to speak up and announce my presence.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
I was actually the same way. I registered almost five years ago but pretty much didn't post until last year. There are some pretty stimulating conversations here and it can be difficult to jump in and join them, especially when nobody really knows you. I also have the problem that conversations tend to develop in between visits and are pretty much finished by the time I log on. But, I think there comes a point when you need to swallow your anxiety and just start posting. Like EasyCure said, people here aren't as serious as they may seem, so you just need some time to get comfortable.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: November 21, 2009, 01:39:48 AM »
wow Mop_it_up agrees with me! I'll drink to that!

Welcome aboard silvergrey, glad you decided to post. I know how you feel, because i've been there. I lurked since PGC too and wasn't until 2006 that i decided to post (still meaning to edit that post into something readable... ah, someday). Even after i got around to posting, I wasn't sure i'd do much posting.. but i tried it anyway. half the time i'd post to something kinda late and the conversations had moved on, so my post felt ignored because there were never any direct replies to them. to be honest it was a lidded discouraging but i stayed because i loved just reading what people had to say around this place, and eventually i felt like i had finally broke into the pack.

Hell there's at least one poster here thats been here longer than I have that still feels like he can't hang with the big boys, so to speak, but recently broke out of his shell. We even devoted a month to him! Can we get Caterkiller in here to share his thoughts on the subject?

ps. Great title ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 21, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
I don't find this to be an unwelcoming forum, as I have found other places, just simply the people who choose to post here are very well-versed in the subject matter so it can be easy to feel intimidated as someone who does not know as much as the people who post here.

We're not any more versed on things than those at any other forum (GameFAQS excluded).  ;)  We're just a small community and most of us have already established our personality, views, etc.  (For reference, I'm the smart prick.)  Basically, we just argue about the same stuff over and over again, but since we've already done it a dozen times before we've perfected our arguments so we come of as knowledgeable.  Practice makes perfect.  ;D

ps. Great title ;)

Thank you.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
i'll have to question the "smart" part... more like "prick who loves charts" :P
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 21, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
I'm always serious for the record!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 21, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
seriously disturbing

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:02 PM »
So am I going to be considered rude that in the thread slated for introductions I have said nothing that could qualify as introductory about myself?  Other than calling you all intimidating, that is.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 21, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »
not at all. it's a nice change for this thread.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 21, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
Today the introductions thread, tomorrow the whole forum! The Dictator-for-Life of the Funhouse, BnM, will not stop until all the boards are bent to his will.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 21, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
Well, unlike certain little neat freaks & blood drinkers, who shall go un-named, I'm campaigning on actual results and not just meaningless banter.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:17 PM »
So am I going to be considered rude that in the thread slated for introductions I have said nothing that could qualify as introductory about myself?  Other than calling you all intimidating, that is.
It's quite all right. You're not obligated to make any sort of introduction if you don't feel comfortable.

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2009, 11:59:19 PM »
Really it's more that introductions always come off as sounding like you've joined some sort of self-help program.  Hi, I'm so-and-so and I'm here because I like video games.  I started playing video games a few years ago and so on and so forth.  My introductions go much better if someone wants to know something about me and thus asks.  Hey SilverGrey do you like Mario games?  Yes, in theory I do, but I am truly terrible at them and the thought of having to play co-op with someone where I could potentially kill them through my ill-timed jumps is a rather frightening thought.  I seem to suffer from inability to jump onto a moving platform, if only there was a self-help group to join for that.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 22, 2009, 12:06:37 AM »
Ha ha, you should start that self-help group. My sister would join it, she's also pretty bad at judging distances for those moving platforms. She isn't very good at hitting the moving question mark blocks either, sometimes I have to step in and hit it or else we'll be there for a while...

Anyways, I never thought of an introduction that way before, that's an interesting comparison. Though I don't think it is necessary to say anything about yourself, you could just pop in and say "Hi!" if you wanted, or skip the whole thing and go post in the topics which pique your interest. I certainly wouldn't consider that rude, and I doubt anybody else would, either.

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 22, 2009, 12:16:31 AM »
Yay my group is already expanding!  Now your sister and I can commiserate over poor spatial-reasoning.  I blame the fact that I had zero exposure to games until I went away to college, and by that point we were already into the Gamecube era so I never experienced the typical side-scrolling game.  Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  See, it still sounds like a self-help group confession!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:10 AM »
lol, sorry.
Would it really be such a bad thing if we WERE a self-help group? We can help old fogies deal with the games of today.  ;D

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 22, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
Nah, I think if you had to be part of a self-help group, it'd be much more fun to be part of one that played games.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: November 22, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »
SilverGrey sounds like he has a topic for his first funhouse thread... *hint hint*

Offline SilverGrey

• GP replacement
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 22, 2009, 04:27:40 PM »
And for my very first truly personal introductory comment........

SilverGrey is a SHE.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 22, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
Get out.  While you still can.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 22, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
LOL, the last female to join got on a forum 'game show' to be paired with one of the forum 'bachelors'.

Though GoldenPhoenix and Mop it up will be happy to have another girl on here.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: November 22, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
did anyone call you a he though? Why bother bringing it up? Take vudu's advice or, if anything, just don't bring it up much.

i wouldn't want you to end up like someone else i know..